Blue Cat's PatchWork - Virtual Plug-Ins Patch bay - Now with MIDI Routing + AU Hosting

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PatchWork

I am not sure if the VST plug-ins included in Nuendo can actually be used outside of Nuendo. It is a common issue with plug-ins that are bundled with A DAW. You may want to ask steinberg if it is possible, though. By the way, are these plug-ins VST2?

they are both VST2 and VST3

I know on Windows this is a non issue because they are in a file directory. Just on a mac they decided to make it difficult

Just checked it out: there is a simple way to load them in PatchWork (and any other DAW btw...), using a simple alias:
- right click on the Nuendo application and select "Show Package Content"
- find the "VSTPlugins" folder (it is in the " Contents" folder)
- right click on it and choose "Make Alias"
- Copy this alias to the /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST directory.
- you can rename it to "Nuendo VST" to make it clearer

Here you go! you can now open the Nuendo VST2 plug-ins in Blue Cat's PatchWork: they can be found in the standard VST directory. :-)

Hi there,
I demo`d this interesting tool as it appears to be pretty useful.

I am not sure if I have overlooked settings in general options,
so I apolo if already covered ...

What I was missing:

- to be able to rename instanced vst`s, i.e. what their topic function is

- to change the order via drag and drop as I tend to quickly compare different settings, otherwise it gets an orgy of copy and paste.
This is one of the strength I see on my copy of Izoptope`s Alloy 2,
the easy drag and drop of the modules to re-order them.

Is this something BCA has on focus ?
Thank you.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Awesome. Going to try that out in a bit.
Are there plans to support vst3 anytime soon?

Creating the Alias worked like a charm! Thanks

Glad to know that it worked for you too mrtomcat. Thanks for the heads up!

About other requests:
- VST3 is indeed not supported yet. It is in our plans to add it some day, though.
- same for drag and drop: it is currently under investigation. Copy/Paste is the only way right now. if you need to perform quick comparisons, you may actually want to store your configurations as presets or use undo/redo to switch between them.
- renaming instances is also an option we are looking at, to make patches easier to read, especially when default plug-ins names are not obvious!

Blue Cat Audio wrote: - same for drag and drop: it is currently under investigation. Copy/Paste is the only way right now. if you need to perform quick comparisons, you may actually want to store your configurations as presets or use undo/redo to switch between them.
- renaming instances is also an option we are looking at, to make patches easier to read, especially when default plug-ins names are not obvious!
Glad to hear, thank you, I think I`m in at that point
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

You may want to wait for these things to be released, though. Who knows if you will like them when we get there...!

Dear KVR Members,

We have just released Blue Cat's PatchWork 1.2 and MB-7 Mixer 2.2, a new version of our audio plug-ins that can host third party VST plug-ins. This new release bring several improvements that we have talked about in this thread (and more):

With Blue Cat's PatchWork 1.2, we have added flexible MIDI routing capabilities to our "universal plug-ins patchbay": it is now possible to connect hosted plug-ins together or with the host application. For both plug-ins, this new version also brings the ability to rename plug-ins instances, as well as several performance and compatibility improvements (full list below).

The update is free for existing customers and is available for download from the same page as the initial purchase (link received by email).

Demo versions are also available for download on www.bluecataudio.com, in VST, RTAS, AAX, Audio Unit and DirectX formats, for both Mac and PC (32 and 64-bit).

New in PatchWork 1.2:
- MIDI Routing: custom MIDI routes can be created to connect plug-ins together and with the host application, to send and receive MIDI messages.
- Mono to stereo processing: the plug-in can now be used as a mono to stereo plug-in and process mono tracks with stereo effects in hosts that support it.
- The "Parameters Map" menu item is now checked when a parameter is mapped.

New for both plug-ins:
- Plug-in instance Renaming: it is now possible to give a name to each instance of a plug-in.
- Improved performance of undo tracking when loading presets for plug-ins with many parameters.
- Improved performance when changing the size of the plug-in user interface.
- Fixed keyboard stealing issue in many host applications when sub plug-ins editors are opened (except 32-bit applications on Mac).
- Fixed compatibility issue with Pro Tools 9 on Mac (random crashes).
- Fixing crashes with some plug-ins requesting information while being opened.

patchworks vs other similar products anyone know which is best. I would think Forte and cantabile with recording capability might have more bells and whistles but if your opening patchwork in a daw then you can record your self. What about using an instance for fx to act as a way to switch between amp sims on one track and another instance for keys on another. I know this is midi controllable but can I do this with amp sims live and have zero switching problems and can I integrate a midi foot switch to switch presets or is it so slow it won't be usable live?

I am delighted with this update :)
The internal MIDI Routing is terrific, and with the recently-added automation, MIDI Learn etc., this could easily have already merited being called PatchWork 2.0 ;).

I read that you are hoping to add VST3 support at some stage?.. that would be wonderful.. do you mean, running as a VST3 plugin, or hosting VST3 plugins (or both ;) ).
For us Mac users, any possibility of hosting AU plugins (as your competitors do ;) )?
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

If you could drag and drop in Patchwork to reorder plugins this would be perfect for me. I might end up getting it anyway. Between console plugs, tape sims, vu meters etc., Cubase is killing me with the 6 pre fader inserts. I don't like all the cable gobbledygook with Mux and Metaplugin.

for live hosting and or similar usage to this one could just use reaper rewired into your host.http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1348476

yessongs wrote:for live hosting and or similar usage to this one could just use reaper rewired into your host.http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1348476
Or any host for that matter and you can enjoy extra latency and lack of easy automation or total recall in your master host...numpty
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”