u-he Satin or Slate VTM?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Satin Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

AC222 wrote:…My favorite single tape program is Michael Angel's Ampex program (now ported over into native vst and au)…
This sounds really interesting. Would you mind posting a link where the native version might be found, please?

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... PX-pc.html

That's the Windows version. You'll be able to find an au version as well if you do mac. As good as the UAD is, I prefer this with Satin in front (to emulate the tape compression effect) over the UAD Ampex plug. Heavy cpu and can add latency but sound is out of this world. If you have tried good libraries for Nebula, you know there's a certain depth from these libraries that you just can't get in vst plugins. They just sound bigger, add harmonics without digital artifacts, and seem to wrap their sound around the signal as opposed to piling some effect on top. Just sounds way more 3d.

The Ampex collection includes the old Ampex (351) that Eddie Kramer (Hendrix, Zeppelin) used as well as some more modern-sounding machines and other popular models (102 - was a favourite of CLA, 440, etc). By the way, you can get the 440 as a sample for free. But I highly recommend the whole suite.

Thanks a lot for the heads up!

/Joachim

Spitfire31 wrote:Thanks a lot for the heads up!

/Joachim
!häftigt!

AC222 wrote:

/Joachim
!häftigt!
Javisst!

I tried the demo in Mac OS 10.8.5 and 10.9.4. Unfortunately, in Mavericks, the controls are more or less frozen, except as VST in DSP Quattro. In Mountain Lion, though, the VST and AU versions worked as expected in Live 9 and Tracktion 5, and the AU also in DP 7. However, the AU didn't show up at all in Logic X.

I'll investigate further and probably buy the suite.

/Joachim

Can't go wrong with anything from Slate. Same can be said with u-he. To be honest Satin is so versatile it's hard to go wrong with it. It can be an incredible sound design tool, flanger, and delay too. You get a lot more bang for your buck.

Spitfire31 wrote:
AC222 wrote:

/Joachim
!häftigt!
Javisst!

I tried the demo in Mac OS 10.8.5 and 10.9.4. Unfortunately, in Mavericks, the controls are more or less frozen, except as VST in DSP Quattro. In Mountain Lion, though, the VST and AU versions worked as expected in Live 9 and Tracktion 5, and the AU also in DP 7. However, the AU didn't show up at all in Logic X.

I'll investigate further and probably buy the suite.

/Joachim
I spoke a bit too soon regarding DP7 and 10.8.5. While the demo plays just fine, the moment I tried to bounce the project to disk, MAS (MOTU Audio System) crashed in flames. When I removed Acqua and the free Apex 440, everything went back to normal.

It seems that the Mac implementation, at least the AU conversion, is way too brittle for serious work. I guess you Windows guys are lucky. ;-)

/Joachim

is it possible to create the 2 inch and half inch machine (like in vtm) with satin?

Why not check the presets and see how they were done and check for yourself? :)
[Some aspects were modelled based on typical 1" machine mechanics, but mainly parts of the transport (i.e. capstan and pinch roller). The rest is completely variable.]
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

thanks sascha, i don`t have satin yet. just want to know because i am considering buying it. i was curious as i read that vtm is based on two different machines and that with satin your`re able to "build" your own. but i have not really the knowledge about tape machines and if it`s possible to create 2" or 1/2 " with the plugin when that is not based of such a machine.
will check that with the demo though. :tu:

I had been using VTM religously and recently switched over to Satin, and will be staying there. Satin can sound far more colored than VTM, and does a nicer job softening up the highs. In addition, the lack of latency and just sheer range of sounds make it my top choice. It's like VTM is a very accurate model of two very high end tape machines, and Satin is more of a tape machine magic toolbox.

VTM Pros:
1. Low CPU
2. Fairly transparent with cumulative effective

VTM Cons:
1. Not very tweakable
2. High latency
3. Does the transparent tape thing very well, but doesn't offer a lot of color

Satin Pros:
1. No latency
2. Sounds great, lots to tweak
3. Even the noise/hiss sounds "right" to me
4. Can also be a delay or flanger (though I wish there was an LFO would automatically reset)
5. Capable of a wide range of sounds
6. Lots of presets

Satin Cons:
1. High CPU use
2. Might be too much to tweak for some

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Satin can sound far more colored than VTM, and does a nicer job softening up the highs. In addition, the lack of latency and just sheer range of sounds make it my top choice.
But where is the colorless option (compression characteristics only)?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

There is no tape compression without colour. Unless you define compression differently, but then it's not what tape does.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Or compression with a flat frequency-response curve minus 3rd harmonic distortion.
http://www.endino.com/graphs/
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Please define compression. Amplitude dynamics compression?
You can't have that on analog tape in a way a dynamics compressor does.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board

Return to “Effects”