Finally found a replacement for Kjaerhus Gate (EAReckon)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kjaerhus Golden Audio Gate was one of the last bridged 32bit Plugins on my DAW as I found no other gate that gates (mainly vocals and guitars) without artefacts. I tried Cubase/Nuendos own gate, Toneboosters one, gates from Meldas dynamic modules and one or two others but nothing could replace it. I couldnt get all these gates to make a clean gating without cuttting attacks or make general crackle.
Through the fantastic EARrebound I first heard of EAReckon and tried their SD-GATE 87, and I have to say this is even better than the Kjaerhus one. Even the free version does an incredible gating.

If you are in search of a really great gate you should test the EAReckon gate out. You won't be disapointed.

Cheers
Alex

When that came out a year or two ago, I suggested to the dev (in some thread here) that he might want to include a range knob that lets one restrict the amoount of gating that is happening, or at least let the the un-gated dry signal be dialed in along with the gated signal, like so many other gate plugins offer (DNR MixControl, NF Liquid, Pro-G etc.)

Not happened yet, not interested yet.

When gating acoustic drums, leaving some of the original un-gated signal in is essential, so that it won't sound fake and static in the end and to keep some of the original room vibe alive.

Reaper's ReaGate works just as well. Plus it has that wet/dry balance. And it has oversampling. And it's more flexible. And I never heard any crackle. And it's free.
:shrug:
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Of course it happened.
The gate HAS a range knob wich is a very good thing.

please check before making false statements.
(edit: ok, maybe he should make new screenshots for the website)

chokehold wrote:When that came out a year or two ago, I suggested to the dev (in some thread here) that he might want to include a range knob that lets one restrict the amoount of gating that is happening, or at least let the the un-gated dry signal be dialed in along with the gated signal, like so many other gate plugins offer (DNR MixControl, NF Liquid, Pro-G etc.)

Not happened yet, not interested yet.

When gating acoustic drums, leaving some of the original un-gated signal in is essential, so that it won't sound fake and static in the end and to keep some of the original room vibe alive.

Reaper's ReaGate works just as well. Plus it has that wet/dry balance. And it has oversampling. And it's more flexible. And I never heard any crackle. And it's free.
Except it actually DOES have a range knob.

Brent
My host is better than your host

ReaGate is free to who? not au mac users. The earreckon analog suite is excellent and Philipe is very open to suggestions.. yours was a good one, so i guess in the busy insanity that is life sometimes, he forgot all about it.

for drums the best gate is the duende one in the drum processor.. there really is nothing better.. pro -g doesn't sound as good. Pro G is very expensive btw.

The OP here did state there is a free version of the ear reackon one.. and just as smooth. that's what he is getting at i think.. not just features, but the sound itself is very smooth. I agree. I don't think it's my first choice on beats though but it works very well for me on instruments and is part of my daily routine.

I find pro-g to be quite harsh after initially thinking it was the best.. i think the features bedazzled me, and i still use it for my midi gating which is absolutely essential as it's the only 64 bit one i have that can do that!

If i am going to pick my favourite gate plugin of all time, TB 100% H, it's the sonalksis.. for feature and sound balance.. it has a bugaboo with latency in Logic, but after that's fixed, that's the one for me.. i doubt i'll use anything else on any source.

chokehold wrote:Reaper's ReaGate works just as well. Plus it has that wet/dry balance. And it has oversampling. And it's more flexible. And I never heard any crackle. And it's free.
can you please lead me to 64bit Reaplugs ?
So far I only find a 64Bit of reaper but not of the free plugin suite.

Thanks in advance
Alex

Duh i just opened it and saw there is a range knob on the right and i have never used it :oops: :lol:

well my official request is MIDI control for on / off gating, then i can ditch pro - g and get me some money!

TheoM wrote: for drums the best gate is the duende one in the drum processor.. there really is nothing better.. pro -g doesn't sound as good. Pro G is very expensive btw.
On drums I have not tried it so far.

What I find impressive is the overall package (though the most important is the sound of couse): Pro G is too expensive for me, Sonalsis is no option because of the combination c/r and trust to/size of the developer, and from reagate I found no 64 bit so far.

But even if I am curious for the Reagate, I don't think I switch from the EARecken to another gate now that i have used it in a few projects...

sonalksis is not so small and i wish some people would not worry. they are doing other projects and are in the best financial position they have ever been. .right NOW.. with quite a few staff.. i reported this on another topic. their gate is outstanding and it's a shame you won't demo it to see.

That said eareckon is fab also as your topic mentions..sure..don't switch, if you're happy , just stick with it. But if you haven't tried it on drums yet then make your total opinion after that.

I won't use the duende one because of the codemeter slowing my mac down. But every day i am closer and closer to just buying that drumstrip , because the low end enhancement and the gate and comp are so exceptional. I can't get the same results with anything else, and believe me i have tried!!

Anyway, on topic, the ear reckon stuff is *all* great, and i use every single product they make except the eq. everything else finds a way in my projects!

Proper pimping etiquette requires that , for the up most convenience of the pimpee, a linky should be alongside the unsolicited gushing recommendation ....

http://www.eareckon.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=72

Those GUI's look super cool ; nothing like the vintage vibe.

Oh, and thanks ever so much for making the word " Kjaerhus " reel it's ugly head again :x
Financial solvency and KVR Mix as well as oil and water.

rasmusklump wrote:Of course it happened.
The gate HAS a range knob wich is a very good thing.
please check before making false statements.
+
koolkeys wrote:Except it actually DOES have a range knob.
+
TheoM wrote:i just opened it and saw there is a range knob on the right
I did check the website. Show me the Range knob.
chokehold wrote:Reaper's ReaGate works just as well. Plus it has that wet/dry balance. And it has oversampling. And it's more flexible. And I never heard any crackle. And it's free.
vs.
TheoM wrote:ReaGate is free to who? not au mac users.
+
rasmusklump wrote:can you please lead me to 64bit Reaplugs ?
So far I only find a 64Bit of reaper but not of the free plugin suite.
Did I mention the standalone bundle anywhere? Don't think so.
I mentioned Reaper's ReaGate, and I said it's free.
1+1 = the Gate that comes with Reaper is free, as are the plugins that come with Cubase or Sonar.

I have Reaper, run it in x64 mode on OSX and use the un-bridged x64 version of ReaGate inside Reaper x64 on OSX on an everyday basis.

So ReaGate is:
- x64 native
- on OSX
- free

What part of that aren't you happy with?
Last edited by chokehold on Sat May 18, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

ahh i see! those pics are old but that's philipe's fault not chokehold's! But hey do indeed look tasty.. there is an issue on mac with range control even with shift held down, there is big jumps from the knob closed to first open position, in all their plugs, but i don't know if i affects win, and i was going to talk to Philipe about it tomorrow anyway as i have been really noticing it lately. However one can type any value in as the actual available settings are very price. The gate range for example seems to jump from 40 db range to zero... but in between there is up to 80.he needs to fix this so it's accessible by turning rather than typing. Just an example.

night all. I'm wrecked. see yaz tomorrosh! well probably in a few hours knowing me :hihi:

chokehold wrote::idiot:
ok, that shows the only intention in your post.

Financial solvency and KVR Mix as well as oil and water.

Now I'm on my iPhone in bed but chokehold if someone doesn't beat me to it ill post a pic first thing when I wake up. Mate honestly as I said above the plugins layout is now different to that pic.
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Sat May 18, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”