recommend me a reverb as good as valhalla

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

valhallasound wrote:
So, the #1 album on the Billboard charts this week is "saturated" with Valhalla DSP plugins. So I've got that goin' for me. Which is nice.

Sean Costello
Damn, there goes the $50 price point. :lol:
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

noiseprovesnothing wrote:
ferez21 wrote:No love for d16's Toraverb? :(
One of the most underrated reverbs in existence, and the price, even cheaper than Valhalla!
Honestly, Syntorus and LUSH-101 left me so underwhelmed I'm hesitant to even take the time to download their demos.

It's too bad that SKnote one induces so much latency - it's $20 and sounds great.
wow. I put syntorus as one of the very best chorus plugins available on any platform at any price. I guess we are all so different!

And Lush? Yeah.. i think it's pretty stunning as well.

I am not huge on toraverb, it is only for massive wishy wash, maybe you'll like it? as that's the one i don't click with lol.

I never realised the sknote reverb has latency.. are you sure? and you really like the sound of that the way it is?
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

noiseprovesnothing wrote:I demoed a number of reverbs today, including Breeze, which was touted to be light on CPU, and actually took a bigger hit than the AAR reverb did. VVV sounded really nice, but the winner for CPU turned out to be the Max for Live Convolution Reverb Pro. It's not quite as nice as the algorithmic AAR or VVV, but ultimately? It's already paid for. ;)

I'm hoping Fabfilter makes an algorithmic reverb one day as I'm a huge fan of their products, but until then, what I already have is fine.
Breeze is not light on cpu at all, they just mean lighter than aether. it's relative usage is high.

Thanks Theo - thought I was crazy. :) I'll give Syntorus another try, but I was much more impressed with Valhalla's Über-mod.

ArtsAcoustic reverb used to be my go-to for years, but it took them so long to go 64-bit I started looking for alternatives about one year ago.

Nowadays I use Eareverb, and it's really, really good -- I have to admit I personally like it better. Smooth, natural, good both for music and sound design. Especially as the new AAR still has some issues after it finally went 64-bit (bugs and license weirdness), I'm staying with Eareverb.

Highly recommended, and don't forget to tweak :)

Edit: awwh, I read my message again, and it might be perceived too harsh: I want to emphasize that ArtsAcoustic Reverb is an excellent reverb as well. And to be fair, there are multiple enhancements in the new version I haven't tried yet. I've gotten so much good use out of the earlier versions, I recommend trying out AAR as well. The bugs in the recent release will most probably be fixed very soon.

noiseprovesnothing wrote:Thanks Theo - thought I was crazy. :) I'll give Syntorus another try, but I was much more impressed with Valhalla's Über-mod.
but ubermod is not designed for one task, syntorus is.. to provide lush warm analog chorus. it's is ease of use with results that appeals to me personally (and others here who use it).

Ubermod is a different beast, and capable of 100 times more than syntorus, of course! It's on my list someday to complete my valhalla quadrilogy, well, pentalogy? cause i am waiting for the delay to get it's 64 bits version, freeby or not, it's valhalla :grin:

Guenon wrote:ArtsAcoustic reverb used to be my go-to for years, but it took them so long to go 64-bit I started looking for alternatives about one year ago.

Nowadays I use Eareverb, and it's really, really good -- I have to admit I personally like it better. Smooth, natural, good both for music and sound design. Especially as the new AAR still has some issues after it finally went 64-bit (bugs and license weirdness), I'm staying with Eareverb.

Highly recommended, and don't forget to tweak :)

Edit: awwh, I read my message again, and it might be perceived too harsh: I want to emphasize that ArtsAcoustic Reverb is an excellent reverb as well. And to be fair, there are multiple enhancements in the new version I haven't tried yet. I've gotten so much good use out of the earlier versions, I recommend trying out AAR as well. The bugs in the recent release will most probably be fixed very soon.
AAR still stands pretty strongly as it's quite shapeable to fit into a mix, but to compare with earverb is probably not the correct one to compare with as earverb is a completely different animal.

I am still waiting to hear back if i can ever update my NFR of aar :shrug:

Until then, more than happy with what i've got. That said, i get pretty lost in AAR and along with RP they were my two faves for yonks.. I wonder if i do get the update and start using it again (it's been well over a year), if i'll find less of a need for other stuff.. time will tell...

RP verb fwiw to the OP has a very unique sound. A very viable option. It does not sound like valhalla at ALL and they could totally complement each other brilliantly! It can be metallic but it can sound absolutely LUSCIOUS. It's a dark reverb, so.. that is another thing to consider. But it's still a great plugin today. It can be had for $130 ish from memory. It's got some interesting vintage swirling sound on a couple of algo's as well. There's a few of them, clean, vintage, moving, etc from memory, Very nice. It can be small, or made absolutely mammothly huge.. so it's pretty versatile and has all the necessary eq options to make it fit.

TheoM wrote:I can only say i am truly stunned by both the ni 24 and 48.. They are without a doubt my go to's now.

I also own and use V room, Shimmer and VVV, and the amazing earReckon earreverb. I use the ear verb for my "i want to wetten this up to make it sit but not be obvious" earth reverb. For that it's my favourite of what i own.

between those i completely stopped using lexicon even and have decided against the exponential ones (i can't personally see the value for a $400 bundle).

i use breverb 2 for my reverse special effects as i have tried every single alternative i can think of and nothing comes close. Surprisingly logic's enverb gets most of the way there but that works only in logic of course.

breverb's reverse mode is what a true reverse reverb is all about and is just untouchable, really. However if someone wants an all round reverb i can also recommend breverb 2 as being quite stunning in every department, but personally i just go for the ni's cause they are so easy to get results (breverb can do everything imaginable but has pages and pages of controls)

But if you want the lot.. i recommend breverb as it gates (in tempo) has tempo pre delay, and 7 modes with every eq imaginable.. not just a simple high cut here for example, and i do find it much easier to use than aether.

Now finally, something rarely talked about for ages, and i guess some people don't even realise there is a mac 64 bit version as well as windows, and a complete excellent gui overhall, is magix varieverb.

It is just *that* good, that the demo has completely floored me. It is possibly one of the silkiest natural reverb i have ever heard. However, i am not biting, cause i simply have enough covered. if i was starting again, or didn't have many reverbs, i would seriously look into varieverb, so would also like to give that my absolute thumbs up for anyone looking for a new verb.
Another genius post, Theo! Can you tell more about your impressions about this"This has I use the ear verb for my "i want to wetten this up to make it sit but not be obvious" earth reverb." Is the ear verb versatile or is it more of a one trick pony? I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but when you say that about the earth reverb are you basically saying it's good for ambience and space but sounds more natural than others?

I have breverb and I like it but I'm not blown away by it. I also have Samplitude 11 Pro but overlooked the potential to variaverb. Which of these two do you personally prefer?

Lastly, have you trued the U-He Uhbik? It looks like an awesome package but I wish it was sold in individual components as well. I was wondering if you tried the reverb against some of the others, especially since you mentioned how much you like variaverb that was programmed by Sascha.

TheoM wrote:
wow. I put syntorus as one of the very best chorus plugins available on any platform at any price. I guess we are all so different!

And Lush? Yeah.. i think it's pretty stunning as well.

I am not huge on toraverb, it is only for massive wishy wash, maybe you'll like it? as that's the one i don't click with lol.
toraverb i dont like, but, i need to try syntorus. tal chorus lx is pretty awesome though.

AC222 wrote:
TheoM wrote:I can only say i am truly stunned by both the ni 24 and 48.. They are without a doubt my go to's now.

I also own and use V room, Shimmer and VVV, and the amazing earReckon earreverb. I use the ear verb for my "i want to wetten this up to make it sit but not be obvious" earth reverb. For that it's my favourite of what i own.

between those i completely stopped using lexicon even and have decided against the exponential ones (i can't personally see the value for a $400 bundle).

i use breverb 2 for my reverse special effects as i have tried every single alternative i can think of and nothing comes close. Surprisingly logic's enverb gets most of the way there but that works only in logic of course.

breverb's reverse mode is what a true reverse reverb is all about and is just untouchable, really. However if someone wants an all round reverb i can also recommend breverb 2 as being quite stunning in every department, but personally i just go for the ni's cause they are so easy to get results (breverb can do everything imaginable but has pages and pages of controls)

But if you want the lot.. i recommend breverb as it gates (in tempo) has tempo pre delay, and 7 modes with every eq imaginable.. not just a simple high cut here for example, and i do find it much easier to use than aether.

Now finally, something rarely talked about for ages, and i guess some people don't even realise there is a mac 64 bit version as well as windows, and a complete excellent gui overhall, is magix varieverb.

It is just *that* good, that the demo has completely floored me. It is possibly one of the silkiest natural reverb i have ever heard. However, i am not biting, cause i simply have enough covered. if i was starting again, or didn't have many reverbs, i would seriously look into varieverb, so would also like to give that my absolute thumbs up for anyone looking for a new verb.
Another genius post, Theo! Can you tell more about your impressions about this"This has I use the ear verb for my "i want to wetten this up to make it sit but not be obvious" earth reverb." Is the ear verb versatile or is it more of a one trick pony? I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but when you say that about the earth reverb are you basically saying it's good for ambience and space but sounds more natural than others?

I have breverb and I like it but I'm not blown away by it. I also have Samplitude 11 Pro but overlooked the potential to variaverb. Which of these two do you personally prefer?

Lastly, have you trued the U-He Uhbik? It looks like an awesome package but I wish it was sold in individual components as well. I was wondering if you tried the reverb against some of the others, especially since you mentioned how much you like variaverb that was programmed by Sascha.
Hi,

ear verb is what i use when i want something to sit in the mix without people saying "ohh nice reverb on that, how did he do that? i wonder what he used? "

Not that it's NOT nice, it's exceptionally nice, but it *blends* really easily without having to put a ton of effort. With the eventual updates he added large modes and more ability to make those big wishy washy sounds of other verbs due to user request, but i rarely use it for this. It sounds SO different to a lexicon, and yet lexicon also has an uncanny ability to blend well in a mix (why they are so popular really).

Why don't you give the demo a go? It's great to have a lexicon type sound and something like this as an alternative. I can promise you there's few finer developers.. he's a humble and courteous guy, and deserves every bit of business he gets, as the products are all good. The only one i DON'T like and i will flat out say it is the EQ.. the high is harsh and the low and high cuts are not to my liking. But hey, i like everything else (and actually have them al!)

His new delay is probably the most fun easy to use delay i have at present, i finally spent some time with it from a big gap since beta testing it a year back, and the joy instantly came back.

Philipe's stuff excels in usability including the verb. it's all laid out neatly, (and with good looks i might add) and is easy to get to grips with. Try the gate out as well, and the limiter (not for loudness but rather for the opposite.. smoothening and levelling) , they are really tasty and priced very well.

Uhbik yes, i wrote a nice topic about the reverb some months back. It's the real earthy type as well, and can be used for similar purposes to earverb. The flanger is amazing but you really need to know what you are doing with it. I made a bank for it 2 years back and i am embarrassed when i think about how bad they were compared to the demo i am playing with now again although i don't know if the demo can load my presets, i haven't tried.

Now i I am not wowed buy the remainder at all and it's why i have sold this bundle twice (well one time i DID move to reason so it was legit, the first i was just not using it). I think the phaser is obnoxious and harsh, and that's the one i *dislike*.
The rest are just "nothing" to me. The delay is standard multitap fare (pales to ricochet IMO), the EQ is an everyday easy to use EQ, The runciter.. well.. i have the drop and volcano 2, so have no use for it, I prefer logic's own tremolo 10x over, i have hematohm and logic's frequency shifter already (but may use uhbik si f i didn't), and never liked the G. I've obviously tried them alot and demoed them for longer than i have owned them, and i just really don't think i'd use them even if not using logic. So please no one take offence to this but an opinion was asked.

That said I am frustrated cause i have been begging Urs for years to sell individuals and now he does that for reason so would love to see that for AU/VST. But it hasn't happened, and i would only ever buy it again if i got it cheap in the MP as i have to factor in i wouldn't use 70% of it. I told URS this in an email and apologised in advance that i would buy it second hand but told him i'd get it new if he split it up. Of course when the time comes to buy diva and ace i'll buy it direct, no question :)

URS flanger has the longest sync time of any plugin flanger available, which is a huge request of mine of all others out there, as well as a nitpick that others usually only go to 2 or 4 bars, but i just don't want to pay $150 for a flanger :shrug:

Now to Breverb, dare i suggest you give ma few sounds and let me provide you a few presets? I think it may be user error. By default some algorithms have terrible EQ cuts and really sound thin and cold. As i said breverb needs tweaking but it's actually capable of almost any sound. Huge, small, lex, natural, special fx, it's all there.

Now to Magix and samplitude..

AC22 says

"I also have Samplitude 11 Pro but overlooked the potential to variaverb. "

WOW! I am still working on my magix post as i am still demoing them and adjusting my post as i go ( a planned topic here about all their available effects), but one thing i HAVE decided.
"Whoever uses samplitude pro has the finest set of plugins of any daw in existence. You will barely need to look outside the program, except for some specialty stuff".

I seriously feel that. And the fx magix sell individually are not even half of what is in samplitude, but i can't demo it till the mac version comes out. (which it is soonish). Varieverb is BRILLIANT! It is so natural sounding. :)

AstralExistence wrote: toraverb i dont like, but, i need to try syntorus. tal chorus lx is pretty awesome though.
Have to say, while I'm not overly enthusiastic about D16's verb or distortion units for that matter (against popular opinion I know).

I do really like Syntorus and Lush they're great imo.

TheoM wrote:cause i am waiting for the delay to get it's 64 bits version, freeby or not, it's valhalla :grin:
+1!

Awesome Theo! Yeah, I'm gonna give the Breverb stuff another whirl and try it for myself but thanks for the offer.

I really am a huge Magix fan myself. A lot of the stock tools are very useful and you will find the Ammunition Limiter (came with Samplitude 11 Pro) to be top shelf but does not come with Samplitude Pro X is amazing and the best limiter included with a DAW. I'm quite sure you have heard of that since you seem to know everything under the sun about mastering tools but I can vouch for that one, another one of Sascha's amazing creations.

My favorite thing about Samplitude though is the design. It's probably a personal thing but I love the layout on 11 Pro. Some of the guys on the Magix board though say that they much prefer the 11 Pro layout to the Pro X layout as a few of the toolbars were scrapped from the new version and new ones that others find less useful were added in their place. One of the complaints was that it looked too cluttered and less intuitive versus V11. But Pro X is now 64 but so that is a huge win for many.

Before getting Pro 11, I had Samplitude 11 Producer, a "lite version". It had a lot of the same functionality minus the Analogue Modeling Suite but did come with Vandal. From having registered 11 Producer in the past, they sent me this offer last week.

"We have a special offer for this year's music trade fair, exclusively available to Samplitude Music Studio users - perfect for bands or musicians who strive for the best!

Upgrade to the pro league by April 19, 2013 and get the Analogue Modelling Suite Plus for free! (regularly $199).

Save more than $390 and take advantage of the wide range of professional tools, features and instruments!

Only $299 (regularly $698)"

So sometimes Magix does have some enticing deals in case you ever want to consider jumping over. I can keep an eye out for any specials and let you know . But it looks like your a Reason guy (curious to know what you ReWire with) so maybe you are happy where you are at.

Great to get some perspective to about the URS/Uhe stuff. I thought I was the only one who thought it odd that there were no offerings for single plugs. Thats obviously a developer decision but I'm sure there are others that would love the option to purchase individual plugs. Maybe I would purchase a separate verb plug if it was available instead of the whole package. I don't blame you for wanting to resell if you only find steady use out of one of the plugs. Its just so wasteful. Glad too to get more insight about the UHE stuff. Turning out to be a nice thread indeed.

Cheers,
AC

AC22 I don't use reason at all anymore I use logic on a Mac. I always did do that except I had a small break with reason. Was a mistake, and just a memory now.

The reason I am investigating windows hosts is for the first time in 5 years I'm questioning the Mac platform as are many really. It's about the direction of the OS and the hardware also. They seem to be disinterested in pro users.

This is another reason why I didn't buy any of the magic plugins. If for some reason I go into samp pro (whatever the flagship is) ill have them all anyway.

Plus they clearly state they do not allow resale of their individually available fx bundles, although they do allow resale of samplitude.

Return to “Effects”