Best Compressor Plugins in 2014?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why no love Voxengo?
My favourite comps are the stock Cubase ones, DC8C2 and the emulations from my Liquid Mix.
I really don't need more that this.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Karten wrote:Why no love Voxengo?

I thought it was more, what are you using that's been updated for 2014 - I thought I remembered DC8C getting an update in 2014, and I know IKMM and LVC Audio updated in 2014. I threw TDR Feedback Compressor II in there because everyone ought to try it, it's free and really quite amazing :)

But yeah I will definitely show Voxengo some love, I use three Voxengo plugins regularly from the commercial lineup (and sporadically toss freebies on, too, but not as often):

Voxengo GlissEQ (it has some compression-like behavior in the dynamic EQing, I really like this because it keeps me from overdoing EQ in a way that's pleasant to listen to but is also extraordinarily tweakable)
Voxengo Deft Compressor (magic for vocals, imo, sigmoid curve sounds great - also good when working with multiple guitars in stereo)
Voxengo Voxformer (also magic for vocals? Magic-er for vocals, since it's a whole channel strip dedicated to 'em!)

They're great, reliable tools that do unique and awesome things involving compression. And also expansion, and saturation in at least one case, and...

Hm. Sorry, is this just for 2014 or is this like "post your favorite comps that are still relevant to your workflow, regardless of when they last saw attention from the developer!" - because if that's it I need to expand the crap out of my list.

george [GTPS] wrote:Hey guys

We just posted a new, epic list of what we think are the best 45 compressor plugins available.
Another "epic list" that has a focus on Waves plugins.

Also with a certain "diss" towards freeware. I mean, what the heck was that comment for?
A Note on Free Compressors

When it comes to free compressor plugins we’re really spoilt for choice but there are a few which really stand out – all of them present in our list here. Again, compressor choice is so subjective – you may very well find your favourite sound is from a freeware compressor rather than a higher-end emulation. It’s horses for courses, and a lot depends on what styles of music you’re producing and what specific sound you’re after.
There are so many compressors on the market these days, free and commercial, that you can basically sit there and be like "what should I go for? What do I need? Which characteristic?". Not just plain hardware emulation. But the focus of this list is mainly "this", rather than technical compression (with rare exceptions - like DMG Audio).

You also used several "reinterpretations" of the same gear in the listing. Most notably the 1176 and LA2A - as if there is nothing else on the market!

I also miss in this list, stuff like:
- Tokyo Dawn Labs (Feeback Comp - a lot of the listed comps are feedback in design, why not this "clean" one?!)
- Melda Production (!, excellent technical designs)
- Cockos ReaPlugs (one of the rare comps that can be switched from feed forward to feedback, but unfortunately doesn't work on every rig)
- I miss Nomad Factory on that list (the NEVE compressor for example, but you have URS and Neve/Portico in there)
- I also miss Focusrite on that list (the Slate RED3 clone sounds significantly different than the Focusrite Midgnight! But you do at least have DMG Audio's Compassion in here)
- SKnote is not on that list
- And dare I even say UAD, or other DSP/Nebula creations.
- Voxengo is also sadly missed (not my cup of tea, but others like that company).

So yet another biased list with suposedly the "Best Compressor Plugins In The World". However it was more of a rundown of "what's out there - with focus on Waves" at best.

Though I am surprised that Klanghelm and DMG Audio was on that list.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox, imo that was actually a very nice thing to say about freeware compressors. If you look at what they said, it's:

1. There are a ton of freeware compressors, but some of them are especially good (and so they're on this list)

2. We know that this topic is subjective, and it's entirely possible that you will prefer a freeware compressor to an expensive commercial compressor

To me, that is not a diss at all, it's a compliment! I don't see how one could argue that there aren't just a ton of free plugins available, I have 15 in my "Compressors" folder and that doesn't even include anything in the GVST suite (there are at least two there), anything from the Classic series from Kjaerhus, any Antres compressors, anything Bootsie made, or any other collections because I have a different folder in my freeware library specifically for collections of plugins by the same author or group :)

We ARE spoiled for choices, and some of them really DO stand out as being excellent. Some of them are so good that in some cases, depending on what you want to do, you will prefer a freeware option to a commercial option. That's all very nice things to say about freeware, especially when some of the compressors listed cost three figures :)

It doesn't address your other criticisms but I think maybe this was a case of possible misunderstanding?

Nice roundup. A couple of things:

1. AFAIK, all the NI comps are now available as standalone vst plugs. Your overview indicates that they have to be opened in Guitar Rig.

2. In a thumbnail description, it would be nice to actually have the prices listed, as well as x32/x64 information.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

db112 - Blue Compressor is still my best. Second VOS - ThrillseekerVBL.

Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Last one I bought was the Hornet Multicomp. I dig it. The multiple modes means I can use it for nearly everything. Great 'swiss army knife'

VBC, UAD LA2Av2 and 1176v2, DC8Cv2, Waves API (old but still can work wonders if used on right material)

Melda all the way.

Really liking the Waves http://www.waves.com/plugins/c1-compressor

Got it for a tenner, so don't believe the hype. Nice though.

Klanghelm: A kings Compressor. Just find it hard to dial in quickly on the go. Just me though, suppose.

Love my Focusrite Scarlett compressor. Meaty beaty big and bouncy.

Stillwell's Rocket. Never bettered on drums unt bass.

Voxengo. Crunchessor. On nearly everything. Especially drums.

Deft. For when nothing else will do, but total transparency.

The Waves is good. It's probably all you need most of the time, when you need that type of compression. Which is all you need most of the time.

I've got to say though. Crunchessor probably gets the most use, is the most versatile and the most quickly effective. Voxengo Rocks!

To elaborate:

You wouldn't choose Deft over Crunchessor as your first compressor.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/crunchessor/

Though you could use either one as your main compressor, depending on what you wanted to do.

You could use either of them in multiband setup:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=405525

Deft is harder to dial in. But you'd never know it was there, once you did.

Crunchessor. Tasty!

Not many compressors have eight inputs for a four band multiband stereo input.

Just thought I would mention it.

:-)

Lots of Voxengo love here..

"Deft is harder to dial in. But you'd never know it was there, once you did."

That is an excellent description of it - and not in a "why am I paying for this, if it isn't doing anything??" way, I mean it does its job so, so well once you get it dialed in that it doesn't sound like anything is even going on, just, effortless.

Nice post(s) ;)

The one in OhmStudio blew me away. I don't have too much experience with good and bad compressors though.

For me the Glue, Vari-comp and lately been trying out the Pro-C again and it's quite impressive.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Return to “Effects”