Reverb plugin similar to Eventide Blackhole?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Delfinoverde wrote:It's a riddle to me why so many praise Valhalla-stuff…… to me their products are rather mediocre. Well, sound quality isn't the worst but their GUI design is just horrible! Say what you want but the eyes work also when working with the ears.

Funny how different we all are. I think the Valhalla GUI are examples of nice and cleanly functional. I didn't get along with them for different reasons but still think they are very pleasant to look at (and listen to).

That shimmer demo above is absolutely incredible...

Eos was also coded by Valhalla for audio damage and that's the one I personally use for the huge spaces as it sounds like a proper reverb but just massive if one wants.

The toraverb I mentioned has a very unique but artificial character so it's an either love or hate proposition.

Anyway long story short the reason I don't get along with Valhalla verbs is the way the bass, treble and crossover management works, as well as the ER. It just doesn't click with my way of thinking. But the quality of the sound itself is honestly absolutely top shelf in every respect.

Having bought 4 Valhalla plugs a week ago, I've been rationalizing why I should get FreqEcho. I was pleasantly surprised that it's free, and my "demo" isn't going to expire. :D
Here's hoping Sean rolls out a 64 bit version with default vertical mode for the knobs. I saw on his blog that it's on the agenda for Q1 of 2014. ...but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. :tu:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

I love Valhalla, but recently I bought Lexicon PCM's...and I must say, they are levels above Valhalla verbs. The way they sit in the mix, the way the reverb becomes part of the sound is amazing. Haven't experienced that with Valhalla verbs in past 2 years. Blackhole is good too, but you can do similar things with Shimmer as well.

And now there's Zynaptiq's Adaptiverb.

Reverbical is a close comparison to black hole.

i dunno.. i started an identical topic myself a few months back, not even realising i had posted in this one :dog:

I had shimmer but then ended up getting blackhole and that's the one I use.

Don't get me wrong, shimmer is incredible value, easy to use, sounds high quality and has the unique pitch shift, but blackhole to me just is "bigger".. shimmer still has the natural vibe to it's sound.. i use BH when i wasn't something ridiculous.

I'm well over buying reverbs anyway, haven't bought one since blackhole which filled that final gap for me..

I guess i have a thing for the eventide sound, kind of like i do for lex, as i also like the ultra verb and the room verb. (i don't have the former but do the latter).

Eventide are one of the few companies that allow ilok auth that is much quicker than any C/R system, and you do NOT need a dongle. So hence my post.. perhaps those who wouldn't normally consider it cause they think they have to have a physical dongle, will.

Note, i only paid $43 for it from a store when it was $49 on sale.. at 199 normal i think it's a ridiculous price and i wouldn't have bought it had it not been on sale. I would have stuck with shimmer. They do complement eachother in some way too, so it can't really hirt to have both if one see BH on sale.. Shimmer is always on sale at that super low price, like all Sean's plugins.

I also notice with PT, cause the daw itself uses ilok, that the ilok plugins load up instantly, there is no pause like other daw's. Kind of like syncrosoft plugins with Cubase. So I am very pro ilok as i have my complete self contained daw auth and plugin auths on one little stick :)

You may want to give Polaris a try: www.audiority.com/shop/polaris/

Cheers,
Luca

Delfinoverde wrote:It's a riddle to me why so many praise Valhalla-stuff…… to me their products are rather mediocre. Well, sound quality isn't the worst but their GUI design is just horrible! Say what you want but the eyes work also when working with the ears.
huh? The Shimmer interface is a thing of beauty - one of my favourite plugins in terms of interface (and it sounds great). I hope it never changes (apart from maybe resize) as it's almost perfect imho (although the plugin itself needs better preset management).

Well, apart from that the Delfinoverde account is banned now, i also find that the Valhalla verbs are a bit overhyped here. Like many products which are low priced, and offer good quality, and, especially, have people behind them which encourage a rather "alternative" pricing scheme. I have owned Vintage Verb and Valhalla Room, Vintage Verb was much too coloured for me, and especially a colour i don't really like much, too modulated, almost muddy, dark, and dampened, and Room is too clean for many uses. It's good on precussions, but, apart from that, i fail to see its use a bit really. They're both very specialized, and IMO work only on some material. There are other verbs which are much more general purpose IMO, and really work on a lot of material. Each to his like, and stuff, but, again, just like with synths which are supposed to be able to do "everything", i find the same argument laid down with the Valhalla verbs here on KVR. At least from the majority of people. It's just not true IMO. Reverbs, just like synths, are a very sensible, personal preference, and it can't be simplified, or generalized that you're good to go with this or that reverb. And, especially if someone asks about something similar to Blackhole, i'd really check what really sounds remotely like it. If that is what the OP wants of course, maybe he's just looking for a similar architecture.

Btw, wth does it even mean saying a reverb is of "top sound quality"? Does that simply mean that you like its sound? :lol:

There's a free plugin called "guitar gadgets", try the "cascade reverb" (its a module inside the plugin) in series with the free valhalla echo... ;-)

Also, check the latest issue of Computer Music magazine. It's got the full version of Tone2 Warmverb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4z-d1Uew68

Pity it's only 32 bit on Mac.

Valhalla and Fabfilter make the best GUI for my taste. VVV is beautifull to me.

But I love Bauhaus and minimalist Styles.
dedication to flying

Neon Breath wrote:Hi folks,

I'm looking for a new plugin (I use ValhallaRoom now) for very very deep, outerspace reverb. I'm NOT looking for a conventional reverb nor emulations of rooms and plates. Something more creative and huge, similar to Blackhole from Eventide. But this one is iloked2, which I don't have.

Any ideas and suggestions for something similar to Blackhole?

Thx!
The Lexicon PCM effects and reverbs can be tweaked to taste, given the many parameters.

Blackhole has its own sound, excellent for those "..very very deep, outerspace reverb"
you mentioned.

Also, Valhalla has some very capable reverbs for an affordable price.

Update: (and by the way thanks for all the suggestions you guys gave in this thread)

My quest ended few weeks ago, when I tried Zynaptiq Adaptiverb. That’s what I was looking for, a reverb for outerspace ambiences, huge engulfed sound & ultra deep dark silky reverberation. That thing is crazy!

:D

Return to “Effects”