Waves Metafilter - Finally something interesting from Waves

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MetaFilter

cyphersuit wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:
cyphersuit wrote:Judging from the product video on youtube this is a toy for newbies, right?
Most audio companies videos suck, check out NI demos for example, doesn't make them bad products.

Why you would think this product is a toy for newbies IDK, sounds very condescending, are you on some higher plain of enlightenment that you prejudge a plugin from a video rather than demoing it and making a valid judgement, very strange.

The video targets djs and shows weak ducking effects. Did you watch it?!?

Edit: i was talking about the video called metafilter plugin tutorial. The short trailer rocks.
Of course I watched it, I would never make a judgment on a selective picking of a video, you state one of the vids "rocked", by that logic you should have posted " best plugin ever, will change the world etc ", clearly that would be stupid. Get my point.

Using the term " a toy for newbies " without even demoing is demeaning , whatever you claim. I don't think Waves make " toys for newbies " as a rule. Come back with an opinion after trying it and that would be credible.
Last edited by woodsdenis on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

djanthonyw wrote:I was finally able to try the demo and it sound decent, but no better than The Drop. It actually uses more CPU than The Drop on HD mode as well. The GUI is also a bit sluggish in LPX while my other plugins run fine. I'll be passing on this one. I guess The Drop is really all I need anyway.
Would agree, however I find this much easier to use workflow wise and much quicker to get a result that I want. The Drop still remains king of the crop, I just find complex modulation routing difficult to visualize with it. Metafilter is laid out very well and sounds very good, the mod sliders are sort like the Fxpansion way of doing it, not a Drop killer but worth it for me for ease of use primarily.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Is this like the filter version of Element?

woodsdenis wrote:
cyphersuit wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:
cyphersuit wrote:Judging from the product video on youtube this is a toy for newbies, right?
Most audio companies videos suck, check out NI demos for example, doesn't make them bad products.

Why you would think this product is a toy for newbies IDK, sounds very condescending, are you on some higher plain of enlightenment that you prejudge a plugin from a video rather than demoing it and making a valid judgement, very strange.

The video targets djs and shows weak ducking effects. Did you watch it?!?

Edit: i was talking about the video called metafilter plugin tutorial. The short trailer rocks.
Of course I watched it, I would never make a judgment on a selective picking of a video, you state one of the vids "rocked", by that logic you should have posted " best plugin ever, will change the world etc ", clearly that would be stupid. Get my point.

Using the term " a toy for newbies " without even demoing is demeaning , whatever you claim. I don't think Waves make " toys for newbies " as a rule. Come back with an opinion after trying it and that would be credible.
i guess i is a language barrier thing, i wanted to say it seems to be targeted to a certain audience.
Finally!

I think i prefer Wow 2 altho each have their high and low points.

You can do more with Wow 2, but I think the Wave's filters are better quality (imo).

Not all that sold on the comb filter tho', but everything else I really like.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I don't mean to dig this up unnecessarily, however I thought it pertinent to explain that my issues with the plugin were the result of a corrupt Waves shell installation. I had a very nice support session with a Waves tech over the phone, who connected remotely and cleaned everything up...Now, I don't know what you may call that, but I call it Service. I've never experienced such service with a Demo version of a plugin. Anyway, all was working after that. Unfortunately, I discovered that it wasn't exactly what I had in mind...Although it is a fantastic sounding plugin. Also, the slider dragging to get my own shapes was a bit quirky. I'd definitely recommend it for someone without a nice auto-filter, but we have to wait to see how Cytomic's Drop will shape up towards official release. I am sure it will not have all the functionality of these other auto-filters, but it will be automate-able within the plugin and has some nice unique features of its own. With this flood of software technology in the last decade or so one has to be even more mindful of what one already possesses and it's potential before believing that a new piece of equipment is needed. And be mindful of what -could- be released if one waits a couple seasons more. Everything is moving so fast. I'll pass on this for now. Great work by Waves however. I'm also a big fan of Element's sound as well and the accuracy of it's controls. Anyway, I just thought I would update. Cheers

Thread dig.

So this has been out awhile now - any new impressions?

It's currently on sale which puts it well under the price of even Sugar Bytes WOW2.

How does it stack up as a creative filter? CPU hungry? Stutter Edit-comparable sequences? :lol:

Its ok, nothing to write home about imo. Just try the demo, decide for yourself.
Its not really even comparable to stutter edit, id have to say.

*It is comparable to Wow or say The drop... But I wouldn't bet on it
in such comparisons...

-Cheers

MogwaiBoy wrote:Thread dig.

So this has been out awhile now - any new impressions?

It's currently on sale which puts it well under the price of even Sugar Bytes WOW2.

How does it stack up as a creative filter? CPU hungry? Stutter Edit-comparable sequences? :lol:

i like it very much. It's my second favourite after the drop.

Sendy wrote:
Sendy wrote:I can't find a way to make it sync properly to tempo. It goes at the right speed obviously but I can't find a way of keeping it in phase. It's essentially a crap shoot each time you press play as it's free running. I like the sound, though.
Is anyone else having this same problem? I'm using Cubase 6.5. I've tried different settings in Cubase to no avail. Beat sync is useless without phase retriggering and I'm kinda staggered that something that's VST3 isn't basing it's LFO's phase on song position.
Hey. Sorry to ask you to return to a problem from two years ago, but I'm also having a sync issue with MetaFilter, and wonder if you found a solution?

Basically the LFO seems to be unreliable. On long settings it unpredictably restarts the cycle at the wrong time. This is means that I can't set up a filter sweep over one or two bars without it going out of sync sooner or later :help:

nine-oh-nine wrote:
Sendy wrote:
Sendy wrote:I can't find a way to make it sync properly to tempo. It goes at the right speed obviously but I can't find a way of keeping it in phase. It's essentially a crap shoot each time you press play as it's free running. I like the sound, though.
Is anyone else having this same problem? I'm using Cubase 6.5. I've tried different settings in Cubase to no avail. Beat sync is useless without phase retriggering and I'm kinda staggered that something that's VST3 isn't basing it's LFO's phase on song position.
Hey. Sorry to ask you to return to a problem from two years ago, but I'm also having a sync issue with MetaFilter, and wonder if you found a solution?

Basically the LFO seems to be unreliable. On long settings it unpredictably restarts the cycle at the wrong time. This is means that I can't set up a filter sweep over one or two bars without it going out of sync sooner or later :help:
Try reseting the "Follow" dials maybe...

MogwaiBoy wrote:
nine-oh-nine wrote:
Sendy wrote:

Try reseting the "Follow" dials maybe...
Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried that, and it didn't help :?

Under $44 at a reputable seller, I took it. Haven't had a chance to delve into it yet though. I'll see if it syncs up on FL Studio.

DAMN!!!

I just got this thing for about 40€... (couldn't resist) - and to my suprise it is so inspiring, easy to use and sounds so good! :o :shock:

Usually I'm not a huge fan of filter-plugins, but this one is really something outstanding (because it is a lot more than just a filter)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”