recommend me a reverb as good as valhalla

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

valhallasound wrote: Jon Dattorro (his 1997 AES paper had a reverb design that was uncomfortably close to some Lexicon reverbs)

Sean Costello
I think the TK DatoReverb was based on this design:

http://tkplugins.free.fr/products.html

I was a big fan of this reverb a few years ago... it was one of my "secret weapons" so to speak.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Michael Carnes wrote:
crewtr909 wrote:Pantheon2 from Lexicon sounds good too
Pantheon was a port of some basic code provided to the Salt Lake facility when the brand was in the process of moving. It was done by a very bright person who was lacking some key information. This was never reviewed by either David Griesinger or me, and unfortunately slipped through without being corrected. It should never have had the Lexicon label.
That's the advantage of being a one person company. There's no question of who did the work, and who's job it is to review and correct the work. :D

The only reverb algorithms I regret are ones that seemed like a decent idea at the time, but history has not proved as kind to. I'm not sure how useful the "small" mode is in Shimmer, which might have more to do with the specific delay length equations than the actual architecture, but it is too late to change it now. Once a plugin ships, you can't just change the sound of it, as you never know who is using that mode in the plugin for their own work.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote: That's the advantage of being a one person company. There's no question of who did the work, and who's job it is to review and correct the work. :D
You don't have to look far for a scapegoat, either!

Michael Carnes wrote:
valhallasound wrote: That's the advantage of being a one person company. There's no question of who did the work, and who's job it is to review and correct the work. :D
You don't have to look far for a scapegoat, either!
Fortunately, I find that I have compassion for my mid-2010 self (in the case of the "small" ValhallaShimmer algorithm I'm not that fond of) and my early-2011 self (in the case of the Medium Room algorithm in ValhallaRoom, which also isn't a favorite of mine). The 2010-2011 version of me was working until 3 in the morning on a regular basis, so I gotta cut that guy some slack.

Sean Costello

Igro wrote:Interesting when we see Variverb released separately from Samplitude?
http://pro.magix.com/en/audio-plugins/v ... .1574.html
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

codec_spurt wrote:
I was going to buy the vintage verb next week.

Guess the time has come. This is a damned fine reverb.

My ears are a bit dull and I couldn't really tell the difference from the others - Room and Shimmer that is.

But this one just seemed more versatile so I got it. It still sounded quite exceptional.

Amazing reverb.

I'll probably buy Verbiage next, but for now, I am very happy with this.

:)

sascha wrote:
Igro wrote:Interesting when we see Variverb released separately from Samplitude?
Vari Verb is an AMAZING sounding reverb. Sacha, any idea if it's possible to install the thing so that the additional 20 or so .dll files do NOT get installed in the VstPlugins directory? This is currently my main issue with the plugin because it confuses Reaper unless I turn on the "use real plugin name" option. I'd rather keep my plugin list so that it scans only the .dll names as I'm used to it and it's more convenient for renaming stuff. Now I end up with over 20 magix .dll files which makes it a real chore to find the correct one!

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I find Spark reverb in Machfive 3 to be very nice though the disadvantage is it is only available in Machfive. Most parameters available to modulate through internal modulators as well as midi. It's also not hard to see where they got there inspiration from with presets called shimmer etc.

bmanic wrote:
sascha wrote:
Vari Verb is an AMAZING sounding reverb. Sacha, any idea if it's possible to install the thing so that the additional 20 or so .dll files do NOT get installed in the VstPlugins directory? This is currently my main issue with the plugin because it confuses Reaper unless I turn on the "use real plugin name" option. I'd rather keep my plugin list so that it scans only the .dll names as I'm used to it and it's more convenient for renaming stuff. Now I end up with over 20 magix .dll files which makes it a real chore to find the correct one!

Cheers!
bManic
As I don't work for Magix any more, my power is limited here. I'm aware of those issues, we've had that since day 1 when we released the built-in plugins as VSTs.

I also encountered 'false alarms' in Sonar & Studio One, which made me kind of facepalm back then... Frankly, a 'good' host shouldn't be that dumb as to load - and actually *start* - every dll blindly. VST has a clearly-stated entry point and mechanisms to decide whether we have a VST plugin or whatever library. It's easy as abc to just scan a DLL and discard it when you don't find any reference to the VST API.

Of course one can always put further plugin-associated binaries elsewhere on the disk, but I don't think it's that good, considering a typical user's system with a cluttered hard disk.

Anyway, wasn't my decision either, back then. The unlock mechanism - called Protein internally - relies on that structure currently.

Perhaps you can try contacting André Standke in Dresden (support@samplitude.com, perhaps ask to forward your mail), he's also the Sequoia product manager and probably the right guy to talk to. Maybe he can put this on the table again, as all the c/p stuff got revised anyway lately, because of the Mac ports. I don't know how it works on the Mac actually, but I can imagine they use different folder structures there :shrug:
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Lexicon. It's not expensive since they dropped the prices (LXP is about $179 and cheaper, MPX $89 and cheaper).

4damind wrote:Lexicon. It's not expensive since they dropped the prices (LXP is about $179 and cheaper, MPX $89 and cheaper).
iLok2 protected, i cannot even evaluate the demo version owning the previous ilok key version

weird... :? :shock:

Krakatau wrote:
4damind wrote:Lexicon. It's not expensive since they dropped the prices (LXP is about $179 and cheaper, MPX $89 and cheaper).
iLok2 protected, i cannot even evaluate the demo version owning the previous ilok key version

Yes, but you need also an iLok2 for other very interesting stuff like Exponential Audio, Slate Digital, Eventide, (Softube?),...

vaisnava wrote:Audio Damage EOS
+1
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

4damind wrote:
Krakatau wrote:

Yes, but you need also an iLok2 for other very interesting stuff like Exponential Audio, Slate Digital, Eventide, (Softube?),...
Not the softube RC-24 and RC-48 released by NI.

With those two RC reverbs by NI, the ValhallaVintageVerb (and others), 2caudio etc. there really isn't any need to go iLok for those against it now. A few years ago, there was a bit of a void in the vintage reverb department for those who don't like dongles, but there's a plethora now for that lexicon type vibe.

sascha wrote:
Ohh, thanks! Downloading the demo here. The price is biting though. I don't know if they offer any academic discounts...

I love my RP-verb, but on some sources it produces an unpleasant noise, like "shhhhhhh". Valhalla has a cleaner sound and sounds better on "razor" leads, so i might buy it anytime soon. The only downside thing in VRoom is kinda subtle metallic modulated tails (in Halls algos) but it's not THAT audible.

Return to “Effects”