Cableguys FilterShaper 3 Public Beta! Features and pre-sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FilterShaper

Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Yes! Currently there's two available: "Soft" and "Hard", which, combined with the S-K filters can add some lovely colours.
Great...do you plan on adding more types in near future?

faun2500 wrote:Just tried this. My hope was that the oscilloscope could be resized (bigger!) so I could use it on my master out. I currently use Volumeshaper on the master as an oscilloscope and am very happy with it but please please please please please please can you make the gui resizable??? Please! :)

I agree that there is a lot of wasted space on this new plugin and I prefer the colours of volumeshaper (black grey white green).
Can you comment on this please?
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

faun2500 wrote:
faun2500 wrote:Just tried this. My hope was that the oscilloscope could be resized (bigger!) so I could use it on my master out. I currently use Volumeshaper on the master as an oscilloscope and am very happy with it but please please please please please please can you make the gui resizable??? Please! :)

I agree that there is a lot of wasted space on this new plugin and I prefer the colours of volumeshaper (black grey white green).
The waveform and oscilloscope can be all big! Click the magnifying glass on the top right of the waveform. We're considering to make it full-screen even, lets see..

Colours - well lets see how many people have this input too!

Ok I need to do some coding now - will comment on all input later today - until then, have fun with FilterShaper 3, and if you want, share some presets when you come up with nice ones!

Seems like a decent update. FilterShaper2 is used in every project I do. ;)

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:Colours - well lets see how many people have this input too!
I like the old Ableton-style interface. Black/dark grey and red aren't great from a contrast PoV, particularly as the fashion in DAWs is to go dark with low contrast, but I don't think it would alter my decision to upgrade.

Bought!

But I would still *really* like to see those 10 waveform slots for the waveform editors with MIDI learn.

Pretty please! :cry:

Gamma-UT wrote:
Jakob / Cableguys wrote:Colours - well lets see how many people have this input too!
I like the old Ableton-style interface. Black/dark grey and red aren't great from a contrast PoV, particularly as the fashion in DAWs is to go dark with low contrast, but I don't think it would alter my decision to upgrade.
+1 for the v2 colours. They worked just nice. All I was missing in v2 was the oscilloscope behind the modulation shapes like in Volumeshaper. I also miss the matrix for setting up the modulation - It's a lot more transparent to work with IMO.

But I love those big filter cutoff knobs! So se*y :)
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
faun2500 wrote:

The waveform and oscilloscope can be all big! Click the magnifying glass on the top right of the waveform. We're considering to make it full-screen even, lets see..

Colours - well lets see how many people have this input too!

Ok I need to do some coding now - will comment on all input later today - until then, have fun with FilterShaper 3, and if you want, share some presets when you come up with nice ones!
Thanks for commenting but maybe my question wasn't clear.

Will you make the GUI of volume shaper resizable like Valhalla plugins?
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

metal wrote:I also miss the matrix for setting up the modulation - It's a lot more transparent to work with IMO.
Actually, that one-stop shop to set all modulation values was cool. It also allowed creating controls to different parameters from the same LFO and in different intensities. But you can't really have it both ways: now that we have LFOs and EFs modulating LFOs, it's no longer possible to easily show routings on a 2-D graph. Maybe it's time to start considering 3D representations of modulation routings? ;)

Nice update!
Haven't been using VS2 too much, I'm afraid, but this makes me feel like I've been missing out :D

Few things

- I think the drive parameter isn't ramped. It clicks awfully when turned. Modulation would be handy too.

- In parallel mode, setting filters volume to Off sometimes causes a buzzing noise - VST buffer size dependent, seems like a click or an impulse on every process() call - and disables Filter 1 Pan. Possible bug and/or FL Studio related issue?

- Master limiter / clipper would be handy - driving the filters can make this thing VERY loud.

- Please, please add foldback or sine shaper for filters :D

- The modulation options are very deep and I feel are not represented clearly on the GUI. Some kind of overview screen, maybe on a new tab, would be cool and might help with wrapping one's head around a preset.

Other than that, solid work, guys. Will keep messing with it and maybe upload a few presets in the process.

Ok all, back from coding. I'll try to answer all questions now..

Breeze wrote:I love these shaper-thingies! Welcome to the new FilterShaper3! My comments:

- Nice new options in the filters; I agree that the Drive and "Resonance Distortion" could be one knob, as Drive is typically a characteristic of the entire filter structure. I'm sure you've considered adding more distortion color choices in the future...

- The modulation routing is significantly enhanced. And you have LFO's And EF's for the intensity of the LFO's. Wow! There's a lot of creative potential here!
Glad you like it! Yes, modulating the LFO speed is especially insane..

The tho buttons for filter drive and resonance distortion are very similar, but still give bit of different sound.. but that's the tough choice if we should keep it simpler or leave the additional option.
Breeze wrote:- The Envelope Follower is a great idea but IMO needs a few things to be really functional: there should be a Hold control; all times should be in milliseconds; there should be an option to filter the input (LP, HP and BP) along with a Frequency control. These would make the EF far more useful. Alternatively, you could minimize the GUI controls but optimize the background processing to render musically useful results. Currently it can make the filters sound quite bad, but I realize you're working on it.
Yes, there's quite some unfinished changes that we need to release for the envelope follower. First of all, the current modell is "flickering" too much.

About your idea with HP filtering the input signal - is there any envelope follower out there that does this? I'd be curious to learn about that!
Breeze wrote:- Have you considered using the Envelope Follower to trigger one-shot envelopes? That could be very useful!
Yes, we'd like to add audio triggering with a later update. Lets see..
Breeze wrote: - I think I keep mentioning this every time you come out with a new version of the Shapers: the wavelength of the envelopes would be so much more flexible, and easier to setup on the GUI, if the user could just set the numerator and denominator directly:

Numerators: 1 to 128
Denomintors: 128, 64, 64T 32, 32T, 16, 16T, 8, 8T, 4, 4T, 2, 2T, 1 Bar

All you would need to do is calculate the result in PPQ, or whatever internal timing you use. This would allow for every conceivable timing between 1/128 and 32 Bars (as you have, or technically 128 bars(!)) and for every possible musical use. (Ok: it might make sense to limit the numerator based on the denominator choice... ;) )
Well I guess this would be nice, but would add another menu. Have you tried MIDI triggering? You can trigger the LFOs via MIDI notes, so you could trigger the LFO via a MIDI note at any count. Not sure if this is convenient, but you could give it a try.
Breeze wrote: - The GUI is too dark for me (especially compared to FS2!); it looks even darker than Volumeshaper 3 (VS3), probably because there are larger sections of darker grey. I would prefer more contrast, especially with the single-pixel lettering you're using. On a big screen with other "bright" plugins around it, it gets hard to see.

- I also preferred the green envelope color of VS3. Maybe you can offer different "skin" choices and/or envelope and mod.-degree line colors. Red's a little too military for my tastes.
We'll increase contrasts with an update soon, but I guess we'll stay with red as main colour.. a bit brighter though.
Breeze wrote: - Thanks for implementing the magnified Envelope edit view. I definitely prefer to work on the larger view.

- The parameter status shown within the knobs is a brilliant idea, but again, the contrast makes it hard to see clearly; the world needs to see this!
I think so too! Right now the transparency of the "glass" which is painted on top of the parameter oscilloscope it is a bit too low, but we'll change that.
Breeze wrote: - No bugs yet, but if I open an new patch, some controls are kept dark, like when there's no filter assigned, but I can't figure out how to make them appear normally.
Well, it's as you guess: Some patches don't have filters assigned, they might only modulate volume or pan. The menus for the filters will get more visible soon!
Breeze wrote:That's it for now... nice work!

AH, finally, here it is… Do you need any presets if yes, when is the deadline and with which version can we do some?

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Breeze wrote:Another way to handle the envelope editor could be to have the full-sized edit screen tacked to the bottom of the GUI. It would always show the envelope currently being edited. This would make it faster to access the full editor and avoid having to switch back and forth between the full editor and the mini-editor. I suspect this would improve the workflow significantly.
But this would mean increasing the plugin height quite a lot if I understand it correctly?

Xenox.AFL wrote:AH, finally, here it is… Do you need any presets if yes, when is the deadline and with which version can we do some?

Frank
Hey Frank! Of course, presets are always very welcome! The preset library is an ongoing project, it's an online shared preset library, so there's no real deadline - you can sync at any time and upload your creations and get presets by others.

We'll include a snapshot of the preset library with the release, though. We hope to release very soon, it'll be a matter of days (if no big issues come up with the beta and if we get the video done..)

Return to “Effects”