released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Guys, please. The plug in is free. Try it out. Play with it. If it does something you like, then use it. If not, simply uninstall and move on. Why do we have to have these public show trials of developers whenever anybody attempts to try something new?
My music is a fusion of jazz and funk. It's called "Junk"

I don't see any public trials of developers going on here. Just about everyone has said that they like what it does. Some of us were questioning the use of the term HDR, and wondering what exactly this thing is doing under the hood. There were some comments voicing frustration with the development environment used. But really, the conversation has been positive, and everyone seems to like the plugin.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I have come to the same conclusion that "low" and "high" is essentially just wet/dry knob for a particular band, too. It just lets the more of a dry signal in if I'm not mistaken.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

technical gubbins goes right over my head, but I LOVE this plugin, way more than I was expecting.

paterpeter wrote:If only the plugins were native 64bit :/ I know about the difficulties, but still.
+1

But then, Bootsie would be spending his time learning (and debugging) C++ instead of creating all these wonderful toys... Think of the release delays! Can we really wait that long between our fixes? :hihi:
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

But speaking of fixes, he is also dependant on the SynthMaker authors for the most of the fixes, too. He can make such brilliant and bugless code but put it in SynthMaker and you get its bugs. It is a wonderful thing to have a tool like SM or SE for those who know DSP but don't like to get involved with programming the whole plugin, "only" the audio processing part and even there you can get help by SM and SE internal code, but to make a plugin available for every system out there and to be able to fix all the bugs yourself one has to program the plugin from scratch.

I mean, I think that it is OK for a plugin that looks and acts like that funny and stupid digital aliasing-fest plugin called "Sausage Fattener", for example [it's just a boring waveshaper type saturation like 166 other saturators...], to be SE or SM [and it is NOT], but Bootsie's code does deserve better. IMHO. I think his plugins are nor funny nor stupid and they really work nicely and are innovative. But they do suffer from bugs. Synthmaker bugs, I'm sure. I always get buggy stuff happening with VOS plugins. Usually loss of audio or some denormal problems or full +380dB audio on the output and stuff like that. If he could take care of that he would already.

You know there are so many questions on VOS blog about 64bit, OS-X version, even Linux version and people still can't understand why those versions will never happen and why they should ask SynthMaker makers that question, not Bootsie. Bootsie has his hands tied to 32bit Windows platform because of SynthMaker being only Windows 32-bit compatible. That's simply it. It is a great shame that this wonderful code he makes is not made differently. :(

I wish Bootsie joined forces with VladG and Tokyo Dawn Records, or just about anyone who knows C++ and Juce. :D But when you think about it, add to that Mr. Sleepy-Time Records and you have new "Waves". :hihi: I would like to see [hear!] "stateful saturation" and Bootsie's knowledge about DSP being used in more plugins. :cry:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Yup, I must say this is one heck of a plugin :) Tbh I wasn't expecting much, but it works damn well on pretty much anything - be it a drum loop or a synth line - once you add it on top, it makes that sound shine, adds presence and clarity.
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

What I like is the way it makes whatever source you put it on "stable". The dynamics are much more controlled and coherent, just like any other good compressor except this one is extremely easy to get pleasing results with.

It reminds me a lot of some of my own chains of saturation plugins + compression + tiny limiting. A lot of processes that do very subtle things in combination making the final process more controlled or "focused" if you will.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Kriminal wrote:
bootsie wrote: SlickHDR is a “Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor” which:

- balances the perceived global vs. local micro dynamics of any incoming audio.
- creates a rich in contrast, detailed and clearly perceived image which translates way better across different listening environments.
- provides a convenient workflow by simply adjusting three dynamic processors to show a roughly same load.
- offers further and detailed control about overall tone and release time behavior.

in plain English, what is it? That jargon means nothing to me....
I'm glad you wrote that, because I have the same problem, I've used the plugin this afternoon, to see if it would fit into a mastering chain, as it did supply a certain amount of upwards expansion to the track, however I found when having to consider this within a mastering chain including multiband compression things got messy with the dynamics, unless some one can explain it's best use, then I'm left thinking it's an unnecessary unless you really no how to perform the aforementioned with your mastering.

A.B.P. Another Bootsie Placebo. :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:A.B.P. Another Bootsie Placebo. :lol:
You're not a fan then?

:D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

I was skeptical so I decided to find about psychoacoustics.Just for shits and giggles I read the info on Wikipedia and was quite surprised. I won't try to defend or debunk. Read it for yourself. If nothing else I learned something about the mechanics of sound.

Quick question - the manual recommends placing SlickHDR at the "top" of the effects chain. Does this mean first or last? To my way of thinking, "top" could mean either. Won't have time to mess with this myself until later this week.

I've placed it as the last plugin (after everything else) 'cause I thought it would make a bigger difference - and sure enough,the result was obvious: the sound was (somehow) pushed forward (in your face), was tighter and with increased clarity. I like it especially on single instrument tracks - it helps clearing up the muddiness a lot. IMO (and according to my deaf ears, of course) ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

I'm currently using SlickHDR in a real project for the first time :)
I'm using three instances:

Two on the drum buss, but only one of them is active at a time. The drums change a lot during the project, so I'm activating the second instance in some parts while bypassing the first.There is also an instance of ThrillseekerXTC on this buss.

The third instance is on some kind of rhythmic glitch buss :hihi:

I'm also using NastyDLAmkII and FerricTDS, as in almost all my tracks.
Maybe I'll get the track finished today, I'll post it here if I get it ready!

Cheers
Dennis

Return to “Effects”