HoRNet SW34EQ analog modeled equalizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HoRNet SW34EQ

Have to say thought that the EQ is absolutely brilliant!!! It's ridiculously good for doing quick mixes and fixes. I completely transformed a difficult and "congested" mix with the help of the Hornet EQ demo.. got a bit tricky once I was past 4 instances as everything would be cutting out at different times. :D

I think I'll have to make a purchase.. like.. right away!

Awesome work man! :tu:

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Compyfox wrote:The SW34 didn't have any bus compressor and the likes.

It's an Inline Console which only features the essential stuff: Input Gain, EQ, Pan, SENDs and Returns, Volume, etc.

Even though API develpers were involved (according to the internet), this board isn't like a modern NEVE or SSL, where Gates and Compressors are part of the channel strip nowadays. Everything was handled via inserts.
What desk is this EQ from?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:What desk is this EQ from?
As mentioned on page 1 already, it's based upon the Otari Sound workshop series 34b (neatly abbreviated to SW34EQ by Hornet Audio)

bmanic wrote:Interesting plugin, however, it's a shame that the relatively high noise floor can not be deactivated while keeping the saturation. Is this something that could be perhaps included in the future?
I haven't looked at it more closer yet, but VSTPlugin Analyser shows me a Noise Floor of about -140dBFS, with a THD of -71dB and THD+N of -56dB. Didn't load it into Cubase yet what readout I get there in tems of noise floor.

The thing I've read about the console so far however, is that it was a bit critisized for being noisy. But it wasn't that big of a deal.

EBU R-128 is still not a suitable standard for Music, bmanic. I still advise you to take a look at the K-System v2 (see my KVRmarks).

One problem I have with this plugin however, is the are where I can click and drag. I just catched myself clicking on the outer ring and dragging it. But instead of the frequency changing, the gain changed.

If I get this EQ, I'll probably use a hardware controller anyway, but for plain mouse users, it is a bit tricky.

Would still love to see the mic pre's being modeled and maybe available as separate plugin as well. I really don't know if tools like Waves NLS or Slate VCC are suitable in front of this. It's an "Otari/Sound Workstation" console after all, not an API 500.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I emailed with Saverio a bit, and he said he might adjust the freq/gain knobs.

As for the noise floor, I was able to generate -56 dbs of pure hiss on an empty track with certain settings. Again, Saverio said he'd take a look at things, and to expect an update soon.

I REALLY love this plug so far. Can wait til for an update or two :)

itneveris wrote:I emailed with Saverio a bit, and he said he might adjust the freq/gain knobs.

As for the noise floor, I was able to generate -56 dbs of pure hiss on an empty track with certain settings. Again, Saverio said he'd take a look at things, and to expect an update soon.

I REALLY love this plug so far. Can wait til for an update or two :)
Until then you could use ReaFir in subtract mode to remove the hiss. :)

Like it; bought it. Your stuff is making a lot of appearances in my work lately...

His stuff has been stealing the show on my mixes lately!

I LOVE MultiComp, but funnily enough, have barely even used the VCA compressor. I love it's FET and OPTO emulations, but I really like Sknote's 4k compressor, so usually use it for my buss compressor, and stick to using the Multi for FET and Opto stuff. I LOVE these models

Sknote has FET and Opto modeled compressors too in the BUS plugin, but I like the limitations of the MultiComp, how the FET has limited atk and rls times, and the opto is one fuckin knob! I love it.

Dont listen to those bozo's on GearSlutz, keep this EQ as is, aside from tweaking the hiss volume. I like the 5 stage meter, and all that other goodness.

itneveris wrote: the opto is one fuckin knob! I love it.
OPTO is one of my favorite model too :) the secret is in the double stage release time, it' a little tricky to explain but after half of the release time has passed the time constant more than doubles avoiding pumping, this is usually what happens with photo sensible elements in real hardware
itneveris wrote:
Dont listen to those bozo's on GearSlutz, keep this EQ as is, aside from tweaking the hiss volume. I like the 5 stage meter, and all that other goodness.
as i wrote on that forum, i think part of an analog emulation is keeping the same limitations that the original device has so that you have almost the same user experience.

Saverio

Well, I just loaded the EQ into Cubase, to see wht the meter registers as "noise floor".

One channel with SW34EQ has a noise floor of about -88,9dBFS
32 channels with SW34EQ (analog mode active) has a noise floor of about -60,4dBFS
50 channels with SW34EQ (as the original console would be) has a noise floor of about -57,6dBFS

This somewhat confirms the comments about the console being a bit noisy.

The ASIO load in Cubase is about:
1 instace: 3-5% (Guard on)
32 instances: 20-21% (Guard on)
50 instances: 28-30% (Guard on)

Sounds okay to me. 60ies and 70ies consoles are higher, though I do understand the request to turn that down if desired.

Saverio:
Do you have a manual lying around for the SW34? If so, and the noise floor is written down - what does it say?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I need to clear a point here, the current version has a wrong amount of noise, when we first measured the console we made an error, the noise floor should be about 10dBs lower. I'm going to fix it, together with an improve handling for the knobs, in an update that should be out next week.

Saverio

I need to clear a point here, the current version has a wrong amount of noise, when we first measured the console we made an error, the noise floor should be about 10dBs lower. I'm going to fix it, together with an improve handling for the knobs, in an update that should be out next week.

Saverio

just demoed it and i like it very much :)cheap looking but great sounding,gentle input saturation,low CPU...-this plugin is an opposite of big name devs Eq's...great work

EcHo2K wrote:I need to clear a point here, the current version has a wrong amount of noise, when we first measured the console we made an error, the noise floor should be about 10dBs lower.
Then 50 channels could clock in at about -70dBFS as noise floor. That sounds definitely realistic - even for an 80ies console.

EcHo2K wrote:I'm going to fix it, together with an improve handling for the knobs, in an update that should be out next week.
Definitely looking forward to that. Thanks for this plugin and the ability to let us test beforehand.

testing this eq now against waves e-channel eq on 2bus and this one sounds better = more focused and more effective = even hard processed signal stays very natural and processing is "invisible"and very musical

I noticed that immediately too, how natural this thing sounded compared to some other EQ's I have. I finally understand what a 'musical' EQ is

Return to “Effects”