released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bronto Scorpio wrote:In some months I may be working on a project were I'm facing a certain problem, and then I'll remember "Hey, I have this SlickHDR plugin, which could work quite well here!"
That's not how it's used to be used! You have to put in on every track, every group and on the master bus! RTFM! :x :P

Why should I use a 3-in-one-compressor-chain-plugin, where I have to rely on "luck and accident" to get good results, when I can just use the tools I know to get the results I want?
Wow, this thread became ridiculous.
So you want people (preferably the dev?) to convince you to use a tool that was given to the community for free?
Don't like it? Don't use it! What an useless discussion here...

I wouldn't call it a gamechanger plugin that magically makes everything sound better.
Though I think it will have it's use cases. Tried it on buses, master and solo tracks. For testing I inserted one on every track in a mix and that was too much for my taste. So far I think it works good on buses with the meters barely moving or on instruments that need that "extra shine" (with heavier action then).

Thanks bootsie!

Dr.Gunjah wrote:Wow, this thread became ridiculous.
So you want people (preferably the dev?) to convince you to use a tool that was given to the community for free?
Don't like it? Don't use it! What an useless discussion here...
1. Please show me, where I wanted anyone to convince me.

2. Why do you think, this discussion is "useless"?
This is KVR. We discuss plugins all day long.

3. I tried it, I don't like it, and I won't use it.
Still I came here to word my opinion as others did.

I'm enjoying using Herbert's latest, I've done a quick cover of Black Sabbath's War Pigs (well the intro anyway) as I wanted to bust out my wah pedal and use some delay too. One of them has SlickHDR processing on and the other it is off, I wouldn't probably use it across a whole mix as I've done in this manner but still I like what it brings out https://app.box.com/s/hpqlpaw83ijjgsqyhmid
Excuse the rough quality as it was a half hour job of tracking and mixing it, I perhaps smashed it a bit too hot before using SlickHDR anyway but I ain't got time to go change it atm.
For me personally it does what I expected it to do, Can't wait to use it in a proper mix on individual sources and probably some aux/bus roles too

All the best to all as always and if you think I have butchered War Pigs then I apologize in advance

Dean

Edit, BTW first is the mix without SlickHDR followed by the version processed with SlickHDR. Its a bit special and now I've got it running on individual tracks, groups, bus/return/aux tracks it really shines. It doesn't negate any tools I have and am aware of but augments them really well :party:
Last edited by Dean Aka Nekro on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frantz wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:What's the problem?
I don't have a problem but I have questions. There is not a comparable plugin that I'm aware of. There are large companies with lots of people working full-time on compressors, mastering plugins, etc. Why hasn't something similar been done before? Perhaps this is a true innovation. It's possible but I'm skeptical.

Here the manual is talking about a network of processors "highly interacting with each other." It sounds complicated and unusual to me but I am not a DSP expert.
Technically speaking, SlickHDR contains a coupled network of three dynamic processors with two of them running in a “stateful saturation” configuration and one based on look-ahead processing.Fixed amounts of the unprocessed signal are then injected into the network at several specific points and also mixed back into the networks output. Being networked, all processors are highly interacting with each other and this is utilized to cope with a wide variety of sound (sic!) to balance the perceived audio dynamic range.
How to use it according to the manual:
Using the device across a whole mix is a very good idea. For example, applying it on a mono bass track to make it appear more consistent and then the keys and the rhythms section in the very same fashion delivers sub-mixes with a great overall translation. Then apply it on the vocal group and the drum bus to manage all the micro dynamics there. This already makes mastering a lot easier.

Inserting it on the master bus upfront the final limiter is also not only possible but beneficial. In this case, increasing loudness of the whole mix is partly delivered by psychoaccoustic processing and so the final limiter has less work to do and can operate much more relaxed. However, this plug-in is not intended to be part of any loudness race.
To summarize, put it on individual tracks, sub-mixes, the drum bus, and the master. Just put it everywhere since it will improve everything. :roll:
You must be new to Variety of Sound. This kind of talk is pretty typical of his style.

He isn't the best at explaining things (at least not in English, maybe in German he's clearer). I've just gotten used to taking each of his free offerings and saying "it's free and it seems to be doing something interesting, so I'll just use it and see if it does anything I like".

I've never been entirely clear on what Ferric actually does either, but I found uses for it.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

A.M. Gold wrote:You must be new to Variety of Sound. This kind of talk is pretty typical of his style.
Yes, I am a VOS newbie.
A.M. Gold wrote: I've just gotten used to taking each of his free offerings and saying "it's free and it seems to be doing something interesting, so I'll just use it and see if it does anything I like".
I am hearing a lot of this approach in this thread. It's not my style but it seems to work for a lot of people. Fair enough.

Frantz wrote:
jens wrote: Besides: you seem to doubt, that it is a reasonable to put SlickHDR on every track. But why is that? What is your argument against it? What is your reasoning?
Is it generally good practice to compress all the individual tracks and compress their mix buses and once again compress the master? I think not because you would squash all the dynamics out of the music. Whatever saturation the compressor adds would be overdone because it has been applied so many times.
Obviously you so far failed to realize that this is in no way a conventional dynamic compressor.

Just because someone offers something for free doesn't mean it can't be debated and discussed.
Of course it can be debated. But a successful debate requires for all partaking individuals a minimum of willfulness to consider the others' arguments, and as of now I haven't seen any evidence that you are really doing that.

To be frank and honest you appear as if you were one of those nasty loud nay-sayers who attempt to drown any sensible argument with their repeated expression of refusal to accept anything which ever-so-slightly contradicts anything their mind already has established as a fact, whether that may be a true and/or complete picture of what they look at or not.

I can't help but notice that you are one of (if not THE) most active participants in this thread even though you do not seem to have any real interest in either the plugin itself or the physical process it realizes.

I would be glad to admit that I am wrong here though.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:Obviously you so far failed to realize that this is in no way a conventional dynamic compressor.
Actually I've said many times that this plugin is unusual.

I'm tired and it's late. I am going to have check out of this thread. It seems like you want to continue sparring. Perhaps Tricky Loops could go a round or two with you. :box:

Just give it a try and don't preconceive so much. Keep in mind it can be subtle or not subtle at all depending on how you drive the different components.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

thanks, bootsie
I am enjoying this greatly.
..what goes around comes around..

This is definitely a keeper. It won't go on everything but I found it really brought together a stereo guitar buss for a current track as well as brought some presence to a piano track on the same tune. Tried it on bass guitar for the same track and found I preferred the plugin I already had on there for dynamics, which happened to be Bootsy's VBL. Tride it on the drum buss and didn't care for it as much as Density mkIII (yet another Bootsy plug).

Bronto Scorpio wrote:I completely agree with you here! My music and sounds are also often very "experimental", but I'm also very traditional when it comes to the actual mixing part and stuff like that.

You are right, I do know what to expect from a reverb when I turn the decay knob up, I also know what's technically happening to some extend.
With this plugin I may not know that much about the technical side of things, but I do know what to expect when I'm turning the knobs, simply because I'm hearing it.
After using it a few times I know when to use it and what it can or can't do for me.
Ok, so maybe I am just missing some experience here to really "get" this plugin.
Although I have to say, that over the years I definetly learned how to properbly use compression (be it single band, multiple single bands in a row, or multi band).

This plugin just isn't clear to me.
But if it's clear to you, then of course it makes sense to use it (if it's also "good" of course).

Frantz wrote:Perhaps Tricky Loops could go a round or two with you. :box:
Only if you invite me to New York and pay the flight.

crimsonwarlock wrote:
Teksonik wrote:A.B.P. Another Bootsie Placebo. :lol:
You're not a fan then?

:D

Teksonik has mustard on his bacon in the morning.

He says: Mmm.. not so hot.

He gets extra chilli powder in his, well, chilli..

Still he say: This is not so hot.

He then parks his car where he should not.
He gets a fine. This bothers him not a jot.
Unphased he says: They should have charged me more
for that spot.

Tek goes to buy crack.
He gets a particularly good rock.
He says to the cracktender 'Mmm. that was a particularly good rock, you should have charged me more'.

That is what you are dealing with, when it comes to Tek.

Those that know him, love him.
Those that don't, sell him crack.

It might explain some things.

:-)

Tricky-Loops wrote:Only if you invite me to New York and pay the flight.
I would like to cordially invite you to take an all expenses paid trans-Atlantic cruise to New York on my luxury yacht (pictured below). If you survive the journey, luxury hotel accommodations will be provided for you. :)

Return to “Effects”