PRODUCTS
Britson

Thanks for the first impressions!
Very helpful :-)

hibidy wrote:Ok,

It's stable (or seems so)
It's subtle (well, duh)
The presets are nice on the buss

The channel has something special going on with the filters (of course you all know I'm addicted to stuff with low/high pass

It's very low CPU it seems

Minimal testing of course, but certainly worth 39 bucks.
I'm just testing it on a drum buss. I like it! Especially when it's pushed a bit.

Early days, but I'm pretty pleased. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Anyone of you impulse byers in the mood to post some before/after audio examples ? :)

Compyfox wrote: To everyone that goes for this.
Happy impulse purchases, I guess. :shrug:
:lol:

Indeed! I'm one of those suckers as well. Couldn't resist. Initial impressions are good though.. but it does remind me of Satson, not directly sound wise but in the way it's definitely on the subtle side unless you really, REALLY crank it. The filters, as been mentioned before, are lovely but I wouldn't call them revolutionary.

For Satson users I don't think this is a must buy.. it's another flavor of the same idea so if you like your cake/tea/coffee subtle then you may want another flavor but otherwise I think there may be other options out there for some outboard channel color (Hornet EQ comes to mind.. similarly priced).

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Compyfox wrote:As suspected (and earlier confirmed) - no demo, and still no info on refunds.
No chance to test, no deal.

To everyone that goes for this.
Happy impulse purchases, I guess. :shrug:
Thanks A lot! - no demo? I know but I just bought it.

...just fired up my DAW, A/B/C - Britson/Satson/NLS (cueing between spike & nevo)
on a bass & guitar tracks ~ I am not sorry one bit, I am smiling from ear to ear. Dang...Satson still sounds pretty good, in comparison NLS is sounds kinda messy, has that low end that isn't very focused, not very articulate. Britson is fabulous.

Impulse buy, indeed.

It would be cool if the thread focused on the product rather than one broken-record non-user, no?

A few versions of the same mix using different consoles (No EQ/comp, raw tracks).

Quality: 96kHz

No_Console

Britson_Default_Flat

Satson

VCC_Brit_N

Nebula_MFC_(88RS)_Clean

Nebula_VBC_(8014)_Clean

These versions don't include vocals, sorry. We're still tracking them.

NOTE: I didn't match their loudness so please do it yourselves.

sadkin wrote:Satson still sounds pretty good, in comparison NLS is sounds kinda messy, has that low end that isn't very focused, not very articulate. Britson is fabulous.
Really? I have a thing for waves :hihi: I haven't tried NLS yet because it seems kinda confusing.

Here's a little groove as a Britson test. It consists of 4 instruments and I think it was 7 drum sounds (kick double layer and snare double layer). Each and every sound has a Britson Channel on it without using any of the filters.

All the drums go to a drumbus and that one has a Britson Bus on it and all the instruments go to an instrument bus where another instance of Britson is inserted.

Finally on the master I have yet another instance of Britson Bus. In total there are thus 11 Britson Channels and 3 Britson Bus plugins inserted. I've tried to volume match things as well as possible.. it's not easy because Britson is a bit on the hotter side, depending on how you drive it.

Anyhow, this should give a pretty good idea of the slightly "fluffy" sound of Britson. It makes slightly edgy and harsh sounds a bit more mellow in a fairly pleasant way but I do think it easily gets a bit "clogged up", in a way that doesn't happen with Slate VCC models nor with the various console programs from AlexB for Nebula (these are in a league of their own IMHO when it comes to how "open" they sound).

All instances of Britson OFF - 48kHz 16bit wav

All instances of Britson ON - 48kHz 16bit wav

NOTE!!: I don't think this was optimal to insert Britson on every single track but I wanted to demonstrate the differences. I think it would sound better without Britson Bus plugins on both the master and the instrument bus because they seem to be congesting things a bit. I also noticed that I especially like Britson on all kinds of hihats and cymbals.. they get something really pleasant added to them and they get nicely placed in the stereo field.. kind of like they "pop out" a bit. Very nice indeed.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: NOTE!!: I don't think this was optimal to insert Britson on every single track but I wanted to demonstrate the differences. I think it would sound better without Britson Bus plugins on both the master and the instrument bus because they seem to be congesting things a bit. I also noticed that I especially like Britson on all kinds of hihats and cymbals.. they get something really pleasant added to them and they get nicely placed in the stereo field.. kind of like they "pop out" a bit. Very nice indeed.

Cheers!
bManic
Thanks for your tests bmanic.

I'm testing Britson by putting it in finished mixes that are using Satson.
So far I've found that simply replacing Satson on the stereo buss with Britson is producing outcomes I like.
Then slowly replacing Satson with Britson on individual tracks and seeing if I like the results. If not, sticking with Satson.

My point is that not using Britson on every track, but using it in combination with Satson on tracks, is working for me.
Not using either on sub busses, just individual tracks and the stereo buss.

Perhaps less "fluffiness" than what you have found by having Britson on tracks, busses and the stereo buss.
cheers

Guys, thanks for the impulse reviews !
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tried on some tracks, Britson does seems to make things jump out more compare to Satson (which seems to tighten them up). Probably overdoing it right now but the sound is easy to like. Prefer to use only 1 instance of Britson bus on master vs across multiple buss though.

I like the "cheat" aspect of the the "bright" buss on the britson :hihi:

You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:Here is a test of all tracks running through Brit and Sat channels then one Brit and Sat on the master buss. This is un-mixed, taken from a mix-off you can find here:
Subtleson...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Return to “Effects”