released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have to say, I'm surprised to see such a range of responses to the release of this particular freebie. We all know the limitations of SM at this point, that's just an "is what it is" problem that is not going to change as far as anyone can tell so ya gotta go in knowing what you're in for there, I think.

As far as what the plugin actually does, I guess it could be better explained, but the key word for me is "psychoacoustic" - that frees up any need for an especially rigorous application of the term "HDR" since it's acknowledging at the get-go that the plugin is designed first and foremost to sound good, taking into account human hearing idiosyncrasies.

I guess I'm just weirded out by the fact that Bootsie is being put through the ringer a bit here when he has pretty much never done anything but make quality freeware plugins. Before I could afford good commercial software, and before some commercial software that isn't very expensive but is very high quality hit the scene, I got a ton of use from Bootsie's freeware. I'm more inclined, I guess, to give him respect than to give him a hard time, even if it's probably true that he could have gone a little farther to explain exactly what his plugin is doing here. But the price of admission is free provided your host can run Win 32-bit VSTs, so... I dunno, major gripes seem out of place in this little ecosystem :)

I haven't yet found a good situation to use this, but there are some other plugins I am still getting used to right now so it hasn't taken super precedence either.

Sorry if I missed it, but is there any explanation as to what this plugin actually does, and are there any alternatives?
You are currently reading my signature.

Here
http://www.ronnypries.de/blog/plugins/v ... explained/

I played with it a bit yesterday and the plugin is indeed interesting, but subtle. Adds some quality to the music there wasn't before, but it's not that spectacular. Still, I decided to put on of these on each of my group channel and overlay it with limiter. Now the track can sound very loud and not loose any detail... actually some important details turned out to be more exposed than they were.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I tried it on only one track, admittedly, and set it up as per the manual instructions (all 3 meters hitting max green, but no yellow or red) and way preferred the sound with it out of the chain. Will give it one more chance before deleting it though.

Can't complain as it's free, and love some of his other plugs. :D

I can certainly hear a big difference this adds to tracks, which sort of puts me in the mind of the BBE SONIC MAXIMIZER in a sense, because it adds more perceived clarity & punch without overkill. People are stuck on terminology and explanations rather than using their ears. Every effect isn't designed to be in your face or need long explanations when you have ears. A lot of people have read or seen videos about what a compressor does and it's uses- and still have no idea what they really do and how to use them.

Admittedly, there are some VOS plugins that I felt were duds, but have now recently discovered their real power and usefulness- because I'm using my ears more carefully and understand more about the application of certain tools. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm using my ears more like an audio engineer would. I'm using VOS tools in Maschine which they definitely sound great in. I've noticed that some plugins simply don't sound their best in every DAW or program.

pc2000 wrote:I've noticed that some plugins simply don't sound their best in every DAW or program.
sorry but that's hogwash.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:
pc2000 wrote:I've noticed that some plugins simply don't sound their best in every DAW or program.
sorry but that's hogwash.
True.. although I've found that some plugins sound their best when I've just cleaned my monitor surface.

hehe so true...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

I'm saying is that I'm using my ears more like an audio engineer would
If you use your ears, you can only judge the sound you hear.
If you use your knowledge, you can design the sound before you actually hear it. This is how engineering works.

Just my two cents.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:Here
http://www.ronnypries.de/blog/plugins/v ... explained/

I played with it a bit yesterday and the plugin is indeed interesting, but subtle. Adds some quality to the music there wasn't before, but it's not that spectacular. Still, I decided to put on of these on each of my group channel and overlay it with limiter. Now the track can sound very loud and not loose any detail... actually some important details turned out to be more exposed than they were.
The thing is, it's NOT subtle once you add it to many tracks. Open up an old mix and insert the plugin on at least 10 tracks.. then bounce the results. Now do the same while the plugin is bypassed.

If you've setup the plugin correctly and made sure you put them on tracks that benefit from the processing (hint: reverb returns are AWESOME targets, you just need to gain stage them usually with external plugins first to get them hot enough) you should quite clearly hear the benefit of the plugin.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

BTW an update on my previous problem running under 64 bit Cubase. I used JBridge with "Force whole GUI refresh" ticked and that has completely solved the problems, no crashes and no problem with knobs not redrawing.

bmanic wrote:(hint: reverb returns are AWESOME targets, you just need to gain stage them usually with external plugins first to get them hot enough)
I have noticed the same thing with Reverbs,

As with former Bootsie plugins, there's no mention as to how hard you should drive the thing (gain stage it) so I assume one should drive it fairly hard (if it follows the same flow like his older plugins).
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Deeper color and contrast is what I would describe
the processing with SlickHDR in use of visual terms.
More loudness and details with nice saturation is what I hear.

I give a damn about how and what it does, to make that sound, as long as it does.
SlickHDR is now in my master chain and stays there...

I am very, very surprised that this effect was made with synthedit.
Didn't know that it can be so powerful in the hands of the right man.
Usually I avoid vst's made with such software...

VSO-effects are a big exception

Go on Bootsy

simpli.cissimus wrote:...I am very, very surprised that this effect was made with synthedit...
If I am not mistaken SynthEdit is only used for the GUI.

I am working on a piece that is currently at 14 tracks. Not a lot of drum stuff going on, but several tracks of rumbling synth sounds that had a lot of low-mid craziness that was hard to tame. Usually I use some combination of EQ and Sanford Bass Tightener on that kind of stuff, but I have now inserted SlickHDR on 5 or 6 tracks with great results. It has been an easy assistant for taming those tracks as well as bringing out some of the mid to high-mid for clarity. Of course the expected VOS saturation is there, and I combined that with Satin on the master bus for a very nice effect.

Return to “Effects”