Anyone else anticipating the new Cerberus Audio thingy?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am about to test it later today. I can't say anything obviously but can at least say whether it's the bees knees or not!

I appreciate anything you can offer, Theo, but the problem with this plug-in is that it seems to be totally unique. I can't really even guess what category to put it in. It seems to be a hybrid that is based on a new approach. EQ, compressor, saturator, filter?

Just too much to have to guess about.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

A.M. Gold wrote:I appreciate anything you can offer, Theo, but the problem with this plug-in is that it seems to be totally unique. I can't really even guess what category to put it in. It seems to be a hybrid that is based on a new approach. EQ, compressor, saturator, filter?

Just too much to have to guess about.
They say it uses a unique comb filter, so that's puts it firmly in the Personal Hygiene category. It can make my tracks less stinky, I'm all for it. :D
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

Dave i realised i can't say much as any way i have tried to word it it seems to give too much away. I will say it's not what i thought it was and i need to thoroughly and i mean it, read the manual. I will say it's a dynamics tool that seems quite unique.. a tool not a special FX.. and that 5 minutes ago it made a drab vocal stand out and kick ass. So.. take that as a positive :)

A.M. Gold wrote:How does that help any of the rest of us?
I cannot overemphasize the importance of beta testing during the pre-release phase, and of Quality Assurance in general.
A.M. Gold wrote: Will you or will you not post audio demos to give some kind of idea of what this thing does to the sounds it processes before May 1st?
That is planned. However, it won't happen until the factory presets are completed.
A.M. Gold wrote:If not, I can't do your $18 deal. Volt is nice, but it's a luxury I may never even use.
Anyone can try it for free and then decide whether it is worth the price.
welcome to epoch
enjoy volt

Yes, but that's not the point. The point is you are offering a two for one.

I can pretty much guarantee you won't sell many licenses for Volt based on this two for one offer. Volt is cheap enough that if someone wanted it, they would already have bought it.

Throwing in a license for a big "X" plug-in that has a unique approach that people can only guess about the effect of is unlikely to make people want Volt when they didn't want it already. The offer you are giving here, I'm afraid, makes no sense.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

TheoM wrote:Dave i realised i can't say much as any way i have tried to word it it seems to give too much away. I will say it's not what i thought it was and i need to thoroughly and i mean it, read the manual. I will say it's a dynamics tool that seems quite unique.. a tool not a special FX.. and that 5 minutes ago it made a drab vocal stand out and kick ass. So.. take that as a positive :)
So it's more a compressor than an EQ? Did it alter the tone of the vocal?

Grrr i am not sure what to say.. yes.. it can.. is that ok Cerberus? but again not in the way you may think. You CAN do some weird stuff with it with certain knobs if that's your thing, too. Anyway i better stop there, as i don't want to say the wrong thing either, as i myself am learning it. The vocal trick impressed me though. And it really balanced it as it was quite unruly.

Anyway i can see many buying this. I can say THIS! it's stable already.. it hasn't set a foot wrong yet, cpu is a *tad* high but i am sure that can be optimised, and it's gorgeous (well that's their trademark!), and latency reporting is thankfully spot on right off the bat (the amount of plugins that reported incorrectly first release.. arghh!! and then the ones that still do.. double ARGHHH! thankfully this is not one of them)

Cerberus audio are very cool people by the way. IMO they released the most useful freebie in the WORLD and deserve mega respect for it. After all, what is more precious than your ears and speakers? :wink:

You know, even the best limiters sometimes fail when you first hit play, it happens a bit ion logic, but NOTHING gets through ice (i have it on the master after the protection limiter i have when mixing). Oh, and it uses 0.5% of a core :lol:

The weird thing is, Cerberus did not tell me at all what i could or couldn't say.. so.. i am just doing what my conscience tells me.. cool?

Well, there's still two weeks, maybe they'll feel ready to put up sound examples in that time. I was actually attracted to it as some kind of adaptive EQ more than as a compressor, since I'm prety happy with the compressors I have. I'll just sit tight for now. I'll keep working with Volt and see if there's something about I really feel I can use too. It's got something going but I'm still not convinced it's head and shoulders above a conventional fader or track volume automation. It's complex,too---not intuitively easy to figure out.

Their automute is good, but I think the Reaper automute, which I leave on on all tracks all the time, is good enough. Never failed me yet.

Oh ok well for people who don't use reaper man... of course the reaper one is good enough.. but for me ICE was a life saver. And you know my feelings on the reaper.... :wink:

Mostly what it's saved me from is my nasty habit of accidentally double clicking the master fader which shoots it up instantly to 0 db. :shock:

Reminds me, I really need to figure out how to disable that function.

disable the double click fader or the protection?

TheoM wrote:disable the double click fader or the protection?
Double click. I really have no practical use for it anyway.

I want to add one more observation about the situation with the pre-release sale of Epoch.

Cerberus stated that beta testing for the necessary period was important. Granted. But how does that prohibit the plug-in developer themselves from posting audio examples (not a full plug-in demo) of whatever the plug-in is capable of doing? Why is a complete beta period necessary for that? The basic capabilities of the plug-in should already be established before the beta period even begins.

If you are actually offering pre-sale of a plug-in, surely you are confident of it enough to show audio examples of what it can do. That's not at all the same as releasing a demo version to the general public.

If looking for unusuall modulation and filtering effects - check out Enigma:
http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=248

Return to “Effects”