New T-RackS Master EQ 432 NOW AVAILABLE (full GUI pic inside)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS CS

great move from IKM "forced demo install". your customers will love it. :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

zyzygis wrote:...
IK are mistaken if they think that everyone is going to be happy with this, it would serve them better to give the customer the choice to install what they choose, why risk alienating any of your customers, when a simple solution will make them all happier?
Because what you might see as a simple solution might not be simple for others. If they let the users decide what to install I am pretty sure the will get a lot of tickets going "I bought that plugin but it doesn't appear in my host, where is it?". I can understand that companies have to draw a line somewhere and cannot respect every single user wish (else you get Reaper :wink:). UAD do the same, btw.
I was a little bit annoyed at first, too, but then I simply disabled the plugins I don't have in the plugin manager, took me like 20 seconds, problem solved.
And to prevent the impression that I secretly work for IKM, here's the things where I see room for improvement:
- bigger, clearer fonts on the GUI. I am turning forty next month and have bad eyesight :(
- a dry/wet knob on every compressor. Any company releasing compressors w/o mix knobs should be flogged publicly.

fese wrote:Frankly, I really don't understand those tirades against IKM. If you don't like the company or the products ot the way they sell stuff, don't buy them.
Which is exactly what I'm doing for quite a while now - to show that what IKM does it not okay in my book. I only post in here (since someone asked as well, why people like me do this) to remind others to maybe think twice as well.

fese wrote:OK, I am quite new to IKM, but so far I got good quality for very little money from them, I know they do many sales and i won't be buying new plugins for 100+€ from them knowing there will be sales, I guess many others do the same.
And this is my main point of critism - especially since there really is nothing in it for us "longtime users". Like... custom bundles and stuff like that. Only Gear Credits (which devalue the whole system), we can't upgrade/crossgrade to our liking, etc.

BTW: IK Multimedia is existing since 1996, and they first stepped into the VST game in 1999 (more like 2000, IIRC the very first T-Racks was standalone and not yet VST ready). I'm with IKM software since late 2000s, around 2006/2007 or so with freeware, and then with ARC in 2008 IIRC. So I consider myself a "longtime user".

I'm not commenting on the UAD argument.

murnau wrote:great move from IKM "forced demo install". your customers will love it. :D
People should really make up their mind on this.

Offline users can't access the "plugins" unless they authorize their software with a very strange activation process. Now these plugins are all installed on the go, which should make things easier.

You download about 300MB for the Custom Shop, the main plugins (shell) and the whole ROM (where the plugins are packed into) anyway. So why not extract them right from the start?

:shrug:

The only issue I see, is that it's now easier for crack groups again to unlock the Custom Shop. Two sides of the medal.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I think the extra plugins are annoying as well. Would be much nicer if it worked with tick boxes during install. This way I have the single executable where I can always re-install/check a plugin that interests me and not have any bloat if it doesn't.

Something like the FabFilter total bundle installer would be awesome.

By the way, what other company forces you to install all plugins? I don't recall any. All of the ones with huge plugin packs usually let you select what plugins are installed. Waves. Image-Line. FabFilter. Native Instruments. Can't think of a single company that forces you to install stuff that you don't own or don't want to demo. :shrug:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Last edited by buscemi on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmanic wrote:By the way, what other company forces you to install all plugins? I don't recall any. All of the ones with huge plugin packs usually let you select what plugins are installed. Waves. Image-Line. FabFilter. Native Instruments. Can't think of a single company that forces you to install stuff that you don't own or don't want to demo. :shrug:
UAD, again. And they have way more plugins. I guess their installer must be a couple hundreds megs nowadays, don't know. And you have to buy extra hardware and their plugins cost twice as much as IKM's :o

zyzygis wrote:I want to make it clear that I have no negativity towards Peter whatsoever, and I sincerely applogise if anything I have said has appeared that way, on the contrary, I fully appreciate the work he does representing the company and the customers. I am always grateful to Peter for forwarding my complaints and suggestions to the company and hope that they will listen to a reasonable request to allow greater choice in this matter.
IK are mistaken if they think that everyone is going to be happy with this, it would serve them better to give the customer the choice to install what they choose, why risk alienating any of your customers, when a simple solution will make them all happier?
Understood, definitely! No need to apologize at all. And I didn't mean to imply that everyone would be happy with this (or anything, to be honest, that's just the way it goes) and I have definitely relayed the concerns and suggestions as always.

No negativity toward Peter is meant on this end either. Peter is in the unenviable position to take the heat for decisions made by others. In fact, Peter, maybe, given how familiar you've become with the customer base, they should start letting you make some decisions, rather than just relaying them.

Add me to the "add a check mark for which plugins you want installed" crowd. And an option to turn the T-Rex logo off under preferences, to shut the whiners up.

AudioGuy720 wrote:Add me to the "add a check mark for which plugins you want installed" crowd. And an option to turn the T-Rex logo off under preferences, to shut the whiners up.
Or change it to a choo-choo train...I don't care what anyone else wants :lol:

kylen wrote:
AudioGuy720 wrote:Add me to the "add a check mark for which plugins you want installed" crowd. And an option to turn the T-Rex logo off under preferences, to shut the whiners up.
Or change it to a choo-choo train...I don't care what anyone else wants :lol:
*this may hurt my chances to be considered for any decision-making duties as suggested above*

:clap: Peter for President!

kylen wrote::clap: Peter for President!
Ha! You'd all be f'd but would have a great time while it happened :)

And to AudioGuy720 - I've got some words for you about that, but I cannot express them during this critical presidential campaign :tu:

I just deleted the ones I don't have in the .dll's

So, again, anyone want to talk about the actual plug?

Return to “Effects”