released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The great thing about your new plugin is that nobody can say it sounds better or worse than this or that compressor because it's completely innovative! :tu:

bootsie wrote: SlickHDR is a “Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor” which:

- balances the perceived global vs. local micro dynamics of any incoming audio.
- creates a rich in contrast, detailed and clearly perceived image which translates way better across different listening environments.
- provides a convenient workflow by simply adjusting three dynamic processors to show a roughly same load.
- offers further and detailed control about overall tone and release time behavior.

in plain English, what is it? That jargon means nothing to me....

Kriminal wrote:

- creates a rich in contrast, detailed and clearly perceived image which translates way better across different listening environments.
- provides a convenient workflow by simply adjusting three dynamic processors to show a roughly same load.
- offers further and detailed control about overall tone and release time behavior.

It's a magic potion that brings the Mojo back into the track! :hihi:

Sorry to say, bootsie, but you are mistaken in almost every regard in your reply to eidenk. When it comes to photographic HDR imaging, eidenk is essentially correct on every point. HDR is not the same thing as tone mapping and you can tone map a genuine 32 bit HDR image to, for example, a 16 bit/channel TIFF or PSD – there is nothing about tone mapping that presupposes an 8 bit/channel JPEG.

Regarding your praised plug-in, I have no idea, since I'm on Macs and haven't tried it. But it seems to me from your reply that your genius is more at home in the audio than in the photographic field.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:Sorry to say, bootsie, but you are mistaken in almost every regard in your reply to eidenk. When it comes to photographic HDR imaging, eidenk is essentially correct on every point. HDR is not the same thing as tone mapping and you can tone map a genuine 32 bit HDR image to, for example, a 16 bit/channel TIFF or PSD – there is nothing about tone mapping that presupposes an 8 bit/channel JPEG.
nope
follow me on Image

bootsie wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:Sorry to say, bootsie, but you are mistaken in almost every regard in your reply to eidenk. When it comes to photographic HDR imaging, eidenk is essentially correct on every point. HDR is not the same thing as tone mapping and you can tone map a genuine 32 bit HDR image to, for example, a 16 bit/channel TIFF or PSD – there is nothing about tone mapping that presupposes an 8 bit/channel JPEG.
nope
I love a well argued reply! :lol:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

PeterL wrote:Here's a short example (before/after) with about the same RMS, either you like it or not (of course dynamic range decreases).
http://www.leinilive.at/hdr/example1_before.wav
http://www.leinilive.at/hdr/example1_after.wav
If you want to download and have problems to do this with your browser, click here:
http://www.leinilive.at/slickhdr.html
I don't hear much difference. Is that the final verdict that I am not pro audio? :scared: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well, if it sounds good on a track, use it -- if it doesn't sound good, don't use it!

It doesn't make EVERY track automatically great but in most cases it gives some more definition and clarity to the instruments as well as some more "warmth" (with the right adjustments).

Regarding your praised plug-in, I have no idea, since I'm on Macs and haven't tried it. But it seems to me from your reply that your genius is more at home in the audio than in the photographic field.

/Joachim
I've been wracking my brain, trying to imagine what relationship to photographic HDR this plugin could possibly have. Recording at 24bit, 96khz is somewhat akin to capturing a high dynamic range image. Tone mapping that data to fit into a smaller numeric range can be accomplished in a number of different ways, with different results. This plugin does not remap a large numeric range to a smaller one, so that's out. Of course, the end result of such tone mapping is often an increase in local contrast, so perhaps that is where the similarities lie. I'm not even sure what "local contrast" would mean in sonic terms, however. That seems more like a measure of the amount of high frequency content.

The problem here is that we haven't been offered a technical explanation of what this plugin actually does.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Kriminal wrote:

It offers an alternative way to managing your dynamics in a way that is not possible (or very hard) via conventional means (ie. through orthodox dynamic range compression).

Furthermore, one manages to get away from the nasty artifacts of compression AND achieves MORE details, loudness (although Bootsie CLEARLY states that he is NOT part of the dynamic war) and punch within the dynamic frame of audio material (that is why it is called "high dynamic range").

I played with it ... with a lot of audio materials (mainly electronic stuff). if one follows EXACTLY the suggested workflow in the manual... one should be DEAF to not hear what it is doing to the audio.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Thanks Bootsie for this!!! <3 <3 <3

one question:
i might be missing something but over here ... the trim knob seems way too less efective for me... the volume-increase after only setting P1 is already so high that i can't lower the output enough. maybe its a bug in the small GUI version ... will check now.

CableChannel wrote:
PeterL wrote:Here's a short example (before/after) with about the same RMS, either you like it or not (of course dynamic range decreases).
If you want to download and have problems to do this with your browser, click here:
I don't hear much difference. Is that the final verdict that I am not pro audio? :scared: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Also not much difference on the first triangle sound (ping-ping -> Ping-Ping) ?
No ? Ear doctor is calling:)

Love it! This is the best plugin Bootsie released aside from NastyVCS, TesslaPro, both ThrillSeekers, PreFix and others :) It's especially great for controlling the dynamics on the main buss which is usually drums and bass. I find using it a bit more "conservative" is the best way to go. Like, P1 only on green, P2 only a few green LEDs down and the P3 the same as P2 or nothing. I usually leave P3 as it is. What makes a difference is the level of your input. I usually give it -18dB RMS level audio since that's the normal level of my tracks.

The only thing I'm still bothered with is SynthMaker's framework and it's quirkiness... [like it likes to break and gives you full 0FS output at times] it's not a really great way of making plugins. C++ and Juice is the way to go.
Last edited by DuX on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

PeterL wrote:
CableChannel wrote:
Also not much difference on the first triangle sound (ping-ping -> Ping-Ping) ?
No ? Ear doctor is calling:)
OK, now that you say it and that I use good headphones I hear it. Before I listened to it on my consumer stereo and it was just to sublte to notice it.

I asked for a wet/dry knob (global) but it occurred to me I should ask---are the low and high 'details' knobs essentially just low and high band wet/dry knobs or not?
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Return to “Effects”