Best Compressor Plugins in 2014?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys

We just posted a new, epic list of what we think are the best 45 compressor plugins available.

Hopefully peeps will find it useful; would love to get your suggestions, comments, and generally find out how much consensus there is these days in terms of different producers compression choices :)

Putting this list together was super-fun and made me realise how many great options there are now - but if you had to choose just one compressor for your setup, which would it be? And how much of a difference would the limitation make?

I for one quite often start tracks with quite specific self-imposed restrictions like this, just to make sure I get stuff done!
“The height of cultivation runs to simplicity.” – Bruce Lee
http://www.getthatprosound.com

Big list! These are always a useful reference. I believe FG-X is still only 32 bit on my Mac though, unless I missed the memo. Might want to correct that.

Thanks for putting this together.

At the moment it's Klanghelm DC8C and The Glue (in Live 9) that get the most use. I love how DC8C sounds on vpcals and acoustic guitars.

audientronic wrote:I believe FG-X is still only 32 bit on my Mac though
You're right - although the VST and AU versions will still work on Intel 64-bit Macs :) Thanks for pointing it out, I'll make the distinction a bit clearer in the post.
“The height of cultivation runs to simplicity.” – Bruce Lee
http://www.getthatprosound.com

I'm not afraid of saying that I still use the internal comp of Logic.
Anechoic Chamber Screaming :o

Timman wrote:I'm not afraid of saying that I still use the internal comp of Logic.
+1 to that, as well as Cytomic The Glue, Waves Ren Comp, and Waves H-Comp

For me, it depends on what I am trying to achieve each time I use a compressor. However my go-to compressors at the moment are -

Slate VBC
NI Solid Bus Comp
Softube TLA
Elysia Alpha

I like The Glue also but I have a weird problem where it randomly goes bezerk and emits a deafening squeal unless I remove the instance and put a new instance in - almost killing my ears in the process. So I don't use it anymore.

If I had to pick just one it would be Compassion, no doubt.

After that maybe klanghelm

Still finding ArtsAcoustic CL Series great for most material, also Softube's FET Compressor is great for transparent track compression.

I get a lot of use out of the T-RackS CS set of character compressors for their various jobs. LOVE their Fairchild 670 and 1176LN emulations, as well as their LA2A and I'm learning how to use the SSL emulations as well. Really good stuff, glad I finally completed the set. The recent engine update to their saturation behavior at extremes has been well worth getting acquainted with, it's a very substantial improvement, especially for the console strip emulations. In my view, of course.

I also get a lot of use out of Klanghelm DC8C2, and also, more recently, LVC Audio's ClipShifter 2 licensed version for multi-band clipping/compression/limiting. It's very good.

I keep wanting to try The Glue, I mean you never hear anything bad about it, but I haven't had an opportunity to do so.

Oh, I was only recently introduced to the TDR Feedback Compressor II, and it is absolutely amazing. I have no idea how such a great tool is free! I don't know or even really care when it was made, I am just glad I got turned onto it. Stereo bus magic, for real.

My favorite "Go To" compressors that I have been using for a while are Cytomic The Glue (on anything) and Stillwell Rocket (drums). I have been comparing many of my comps these days figuring out which are my faves out of the ones that I have acquired.

On a side note, I don't get the Dbx160 thing. Seems it was the creme de la creme for drums and added punch, but when it comes to punch I find 1176 emulations do a much better job, and they are snappier. Things can start chocking up pretty quickly with the NI VC160, and the drums seem to loose life when the compression is fast reacting. I have Rocket, the Ik Black76 and NI's VC76, and the Rocket is still the winner for me for punch and snap on drums.

I recently started using IK Multimedia's Precision Comp and Bus comp as well as NI's solid bus comp. Really good stuff.

I really like the free Audio Damage Rough Rider compressor on individual drums (missing from your list).

I have to figure out which LA2A comp I like best. I have the IK white one and the NI one.

I still have to play with the NI Varicomp but I hear it's great.

I demoed DC8C2 a while bak and loved it. Bought it.

Rcomp is really nice. RComp just always works in nice ways.

I should use Maximus more as a MMultiband compressor...

As far as freeware, TDR Feedback comp, NastyVBL, Thrillseeker LA, Density MKIII, Rough Rider, really good stuff.

I would want Compassion one day as well but have plenty to get by in the meantime..
Play it by ear

HoRNet Multicomp should get more love.

My first choice is MeldaProduction MDynamic.
Not a fancy gui but very versatile and useful tool for dynamic control.

Second place would go to TDR Feedback Compressor or MDynamicEqualizer if that fit to this category.

I've really like compassion but i can't seem to have a track without Cytomic the glue ending up on it somewhere.
:borg:

I tend to use the updated Cubendo Vintage Comp a lot. :) Having it on every channel with visual feedback in the mixer is great. And for clean compression there is nothing wrong with the standard comp as well.
For color if needed CL1B.

Return to “Effects”