Sonimus Britson - out now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Britson

I'm really looking forward to this. Satson ends up in most all of my projects. I'm looking forward to having another console flavor from these guys.
My band eluvia | FB | Tweets | SC | Me on ABC

Mercado_Negro wrote:Indeed, my post is missing a few lines and words. I'm not saying some of the curent tools don't make justice to the gear they're emulated from but that Sonimus did a great job here with Britson.
Since I don't monitor GS that much, I still don't know if that's "beta testing" vibe, or if there were audio demos posted. I assume the former?

Mercado_Negro wrote:...I can tell you it's pretty much there, nailed. That's of course just my opinion, as usual :)
The thing is, we're talking about a fairly old NEVE console series of the same branch: The 80xx series from the 70ies. A lot of companies built their emulations around these consoles. In this case, Britson, the 14 track version. Slate used the 48 track version of the 80xx. Waves and Nomad Factory (with their channel strip plugins) also focused on the 80xx series. Not to mention the various available Nebula add-ons, DSP solutions. Though UAD's 88RS is based upon a fairly new (last 10-15 years) design.

The only exception of this game, is the 80ies type Neve 5116 modified broadcast console in Waves NLS. Still... it's yet another NEVE. Even if I continue using NEVE type plugins/gear (the NF British EQ is my most go-to musical EQ), it saddens me that there seems to be no real variety.

Mercado_Negro wrote:Just to clarify, my post was merely intended to share my happiness about how far technology has come along, which is great for all of us.
This is nothing I critisize - I critisize the constant stab at certain gear, rather than touching other territories.

hibidy wrote:But that face, it says it all :hihi:
Is that any better? :hihi:

hibidy wrote:I dunno, considering my crazy escapades maybe I'm not one to talk but shesh, seems a bit overly involved for a 39usd plugin. I almost get the impression you've been wronged by them or something.
Again, I am not critisizing the plugin in itself. It's not even out yet, there probably won't even be a demo yet again. That is not the point.

My focus is the oversaturation of Neve and SSL gear. And there will be more in the future as well (Slate VMR for example will have lunchbox type modules of both Neve and SSL - with all bells and whistles). Maybe even Native Instruments adds a NEVE rack to complement their SSL modules.

There is really no other company worth "porting" it seems.

kmonkey wrote:Your argument would be PERFECTLY valid if these emulations you mentioned (waves, yadayada) where state of the art and last word in console emulation - but we all know they are not!
If we go by that argumentation, no software emulation has any "last word". But we're pretty darn close. Close enough to fool people, and close enough to be usable on a daily-project basis.

kmonkey wrote:So main question is why would anyone (you and i) limit themselves with the few emulations available?
Because it's basically focusing on the same gear over and over again. Granted, each hardware device that is not based upon digital circuity or properly maintenanced to sound "unified" has an own character to it. Hence the ton of emulations on the market, and hence the personal opinion by the users involved. So the variety of the "same gear" is actually good. Especially if you want to mix and match (even if the nouances are sometimes really minimal!).

But there is so much other stuff on the market that I'd love to see a port. Why does it always have to be the two big brits? Or the Teletronix/UREI/UA compressors?

Why not take a risk for a change - with consoles and gear that is not necessarily the so called "defacto standard"? Here I can only praise companies like Klanghelm, Variety of Sound and DMG Audio. They pick up ideas from yesteryear, and develop it further.

kmonkey wrote:You are acting like there is no way someone else could do it better?
Again, I'm not saying that. You are implying however that all other companies were crap so far - and still continue to pull out crap. You even hinted at that with your last paragraph (Waves and Slate), even though I personally think that these tools by both companies in question are actually leading lights on the market (IMO!), while I think that other companies (NI comes to mind, even though "Softube" is behind some gear) ride the bandwagon to stay competitive.

kmonkey wrote:If you hate this announcement so much - why bother to write about it anyway? You do realize it is going to be released with or without your opinion.
Again - not my point!

And I give the dev the benefit of the doubt - especially if I have the chance to test(!) this plugin. But I feel like SATSON-drama all over again.

kmonkey wrote:Someone at gearslut made a funny joke. This emulation need 6month of waiting, constant people teasing, absurd copy protection, absurd price and of course - we narrowed it perfectly - to be on pair with other emulations :D
The waiting time, teasing and hype is right is definitely there (though apparently, after 2 years, the release is next week). We only miss the CP and the "absurd" price (which is only absurd for Waves on the long run) in this example. If it's "on pair" with other emulations is yet to be seen.

I think I made my point however.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I'm not in the market for a plugin like Britson but I agree with Compyfox: the more variety the better.
There are tons of emulations of SSL and Neve consoles; do people need 10 types of each?
If the likes of Klanghelm are successful, it's because the plugins are great, very versatile and priced low. TBH, since I've bought DC8C and SDRR, I haven't looked at the competition.
If Sonimus brought something really new to the table then yes, I'd be interested, but that doesn't seem to be their intention at the moment. In any case good luck for Britson.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Compyfox wrote: If we go by that argumentation, no software emulation has any "last word". But we're pretty darn close. Close enough to fool people, and close enough to be usable on a daily-project basis.
If it is close for you, it doesn't necessary mean it is close to me or someone else..Like i said to my ear almost everything other is a mushy waveshaping saturator
Compyfox wrote: Because it's basically focusing on the same gear over and over again. Granted, each hardware device that is not based upon digital circuity or properly maintenanced to sound "unified" has an own character to it. Hence the ton of emulations on the market, and hence the personal opinion by the users involved. So the variety of the "same gear" is actually good. Especially if you want to mix and match (even if the nouances are sometimes really minimal!).
Totally agree with this.

kmonkey wrote:You are acting like there is no way someone else could do it better?
Compyfox wrote: Again, I'm not saying that. You are implying however that all other companies were crap so far
And i am not saying that directly but i can be more precise - i do think Waves console emu is really crappy, i like Stripbus better, i do think that Slate VCC is overhyped (while their VTM is fabulous). Anyway or other i think "for me" Satson nailed it perfectly. I miss some Stipbus function but overall - sound - is not overhyped and a bit more there - for me
Compyfox wrote: And I give the dev the benefit of the doubt - especially if I have the chance to test(!) this plugin. But I feel like SATSON-drama all over again.
Don't know anything about Satson drama..
Compyfox wrote: The waiting time, teasing and hype is right is definitely there (though apparently, after 2 years, the release is next week). We only miss the CP and the "absurd" price (which is only absurd for Waves on the long run) in this example. If it's "on pair" with other emulations is yet to be seen.
That's a weird joke right?

If you want to tell me that their marketing is as obtrusive and aggressive as Slate marketing i am going to strongly disagree with you on this one alone. Point me where they have hundreds of forum pages telling people how release is close but hey oh boy someone noticed something in the last stage of plugin development so plugin release is (surprise) postponed yet again for next three month - this is something usual Slate does again and again and again. Should i post you email from Slate about VTM being AAX finally in beta test and i can show you his word where he promised it almost half year ago.

Don't you even try to tell me that anyone in this universe is on the same level as Slate (speaking of marketing only). There is none. Simple as that.

Anyway back on topic..i think we should just wait and test after release. Maybe it is indeed disappointment..who know..

You don't need to hook me up on Slate news/mails, I'm a Slate Digital user.

Though yes, the "hype" part is definitely Slate (and I can relate - but there's more to that... problem), the "absurd pricing" is more Waves (considering WUP) than Slate (who asks for reasonable prices lately).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Take my money now for gods sake... Don't make me wait until the end of March!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

The good ole "Compyfox" and his lecture type of posts where he demonstrates he knows about gear, their history and all type of plugins that actually represent them. It's OK, man, we know you know a lot already, no need to do that again and again after all these years.

Yes, man. I'm a tester. Diego is already thinking about doing a new emulation of a different console, it's been on his plans for a while but Britson had to be finished first.

This is good news. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I dont care how many times its been done I would just like it done right - for once - so it sounds convincing not just typical digital saturation fluff. Pylorca really sounds like he has an understanding of the tone so lets hope its good...
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

analoguesamples909 wrote:I dont care how many times its been done I would just like it done right - for once - so it sounds convincing not just typical digital saturation fluff. Pylorca really sounds like he has an understanding of the tone so lets hope its good...
Couldn't agree more... :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Mercado_Negro wrote:The good ole "Compyfox" and his lecture type of posts where he demonstrates he knows about gear, their history and all type of plugins that actually represent them. It's OK, man, we know you know a lot already, no need to do that again and again after all these years.
I can use search engines, and in my almost 2 decade long musician and engineering career I've definitely seen a lot as well. So excuse me for commenting on oversaturating the market, and making it clear what this thing is actually about - according to the currently available information.

Mercado_Negro wrote:Yes, man. I'm a tester.
Wonderful job in actling like a wisenheimer yourself then.

Mercado_Negro wrote:Diego is already thinking about doing a new emulation of a different console, it's been on his plans for a while but Britson had to be finished first.
Oh... what's it this time? API?
Granted, API doesn't get as much love... but it's still not taking any risks!

Seriously... the dev should swallow his hurt pride and come back to KVR again, be more vocal in terms of questions rather than force possible users to "sign in" to his page. And maybe finally provide demos, or write on the FAQ page "no demo, but 100% no questions asked refund".

Then people could finally test the plugins, make up their own minds - especially after all this hype. This way we interested users don't need to rely on "hearsay" from beta testers or biased opinions by fans.

With that said - I get the vibe towards me. Like usual, I'm obviously not the "voice that provides a different viewpoint", but is an obvious nuisance factor.

If there is a demo - I might take a look. Just to see how it compares with what's available already(!!!). If not... blown chance by that developer yet again. And he has to live with the critism.

And so far, my only critism was the oversaturation of the market with yet another NEVE console type plugin. What do you know, sh*t hits the fan, hell breaks loose.

I'm out of here. Not in the mood for that kind of stuff this time around.

Back to mute, I thought it was gonna be different with you...

Don't agree with a user - no arguments anymore - so better use the mute function.
Very grown up. Whatever floats your boat.

But remember one thing - there are always several sides of a medal.

I actually agree with you Compy. All good points. ;)

Especially about them not providing a demo option of any kind. That's just ridiculous, completely. Even the ridiculously overpriced "companies" give you an option to at least demo their excrement [to put it "KVR refined"].
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Great, another sonimus plugin I won't be buying because of iplug.

I envy you guys; I still miss Satson's awesome filters.

Return to “Effects”