BionicSupaDelay! (from Interruptor)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bionic Supa Delay BionicDelay

so awesome! Little PrimalTap a couple weeks ago and now a surprise from the Delay master! :D 8) :tu:

I tried it in Mulab 64 bit Windows 7.
Works fine With Jbridge here.

Thanks for this great plugin.

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

I like the UI myself, it's laid out logically and the size of everything (fonts, knobs) are good, and it's the first time having an artist endorsement ("Disciples edition") on the tin actually means something to me. Russ D is one of my personal superheroes and Boom-Shacka-Lacka is a synonym for high quality, so it gives a intriguing twist to this. Care to talk about how it came about, Interruptor?

The sound itself is magnificent, I'm really liking it, but I'll probably need to get more controllers, one specifically for this. ;) The delay time & groove-combination is a nice way to adjust times.

Still need to put it to a more thorough test, but thanks for this Interruptor, much appreciated.

Here's a video I found (from the man Russ D himself?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9KyW23UHds

I like the interface, it looks human 8) Thanks to the different sizes and forms of controls it is easy to memorize where everything is.

And the concept is also useful. I like multi-FX thingies, unless one or more of the components sound bad of course.

This plugin comes almost exactly a year after his last plugin, the string machine :)

Gee, there even is a thorough 13-page manual, quite unusual for free stuff, and some commercial stuff even. People using this plugin really should donate something to acknowledge the effort put into it :)

ras.s wrote:I like the UI myself, it's laid out logically and the size of everything (fonts, knobs) are good, and it's the first time having an artist endorsement ("Disciples edition") on the tin actually means something to me. Russ D is one of my personal superheroes and Boom-Shacka-Lacka is a synonym for high quality, so it gives a intriguing twist to this. Care to talk about how it came about, Interruptor?

The sound itself is magnificent, I'm really liking it, but I'll probably need to get more controllers, one specifically for this. ;) The delay time & groove-combination is a nice way to adjust times.

Still need to put it to a more thorough test, but thanks for this Interruptor, much appreciated.
hello... just to let you know a little how this came about, some years ago i moved away from mixing with big desk and analogue gear, various reasons, and i started mixing itb using a bcf2000 controller... out of all the delay vst`s i tried i like the Bionic Delay, both in sound and its layout, it suited me...later on i had been thinking about other delay effects i particularly wanted, pitchshifting delay being one of them, i could`nt find a good vst one anywhere so i approached Interruptor to see if it was possible he could build or adapt his Bionic Delay, he was up for it, i had some other ideas about autopanner, manual pan, x2 button, reverb and filters... Interruptor put it all together and we ended up with this new Bionic Supa Delay.... i myself used a novation nocturn controller to map all controls to, which worked fine for me...some of the effects i figured where going to be set and leave, not ones you need to control during a mix...i did later map to a novation sl mk2, which you could have everything at hand...

hope everybody has a good use for this effect, and support Interuptor... its a good works !

cheers...russd

Russ D wrote: hello... just to let you know a little how this came about, some years ago i moved away from mixing with big desk and analogue gear, various reasons, and i started mixing itb using a bcf2000 controller... out of all the delay vst`s i tried i like the Bionic Delay, both in sound and its layout, it suited me...later on i had been thinking about other delay effects i particularly wanted, pitchshifting delay being one of them, i could`nt find a good vst one anywhere so i approached Interruptor to see if it was possible he could build or adapt his Bionic Delay, he was up for it, i had some other ideas about autopanner, manual pan, x2 button, reverb and filters... Interruptor put it all together and we ended up with this new Bionic Supa Delay.... i myself used a novation nocturn controller to map all controls to, which worked fine for me...some of the effects i figured where going to be set and leave, not ones you need to control during a mix...i did later map to a novation sl mk2, which you could have everything at hand...

hope everybody has a good use for this effect, and support Interuptor... its a good works !

cheers...russd

Whoa, welcome on board, thanks for chiming in.

Yea it's nice having pitch-shifter and reverb and the other stuff on the same device.. I've been using several effects chained together to achieve things like that and it's always a mess mapping it all together for a mix (and then deciding I want a different kind of sound and then doing it all over again). It's definitely easier and less time consuming with them all being in one plugin, though doing it like I'm used to does have some benefits, like having a sort of cross-fader for effects (one aux gives two different reverbs for instance, or a blend of both). That Youtube-clip shows quite well that there's plenty of different kind of sounds with this one.

I remember reading from Blood and Fire or some place that you switched to working in the box. Still quite rare, considering all the possibilities and the cost of things .. I've been thinking of getting one of those new Behringer CMD-series controllers for effect controls, though I don't know, I haven't seen them for myself and the pictures of them do look like the knobs are too small for some quick action. It's not much use to have every possible control at hand, but the more the better still. ;)

Anyways, give thanks for the collab both of you, now I'm looking forward to hearing it at the dance.

Russ D was one of the people who inspired my own journey into dub production. Particularly one statement he made in a late 90ies tv documentary stuck with me: He stressed the importance of mixing live, adding effects and track mutes on the fly not in a cut&paste / DAW fashion. The mixing desk is thus used like a musical instrument. Last year I was happy to learn that he relies on Bionic Delay in his live mixes and I jumped at the opportunity of creating something together.

can u expand on this interrupter, sounds interesting
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

interruptor wrote:Russ D was one of the people who inspired my own journey into dub production. Particularly one statement he made in a late 90ies tv documentary stuck with me: He stressed the importance of mixing live, adding effects and track mutes on the fly not in a cut&paste / DAW fashion. The mixing desk is thus used like a musical instrument.
That's a funny thing if there are some people on the mixing desk to make all the automations and other adjustments manually. But if you're alone, it's a bit of a problem because you only have 2 hands... :(

@tricky-loops: That's true, you have two hands only. But your listener also has two ears only. Being restricted to what your hands can do in real-time means that your mix automatically get's "human dimensions". Also I feel it's more fun (and more efficient) than spending hours on editing automation curves inside a DAW. The pioneers of dub music worked on 4 track tape, so there weren't that many controls demanding for "additional hands" anyway. What modern day dub producer's usually do is break the mix down into 4 or 5 sub groups (drums&percussion, bass, keys&guitars, vocals). During the mix mostly the volume faders and aux sends on these sub group tracks are used.

See Prince Jammy in action in this documentary from the early 80ies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAARebqmbU#t=34

it might be music style dependent, with reggae there`s always a requirement for more than one dub mix of a tune, sound systems and dj`s of the music may require 3, 4 or more different or exclusive mixes... as a mixer you might focus on different elements of instrumentation to pull out and dub up... to sit at a computer and program several different mixes would be mind numbing for me and probably take days, so even when i moved over to working in the box there was the requirement to be able to have some level of hands on mix for dubbing... i would of course create a sound / production itb, even with some small reverbs and delays to create ambience etc, but i would then mix dubs individually using the bcf2000 and novation nocturn, i worked my multitrack into 8 subgroups, drums, percussion, bass, horns, keys, chops, lead vox, back vox... each subgroup channel i would then have various reverbs, plates, springs etc, maybe a couple different delayers, and a filter... some would be plugins, some outboard piped into cubase.... all of these set only for mixing dubs....i could do as many mixes of any tune as needed, each mix in real time, nice n quick, unrepeatable mixes....its what reggae and dub is about.

if you went back 15/20 years before the prolific use of computers you would have no choice but to mix hands on and in realtime on a hardware mixer.... and in the history of reggae its always been a one man, one pair of hands mix... and just look at how good dub was mixed 20/30 or so years ago... king tubby, scientist, prince jammy, sylvan morris, phillip smart, lee perry, dennis bovell, mad prof, adrian sherwood, steven stanley and so on.

LOVE this.
Really like the nifty granular pitch harmonizing preset.
Being SE (IT is SE, isn't it?) I expected some issues, but encountered none. But, then again, I use the original stuff all the time.

@osiris: Yes, it's put together in Synthedit, using many 3rd party modules. Given the lack of negative feedback on the stability of the Night Flight VSTi I conclude that Synthedit is practically bug free by now. I hope the next steps, 64bit and Mac-portability will be concluded soon..
I assume you refer to the "X" algorithm in the pitch shifter? That's the lo-fi algorithm i created myself. The others options A-D are using Chris Kerry's pitch shifting module.

I've always been amazed at what SE can do in the right hands....
I've never had a problem, and I think most problems were created by stuff that was made in early versions, so less stable.

Russ D wrote: hello... just to let you know a little how this came about, some years ago i moved away from mixing with big desk and analogue gear, various reasons, and i started mixing itb using a bcf2000 controller... out of all the delay vst`s i tried i like the Bionic Delay, both in sound and its layout, it suited me...later on i had been thinking about other delay effects i particularly wanted, pitchshifting delay being one of them, i could`nt find a good vst one anywhere so i approached Interruptor to see if it was possible he could build or adapt his Bionic Delay, he was up for it, i had some other ideas about autopanner, manual pan, x2 button, reverb and filters... Interruptor put it all together and we ended up with this new Bionic Supa Delay.... i myself used a novation nocturn controller to map all controls to, which worked fine for me...some of the effects i figured where going to be set and leave, not ones you need to control during a mix...i did later map to a novation sl mk2, which you could have everything at hand...

cheers...russd
Thanks for sharing.

Massive fan of the interuptor and his plugins, plus his website. Would love to use his studio one day too. Saw a production tutorial on youtube the other day and they were using Analogic or Bionic delay.

I can also wholeheartedy recommend the “Night Flight” synth

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml

It's a fantastic gui. It has a lot of very useful sounds for dub. It doesn't cost much at all. Just a tenner from where I'm standing. And the guy hardly ever pushes his wares or spams the forum with useless shit. This is one developer we should all really support. His delays have been in heavy use for over a decade now.

Anyway, thanks a lot for this. And thanks for the background info.

Return to “Effects”