Sonimus Britson - out now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Britson

Uncle E wrote:
itneveris wrote:No, unless you need the CPU. This is probably the only reason I bought this, but I'm glad I did.
+1. If I could run 48 API Visions (along with all the other UAD plugins I use), I probably wouldn't use Satson.
What UAD card do you own to get 48 API visions :o
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:What UAD card do you own to get 48 API visions :o
Ed Zachary. ;)

Seriously, though, 2 OCTO's can do it.

bmanic wrote:It could also be used to learn synth programming and to hear small nuances.. actually somebody had a kickstarter for an application with some kind of synth training features. Forgot the name of that thing but it looked really promising although a bit too simplistic for synthesis veterans.
http://www.syntorial.com/ ..nice but $130 is to expensive for that stuff imho. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
bmanic wrote:It could also be used to learn synth programming and to hear small nuances.. actually somebody had a kickstarter for an application with some kind of synth training features. Forgot the name of that thing but it looked really promising although a bit too simplistic for synthesis veterans.
http://www.syntorial.com/ ..nice but $130 is to expensive for that stuff imho. :)
Agree, much too expensive.

murnau wrote:
That's the one! Yeah, 130$ is a bit steep indeed but if I'd be starting out learning to program synths I think it would be well worth the investment. With over 20 years of synth programming experience behind me it's a way too expensive curiosity at this point in time.

.. but yeah, I like the idea and the implementation, at least judging by the video, seems to be top notch!

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I like the idea of syntorial but i wish they made it as a modular synthesizer instead..
:borg:

Does anyone can say what benefits can give Britson in electronic music. Any benefits at all?

bmanic wrote:Here's a little groove as a Britson test. It consists of 4 instruments and I think it was 7 drum sounds (kick double layer and snare double layer). Each and every sound has a Britson Channel on it without using any of the filters.

All the drums go to a drumbus and that one has a Britson Bus on it and all the instruments go to an instrument bus where another instance of Britson is inserted.

Finally on the master I have yet another instance of Britson Bus. In total there are thus 11 Britson Channels and 3 Britson Bus plugins inserted. I've tried to volume match things as well as possible.. it's not easy because Britson is a bit on the hotter side, depending on how you drive it.

Anyhow, this should give a pretty good idea of the slightly "fluffy" sound of Britson. It makes slightly edgy and harsh sounds a bit more mellow in a fairly pleasant way but I do think it easily gets a bit "clogged up", in a way that doesn't happen with Slate VCC models nor with the various console programs from AlexB for Nebula (these are in a league of their own IMHO when it comes to how "open" they sound).

All instances of Britson OFF - 48kHz 16bit wav

All instances of Britson ON - 48kHz 16bit wav

NOTE!!: I don't think this was optimal to insert Britson on every single track but I wanted to demonstrate the differences. I think it would sound better without Britson Bus plugins on both the master and the instrument bus because they seem to be congesting things a bit. I also noticed that I especially like Britson on all kinds of hihats and cymbals.. they get something really pleasant added to them and they get nicely placed in the stereo field.. kind of like they "pop out" a bit. Very nice indeed.

Cheers!
bManic
Ah, here is the answer to my question above. Don't need that plugin. The difference between samples is so little and unimportant.

Igro wrote:Does anyone can say what benefits can give Britson in electronic music. Any benefits at all?
The added harmonics of saturation / drive / distortion, is the foundation of many signature sounds across all genre of electronic music, across the decades.

It's part of the bite and growl used before and/or after a TB-303 bass in early (and modern) Acid Trance.

It's the fuzzy, warm character for the bass in much of Daft Punk's Tron soundtrack.

It's the character sound of a euro hands-up / hardstyle kick.

Tuned, with a kick, it can make the current bass / kick combo sound that has invaded almost every 128 - 131bpm song on Beatport's top charts (so much that it's ridiculed). Some of these chart-toppers are for sure using the technique for all or part of the effect.

It's a major ingredient for that pumping, sidechained buzzy saw sound in electro trance.

It's the soft, round, fuzzy distorted sound used on leads in electro and progressive house.

It adds snap and pop to snares and allows them to be lower in volume, but still cut through the mix.

it can add top-crunch and click to a kick drum. this can be used to glue a kick and snare to get that signature, modern house sound where the kick and snare hits sound unified on the 2 and 4.

It's used across entire mixes to provide glue and warmth, just like with any other music genre.

It's used to tame dynamics as an alternative to compression / limiting. It can be used as part of limiter chain.

It's used as an exciter to boost perceived volume, provide definition or a more 3d soundstage.

It can be a problem solver and breath life into a sterile or dull sound.

It's used as an eq alternative to add brightness and/or warmth to a sound.

The benefits and uses in electronic music are endless and enjoy a long heritage since the very beginning of electronic music.

itneveris wrote:
lacandon wrote:Interesting plugin but do i need it if have strip bus,slate vcc and api vision?0
No, unless you need the CPU. This is probably the only reason I bought this, but I'm glad I did.

I love Strip, but I almost can get lost in it. SO MANY CONTROLS, which I love, but I almost prefer a simpler, set and forget type at this point. And Strip seems to be eating my CPU like the cookie monster.
Stripbus 3 it will be more useful i prefer its sound from APi Vision witch for some reason to me sounds a bit strange the eq mostly (sounds very processed) the comp it's very nice and the preamp !
Yea Quintos plugins are big hogs i use them there and there i don't use strip bus as supposed on all channels because it's very coloured just when i need more air or clarity ..I like Slate VCC Trident its very transparent to put on more channels .. I may try Britson i like what this console plugins does more then what tape emulations does..

Uhh, thank you for the complete answer, jalcide!

jalcide wrote:The added harmonics of saturation / drive / distortion, is the foundation of many signature sounds across all genre of electronic music, across the decades.

It's part of the bite and growl used before and/or after a TB-303 bass in early (and modern) Acid Trance.

It's the fuzzy, warm character for the bass in much of Daft Punk's Tron soundtrack.
Does Britson itself have these sound qualities? I didn't hear any of that from the examples that have been posted and I don't hear any of that from Satson (which I own).

Indeed it does. If you enable Gain Compensation and increase the fader until warm, lovely drive ensues. Use the x2 and/or Fat button if needed.

It's kinda my favorite "distortion box" right now. The new IK 81, as well.

jalcide wrote:Indeed it does. If you enable Gain Compensation and increase the fader until warm, lovely drive ensues. Use the x2 and/or Fat button if needed.

Interesting! So it's better than Satson in this regard?

Uncle E wrote:
jalcide wrote:Indeed it does. If you enable Gain Compensation and increase the fader until warm, lovely drive ensues. Use the x2 and/or Fat button if needed.

Interesting! So it's better than Satson in this regard?
Yes, I just tested it against Satson and it's quite different. Satson can be coaxed into distortion by using a combination of its Gain Compensation (back panel), the Gain knob and putting a gain plugin before it so that its inputs can be driven hot. A kick drum, for example, will go from normal to a low-mid sounding distortion, with not as much upper-mids or highs being excited. Almost the round, chubby sound a tuba makes during its attack, if that makes any sense.

Britson can get there without additional gain staging by just slamming the fader up and it goes way past, in its model, what Satson will allow for abuse. When pushed, the upper-mids have additional harmonics that seem to go from rounded to buzzy to resonant and complex as the fader is pushed. The harmonics and modelling seems to "sweep" upwards, with resonant tones, across the spectrum (as the fader is raised).

The sound / behavior is very non-linear with even the fader as the only variable. I imagine the non-linearities continue with input level and frequency content, as well.

It's impressive, for sure. Definitely many flavors of harmonically involving bite, growl, buzz and crunch can be had.

Return to “Effects”