New from NI: Supercharger GT

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Supercharger Supercharger GT

i experience a few crashes every now and then, but REAPER has a lot of options to prevent crashes. recently, Melodyne essential started crashing on me. solution - run it in a dedicated process. works like a charm. and there are other options to prevent crashes that you can try as well.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Agreed wrote:
Kindred wrote: woah! Dude you have found the holy grail. What is your setup? I have never heard of anyone having no crashes in 3 years. Even Microsoft Excel crashes once a month for me....

Please post your setup, so that we might learn.
It's just an i7-2600 at 4.5GHz on an Asus Sabertooth P67, with 16GB of G-Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz/CL9 DDR3. I've kept the BIOS up to date and I run Windows 7 business 64-bit on it. My DAW is Reaper 64-bit and I'm commercially licensed and update it regularly (though I do keep the last five or ten versions around just in case; you never know - a history of stability does not promise a future of stability!)

I spent ages validating it when I first finished putting it together, lots of memtest86/+, prime95, linpack, etc., but I genuinely have not had a single crash while recording for the entire time I've used this particular computer.

I have of course had some application crashes in that time; WDDM handles a lot of exceptions that would have crashed prior OSes gracefully, but it's not perfect, and coders sure as shit aren't perfect either.

When I say I haven't had crashes, I mean very specifically I have not had any crashes while using my DAW, for tracking, mixing, or mastering. I should probably note that I've been pretty thoroughly proactive in seeking out replacements for old plugins, emphasizing finding things that can surpass their functionality and which are currently maintained as opposed to long-abandoned, which probably doesn't hurt; and also that REAPER's 32-bit bridging (for the few 32-bit plugins I still do use) is pretty exceptional, largely transparent and with virtually no overhead.

It's not any sort of holy grail, it's just a stable setup. I would be concerned if my DAW crashed regularly with various tools. You think that's unreasonable? :?
hmmm...we have an almost identical HW setup. Perhaps Cubase is my problem. That said, music wise I am probably enjoying my most stable period crash-wise. The only thing that really crashes Cubase for me at the moment is a 32 bit plugin going ape in my 64 bit DAW. I also had a problem with Linplug Spectral crashing but they have now fixed that.

Is Reaper known for being rock-solid? I have no experience with it...

ps...bought Supercharger GT yesterday and have been putting it through its paces today. The presets aren't particularly useful - almost all of them create sucking unless you tweak the attack and ratio. But really nice sounding plugin so far. I am curious, however, as to how much is placebo effect due to the beautiful GUI....

Nah, I don't think........actually I KNOW it's not placebo. I was as surprised as anyone how much I like it. It's a unique plug. The freebie had some potential (with a couple of fatal flaws though) and this is a far enhanced version.

Everyone is different though, some people thought the freebie was terrific, I did not, personal opinions and all....

BTW, the freebie had a gorgeous "eye candy" front too ;)

Further impressions after a few days of use - this is definitely a compressor to use subtly for some mojo - almost anything breaks up if you try to get too man dB gain reduction. Seems to work best on drum loops for me.

Supercharger GT is an absolutely great sounding compressor. But
it's hard to adjust controls using a trackball. That really bothers me.
As far as I know, there is no way to calibrate the controls
in terms of sensitivity.

The corner frequencies for the highpass are in my opinion not very well
chosen. I'd rather have frequencies like 30hz and 60hz available. Otherwise
it forces me to use an extra plugin on the paralell drum aux, which I usually
try to avoid because of phase issues. I'm also not a fan of cutting each and
every drum on the aux with a highpass, that's why I have no use for the
dry/wet control on an aux. But, of course, that's just my personal preference.
I guess many people are very satisfied with the available corner frequencies.

Besides those "issues", NI seems to have done their homework
looking at the latest product range.

Burillo wrote:i experience a few crashes every now and then, but REAPER has a lot of options to prevent crashes. recently, Melodyne essential started crashing on me. solution - run it in a dedicated process. works like a charm. and there are other options to prevent crashes that you can try as well.
I have had very few issues with Reaper crashing, and most of the time it has, it's been my belief that it was a plugin doing it. I was having some MAJOR issues with EZDrummer a while ago, no idea how it finally cleared up, but I had to uninstall and reinstall it like a million times. No issues since tho.

Ableton on the other hand, which I LOVED, was shit for third party plugins, I switched off it completely to Reaper when I could barely run anything third party without a crash.

That's odd. For about 18 months now I've been running live with gobs of 3rd party stuff w/o hardly any issue.

However, the crash I had twice with supercharger has not occurred again and I use it on almost everything now.

hibidy wrote:That's odd. For about 18 months now I've been running live with gobs of 3rd party stuff w/o hardly any issue.

However, the crash I had twice with supercharger has not occurred again and I use it on almost everything now.
Lucky. I ended up using all the stock ableton stuff, which was fine cause I liked it all, but still sucked not being able to use my other stuff without risking a crash

Crashes live 9.1.1 on a Mac consistently. Not worth the hassle of demoing. Live has been fairly solid for me and unusual for NI plugs to crash TBH
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Oh wow, how weird. I hope you send the crash reports as I've had a couple (though not that bad)

hibidy wrote:Oh wow, how weird. I hope you send the crash reports as I've had a couple (though not that bad)
Crashed within a minute of inserting it, was shown to be the culprit in the crash log. I just uninstalled it, I really dont have the time to be messing about . Sounded good, saved me the money I would have undoubtedly spent on it with GAS :D
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I understand, but there is no way they can get to the bottom of it w/o the reports.

Sorry it didn't work out.

After demoing for about 30 minutes, i've upgraded. This comp sounds so good on kicks. I mean, before i had to put 6-8 plugins on kick channel to get somwhere similar results. Now 2 plugins are enough. Essential for Experimental electronic music. Kudos to NI.

Now with a 50% off on the upgrade price, 24.5$ for the GT version. Nice.
It's easy if you know how

Return to “Effects”