Sonimus Britson - out now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Britson

what's wrong with iPlug?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:what's wrong with iPlug?
Nothing at all, for 99% of people :lol:

For me, every single plugin made in that framework will lock the DAW after closing and opening the GUI a few times. Makes me dislike the framework, even though indie developers love it.

So I have to research devs just to see if they used iplug, then avoid. Then envy everyone, when the plugins are universally praised :(

I just keep mentioning it in the vain hope Oli and the iplug chaps will say "we found and fixed that rare bug". I even read a thread on reaper forums where Oli discussed rewriting the graphics code. One day...

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread. I bet this Britson is another winner. I love Sonimus filters, and the saturation is usually very smooth. If they improved upon their work, then I'm very jealous of you guys.

You guys have got the wrong attitude

:hihi:

I don't know if this will be any better than satson (which I already have) but at the price of admission, it's pretty difficult for me to get to caught up in some of the details being said here. Fair enough for the opposition but I'd like this kinda stuff personally.

Compyfox wrote:But for funks sake, I don't get the hype!
And I definitely don't get why it always has to be NEVE or SSL.
I like Satson for what it is, a light, easy-to-use console emulator that I can use on my little laptop when I don't want to drag my iLok around and don't have a lot of processing power, but it's quite far from sounding like an SSL. Still, those qualities are important enough for me to spend $39 on Britson.

Yeah, Satson absolutely shines when you need a console plugin on many channels because it is lightweight both memory and CPU-wise. To me, Klanghelm IVGI and SDRR sound better, but they use 4x [IVGI, SDRR up to 8xCPU] the CPU, not to mention that Satson can use even less CPU, almost half CPU usage, in mono mode and Klanghelm plugins don't recognise mono input [for me in Reaper, at least], so Klanghelm plugins are just better suited for busses.

Note: I checked Klanghelm IVGI CPU usage in Podium and in mono mode it uses almost half the CPU less. Good, so it is Reaper to blame for CPU usage not going down in mono mode.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Compyfox, one word brother... decaf!

If you don't use stimulants, legal or otherwise, sedatives of some sort might be the ticket.

Neves and SSLs are what make the hits and what most people know about.

Plus, you need to have access and inclination to model a console.

This is all an easy aside for me though, because I actually like pristine sound, but with the occasional color choice.

Anyway, there are lots of console brands.

I'd like to see some others modeled, as well... Amek, as one example.

We currently use a combination of ITB, SSL superanalogue hardware (X-Desk/X-Rack) for front-end and summing, and various other analog pieces ranging from IC-based to transformer/discrete (currently need some tubes, though).

I can and have made lots of recordings that I and others like with all kinds of gear from world-class to cheap crap.

The difference between the former and the latter is just icing on the cake, and the best cakes don't really need any icing.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

DuX wrote:Yeah, Satson absolutely shines when you need a console plugin on many channels because it is lightweight both memory and CPU-wise. To me, Klanghelm IVGI and SDRR sound better, but they use 4x [IVGI, SDRR up to 8xCPU] the CPU, not to mention that Satson can use even less CPU, almost half CPU usage, in mono mode and Klanghelm plugins don't recognise mono input [for me in Reaper, at least], so Klanghelm plugins are just better suited for busses.

Note: I checked Klanghelm IVGI CPU usage in Podium and in mono mode it uses almost half the CPU less. Good, so it is Reaper to blame for CPU usage not going down in mono mode.
that's because REAPER doesn't have mono tracks.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:that's because REAPER doesn't have mono tracks.
Yes and no. With some plugins it works by rearranging the in/out pins for mono, but not with Klanghelm IVGI. I guess if Reaper somehow forced the plugins to recognise there's only one channel [true mono track instead of double mono] more of the plugins would work in mono and use less CPU. This is actually one of my main "niggles" [more like a really big problem] with Reaper... I'd really like to have mono tracks and mono meters, too.

Sorry for the OT, guys.

Edit: actually I solved the problem with mono-pinned plugins not using less CPU after some research. There is an option in the FX browser called "inform plugin of channel count changes" that you have to turn on for IVGI and Satson to work correctly. You get this and the various other options when you press the FX with the right mouse button... If you ask me this is ridiculous and should be on by default. Only the plugins that by nature cannot work in mono should have this tuned off for whatever reason. Gosh.
Last edited by DuX on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:I actually agree with you Compy. All good points. ;)

Especially about them not providing a demo option of any kind. That's just ridiculous, completely. Even the ridiculously overpriced "companies" give you an option to at least demo their excrement [to put it "KVR refined"].
Well I am late to the party here, and get the feeling Compy is acting like kind of a D-bag not really noticing previous threads but my initial impression. I don't think I would engage this long or in this manner seems like a waste of bandwidth and a pity to have to sort through all this back and forth when I am checking out a thread of a new product. As for demos, yeah there are plenty of other Dev's demos, lets take Satin for example. How the hell can your really demo something that cuts out or hisses so frequently? Same applies to many other demos. But look at CP with so many plug-ins. very obtrusive. I have Satson and it does get used and inexpensive on the wallet and Cpu. Install a breeze. Don't know if I want Britson or not, but I'll keep my eye out.

Here we have the typical "Mr. I am always right and I am so important" again....

rasmusklump wrote:Here we have the typical "Mr. I am always right and I am so important" again....
Who could you _possibly_ mean..?

audiosabre wrote:For me, every single plugin made in that framework will lock the DAW after closing and opening the GUI a few times. Makes me dislike the framework, even though indie developers love it.
Do you have Wavelab by chance? If there are VST3 versions of plugins coded with the iPlug framework that don't render... this might actually help me in terms of bugreporting for companies I betatest for. If so, please throw me a PM.

Uncle E wrote:
Compyfox wrote:But for funks sake, I don't get the hype!
And I definitely don't get why it always has to be NEVE or SSL.
I like Satson for what it is, a light, easy-to-use console emulator that I can use on my little laptop when I don't want to drag my iLok around and don't have a lot of processing power, but it's quite far from sounding like an SSL. Still, those qualities are important enough for me to spend $39 on Britson.
I definitely don't disregard that. Other people like StripBus or even Terry West's "SATURN" for exactly that purpose. Well... maybe also MelloMuse (which also offers a console type emulation set) or anything else that doesn't come with USB keys.

Porting Neve, SSL, Teletronix/Urei/Universal Audio and "the" Pultec however, is definitely overused in my opinion. And this is all I critisized in here in the first place. Everything else came up all by itself.

antithesist wrote:Neves and SSLs are what make the hits and what most people know about.
I'm not commenting on the decaf part. However, I can't disagree more with the fact that "Neve's and SSL's" make hits. Hits these days are made from creative minds. With outstanding tools at our fingertips - on the computer. I saw a "making off" by the band "Meshuggah" yesterday, and they summed it up pretty much in one sentence "demos sound better than the actual CD these days".

You even summed it up yourself:
antithesist wrote:I can and have made lots of recordings that I and others like with all kinds of gear from world-class to cheap crap.

The difference between the former and the latter is just icing on the cake, and the best cakes don't really need any icing.
Else.. yes... you are right, NEVE and SSL are the most known consoles on the market. And pretty much everyone's eyes start to sparkle if you say "okay... I used a NEVE/SSL on this production". It's the same (IMO) bollocks as with a certain userbase (some sworn in engineers, and mostly the "newbies") who still insist that you're worth crap as engineer if you don't use ProTools or any Waves plugins.

Been there...

Still my critism towards constantly riding the bandwagon rather than taking a risk with a not so well known console remains.

antithesist wrote:Plus, you need to have access and inclination to model a console.
Agreed. Though I personally think that not as well known consoles are easier accessible than NEVE or SSL. Unless you happen to have one of those in your studio already, or know studio users that "have" that kind of console.

antithesist wrote:Anyway, there are lots of console brands.

I'd like to see some others modeled, as well... Amek, as one example.
And there goes another user that thinks alike. Thanks.

whitecloud wrote:Well I am late to the party here, and get the feeling Compy is acting like kind of a D-bag not really noticing previous threads but my initial impression. I don't think I would engage this long or in this manner seems like a waste of bandwidth and a pity to have to sort through all this back and forth when I am checking out a thread of a new product.
Again, sorry for thinking "different" on such topics. There is a nice function on KVR, where you can "gate" the noise if you want... so to speak.

whitecloud wrote:As for demos, yeah there are plenty of other Dev's demos, lets take Satin for example. How the hell can your really demo something that cuts out or hisses so frequently?
Don't know about you, but I used the demo (SATIN). Even found a bug while demoing it (which got fixed in the beta demo stage short before the release) and I could live with the noise. With other plugins I do have issues in terms of fade outs (Eareckon comes to mind).

But in this particular example - we don't have a demo (yet).

samsam wrote:
rasmusklump wrote:Here we have the typical "Mr. I am always right and I am so important" again....
Who could you _possibly_ mean..?
By this particular post, it is obviously stabbed towards me. And actually... I don't care. Because I'm still not critisizing the plugin (it's not released yet), even though I do critisize the lack of a demo (existing for-sale plugins) and the lack of info for a money-back guarantee.

It's definitely hard to read further than two paragraphs after a certain user name popped up. I can totally relate. :tu:

The only person that acted as "Mr. I am always right and I am so important" so far, was Mercado_Negro with his comment (and personal opinion!), that this plugin blows everything else out of the water yet again.

And here, in this particular example, I really don't understand the fanboyism and blind devotion for a developer or +1'ing comments by beta testers. Especially for something that you can't even test yourself unless you shelled out some money first. I can understand it for VoS - here you get hyped as well, but you currently still don't have to pay a dime (and people are going nuts with the joint venture of VoS and TDL!). In terms of Klanghelm, you at least get a free "lite" version of a tool. In terms of SKnote, a "no questions asked" money back guarantee. The big companies... a demo version.

But it's easiler to up the postcount just to comment that a user is obviously a douche (which is definitely considerate!), acts like a wisenheimer and yet again talks out of his rear end. Neither am I surprised that "non as active users" with low post counts crawl out of their corners, just to comment on that "negative additude".

That's KVR Audio at it's best. :shrug:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Wow... That's a long post (which I wasn't arsed reading).

March the 18th is in four days away, and I have money to throw at them. :D
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:Wow... That's a long post (which I wasn't arsed reading).
Not directed at you, don't worry.

Robmobius wrote:March the 18th is in four days away, and I have money to throw at them. :D
Without demoing it first? (if it's even possible to demo)
Man... you folks to have too much spare money.

clintmartin wrote:Image
A GUI picture... telling us what?
(see first post, where the GUI is shown, which looks better than his btw)

That seems to be Sonar however. Does that mean "you" have access to a demo? A little bit more "info" than just plain one-liners would be greatly appreciated.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Effects”