Filterfreak vs The Drop

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FilterFreak The Drop

I just ordered an ilok, so I'll be able to demo Filterfreak soon. Until then, I'd like to hear what your thoughts are on these two plugs.

From what I've seen, most people find The Drop superior, which isn't surprising. But how much better is it? Is it worth the money if you already have Filterfreak?

I'm set on getting Echoboy, Decapitator, and a filter plug. Echoboy + Decap + The Drop would be about $400. But the entire Soundtoys native bundle is also around $400. Not sure what I'll end up doing at this point...

Get the Soundtoys bundle first then get the drop and glue later. Well this is what I would do if i had the funds for the Soundtoys bundle.
:borg:

I use the sound toys stuff all the time. The drop sounds great but the CPU is super high, on the mac beta anyway.

I would say The Drop is better but if I was in your position I would just get the Soundtoys bundle. Some of the other plugins are great too like PhaseMistress and Tremelator are great too. The whole bundle is actually great value once you break it down.

You can always save and pick up the Drop in a few weeks/months as it's relatively cheap.
Deep N' Dusty House Grooves !!!
Artist: http://soundcloud.com/nigel
Label: http://soundcloud.com/diplopiarecords

Thanks for the replies. I'll do the 30 day demo just to make sure, but it looks like I'll end up going for the bundle.

Aubrey Lamont wrote: From what I've seen, most people find The Drop superior, which isn't surprising. But how much better is it? Is it worth the money if you already have Filterfreak?
I wouldn't say that The Drop is "superior", just a different flavor of excellent.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

The Drop has the best "modeling " and variety of numerous filters (when its finished , and that should be soon, its still in beta) and a CPU hit to achieve that. The best is subjective, sometimes you don't need that fidelity. The Soundtoys bundle is a must have IMO and Filter freak is a great filter.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Filter Freak is good. In fact, anything by Soundtoys is great.

But Filter Freak vs The Drop - the Drop easily wins in my opinion.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

The Drop.

The SoundToys plugins I would get are Echoboy, Crystallizer, Microshift, and Radiator. I'll get them if they change the copy protection on all of their plugins as they did with Microshift. When I used to have the bundle, I preferred Echoboy over Decapitator. I when you adjust the parameters so you're just using the saturation it does the same thing, except it sounds more pleasing. I find Decapitator to sound somewhat harsh.

I don't really see the point in their other plugins. I'd rather do panning with automation, there are better alternatives for things like phasing ect...
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:The Drop.

The SoundToys plugins I would get are Echoboy, Crystallizer, Microshift, and Radiator. I'll get them if they change the copy protection on all of their plugins as they did with Microshift. When I used to have the bundle, I preferred Echoboy over Decapitator. I when you adjust the parameters so you're just using the saturation it does the same thing, except it sounds more pleasing. I find Decapitator to sound somewhat harsh.

I don't really see the point in their other plugins. I'd rather do panning with automation, there are better alternatives for things like phasing ect...
Crystallizer looks interesting, but I can't imagine it being a "go-to" effect. I'll test it later today. Speed looks like a really useful tool though.

As for Decapitator, I'm looking for a "harsh" saturator (that still sounds analog) for a track I'm working on.

Radiator looks good as well. I'm going to demo it against Wave Arts Tube Saturator sometime this weekend.

The Speed algorithms are really not much better than what comes with any major DAW. I've never actually had the chance to demo Radiator and have just had to judge from the Youtube demo. I would say Tube Saturator is the same idea and quality, but Radiator is just a different sound... more vintage, while TS sounds modern. I'd also say that ArtsAcoustics CL1 is probably the closest sounding to Radiator when used as a preamp driving the input and output. For Crystallizer, Psychedelay in Guitar Rig is a very good alternative.

So the plugins I picked from the SoundToys options are simply what I think are still worthy for consideration and my experience, not that there aren't any great alternatives. I'm guessing UberMod or Waves Doubler might be a perfect alternative for Microshift. Still trying to form an opinion on that one. If that's the case, I guess that leaves Echoboy as the only ST plugin without a true replacement for me.

EDIT:

Just tried Microshift and Ubermod and it replicates Microshift perfectly.

<ValhallaUberMod pluginVersion="1.0.2" presetName="MicroDouble" Mix="1" Depth="1" StereoWidth="0.5" Delay="0.0232999995" Feedback="0" Spread="0.5" Slope="0.5" Skew="0.5" Random="0" TapGain="0.5" Diffusion="0.5" DiffSize="0.0204081628" DiffModRate="0.0490490496" DiffModDepth="0.5" LowCut="0" HighCut="1" SpatialXover="0.145728648" DetuneRate="0.0490490496" DetuneDepth="0.5" VibratoRate="0.298245579" VibratoDepth="0" OverMod="0" DriveInGain="0.25" DriveOutGain="0.75" DriveNoiseGain="0" FeedbackRotate="0.5" SmoothingTime="0.0990990996" ColorMode="0" DelaySync="0" type="0.0416666679" DiffEnable="0" Drive="1" DrivePrePost="0" Speed="0" InputPan="0.125"/>

djanthonyw wrote:Just tried Microshift and Ubermod and it replicates Microshift perfectly.
Nicely done! I'd turn off the Drive to make it cleaner. I find the Microshift is a tad more transparent, smoother and a little less phasey sounding (try high strings) even 100% wet, and of course benefits from the crossover at the input but that can be bolted on. Thanks for posting this. It's really very close.

Thanks, I can't take credit for it though. I found it from here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=31

djanthonyw wrote:The Speed algorithms are really not much better than what comes with any major DAW. I've never actually had the chance to demo Radiator and have just had to judge from the Youtube demo. I would say Tube Saturator is the same idea and quality, but Radiator is just a different sound... more vintage, while TS sounds modern. I'd also say that ArtsAcoustics CL1 is probably the closest sounding to Radiator when used as a preamp driving the input and output. For Crystallizer, Psychedelay in Guitar Rig is a very good alternative.

So the plugins I picked from the SoundToys options are simply what I think are still worthy for consideration and my experience, not that there aren't any great alternatives. I'm guessing UberMod or Waves Doubler might be a perfect alternative for Microshift. Still trying to form an opinion on that one. If that's the case, I guess that leaves Echoboy as the only ST plugin without a true replacement for me.
Thanks for your feedback!

I'm not so much impressed with the complete Soundtoys Bundle... Echoboy is still a bit the king of delays but the other plug-ins... Instead of Filterfreak there is also the new Metafilter by Waves which is also very useful for creative filter effects while The Drop is IMO a bit limited in this department (it's more focused to be a good emulation IMO).

Return to “Effects”