NI Molekular [threads merged]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Neon Breath wrote:
But strangely, I tried and tried to like it and I just can’t. I really wanted to like it though lol. I liked its workflow, but there’s something in its overall sounds that makes me grin a bit.

I feel alone since everyone seems so psyched about it...
If you don't like it, you don't like it, where is the problem in that?

I think I'm gonna have to buy this to replace spectrumworx (which doesn't work on my system in any way these days) while I wait for an update that fixes it. This is the sort of thing that made me like NI so much in the first place.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:
But strangely, I tried and tried to like it and I just can’t. I really wanted to like it though lol. I liked its workflow, but there’s something in its overall sounds that makes me grin a bit.

I feel alone since everyone seems so psyched about it...
If you don't like it, you don't like it, where is the problem in that?
Nothing actually. Just feel abnormal that's it :hihi:

I for one am loving Molekular alot. I almost think at this point that many of the other plugs I bought might fall to the wayside. The richness of the sounds and I think the interface is brilliant. Well I can easily see why someone might not take to it but I feel compatible with it in some way. I think I just have a lot of respect for the thought and planning that must've gone into this... Maybe someone already said this but i love it on guitar. man o man... I can wait for a comprehensive video demo of each effect and to get a clearer understanding of all the modulation possibilities. A lot to mull at first.

oops. sorry for doub. post...

Neon Breath wrote: I feel alone since everyone seems so psyched about it...
Of course it makes me wonder what similar plugs you are psyched about? :)

Igor Amos wrote:I for one am loving Molekular alot. I almost think at this point that many of the other plugs I bought might fall to the wayside. The richness of the sounds and I think the interface is brilliant. Well I can easily see why someone might not take to it but I feel compatible with it in some way. I think I just have a lot of respect for the thought and planning that must've gone into this... Maybe someone already said this but i love it on guitar. man o man... I can wait for a comprehensive video demo of each effect and to get a clearer understanding of all the modulation possibilities. A lot to mull at first.
The 4 Point Blank tutorials on the NI web page I posted covers just about everything. They move quickly, but leave nothing out.

You could listen to each DSP in isolation, but the modulations assignable to just a single one makes any single preset atypical. When you combine the routings and automations, there's almost no way to predict what is going to come out.

You have to tweak and play it yourself. Find the things that appeal to you.
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

arachnaut wrote: The 4 Point Blank tutorials on the NI web page I posted covers just about everything. They move quickly, but leave nothing out.

You could listen to each DSP in isolation, but the modulations assignable to just a single one makes any single preset atypical. When you combine the routings and automations, there's almost no way to predict what is going to come out.

You have to tweak and play it yourself. Find the things that appeal to you.
Thanks for the advice arachnaut. I watched the Point Blank tutorials and they are excellent. I don't think I have your deeper understanding of DSP stuff and though I'm getting amazing usable results from tweaking, I'm not 100% clear on what I'm doing. I usually don't care but I really want to learn Molekular since I'll be using it a lot. The Point Blank tutorials do a great job of covering some of the effects but I think not even half. Also, I'm just starting to understand exactly what LFOs and ENVs do too and the boolean operators on the LFOs in Molekular is intriguing. I kinda wish it had a visual display like Razor to help "see" how you are shaping the sound. The morpher is pretty straight forward. I get that. I've never really wanted to learn the deeper level stuff. Just usually pick a preset and randomize or tweak but now I with Molekular, I want to know more. I know Molekular is more intuitive than most plugins but I feel like I'm just starting out :)

Sampleconstruct wrote:At the end of a long studio day I needed another Molekular experience: quick and dirty piano impro processed in real time with a custom patch:

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/p ... -molekular
Elaborating on this patch a bit, I made a video using the morphing functions, so first you set up a base and 4 combinations of effect settings (note that e.g. LFO speeds/shapes can be stored in those snaps A-D as well), then you either morph manually or assign modulators to do it for you. If you already have LFO's or other modulators assigned to certain parameters in the individual effects, better take some unused ones if you want dedicated speed and shapes for the the morphing, otherwise you break/change the modulator settings which were already assigned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8xBY_qZUPw

Igor Amos wrote: ...I don't think I have your deeper understanding of DSP stuff ...
Outside of the simple delays, filters, and so on, the DSP units are rather unique. So no one really 'understands' them. We just play around a while until we get the feel for how they work.

There are a set of Single DSP presets which are examples, but again, you can change the pitch table a little and get quite a different sound from some of them, so these are just simple starting points.

For some crazy effects, you can try morphing two snapshots in the snapshot bank.

Go into edit mode, select the snapshot tab and expand the "Snapshot Morphing + Random" button.
Select the left snapshot and then a right snapshot to morph using the little slots.
The two small 'square wave' symbols above each morph snapshot tell Reaktor which one to use for the control settings
Then you slide the morph control between the two and the remaining parameters are merged and averaged together smoothly.

This can give really unusual effects and starting points because one would probably never come up with these combinations.

There's much more to this, so read up on it in the Reaktor manual if it interests you.

I use this all the time to get new effects.

You can also use Randomize and Random Merge.

When I get an effect I like I save the snapshot. Then I set Randomize to a small value and click it and listen, click and listen - each click is a small change - sometimes good, sometimes not.

There's a whole world of fun here and this applies to every Reaktor instrument.
Clipboard-1.png
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

Reminds me of Memories of Green :phones:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

arachnaut wrote:
Igor Amos wrote: ...I don't think I have your deeper understanding of DSP stuff ...
Outside of the simple delays, filters, and so on, the DSP units are rather unique. So no one really 'understands' them. We just play around a while until we get the feel for how they work.

There are a set of Single DSP presets which are examples, but again, you can change the pitch table a little and get quite a different sound from some of them, so these are just simple starting points.

For some crazy effects, you can try morphing two snapshots in the snapshot bank.

Go into edit mode, select the snapshot tab and expand the "Snapshot Morphing + Random" button.
Select the left snapshot and then a right snapshot to morph using the little slots.
The two small 'square wave' symbols above each morph snapshot tell Reaktor which one to use for the control settings
Then you slide the morph control between the two and the remaining parameters are merged and averaged together smoothly.

This can give really unusual effects and starting points because one would probably never come up with these combinations.

There's much more to this, so read up on it in the Reaktor manual if it interests you.

I use this all the time to get new effects.

You can also use Randomize and Random Merge.

When I get an effect I like I save the snapshot. Then I set Randomize to a small value and click it and listen, click and listen - each click is a small change - sometimes good, sometimes not.

There's a whole world of fun here and this applies to every Reaktor instrument.
Clipboard-1.png
very interesting to hear how you experiment. I sorta do the same thing but I've picked up a couple tips here and some inspiration so thanks for that!

Yeh, If I were to start over with what I know, I would get a DAW and Reaktor and nothing else. Like you there's a whole world just in Reaktor and User Library... Many lifetimes worth of fun... :)

Sendy wrote:
Simon should have been on the preset creation team for Molekular from what I'm hearing.

Phase47 wrote:
Sendy wrote:
Simon should have been on the preset creation team for Molekular from what I'm hearing.
I'll release a set for it.

Celtic harp impro (samples/MachFive 3) processed with Molekular, I recorded all the mouse movements and Motion-button-clicks in the Morphpad in my DAW (LogicX), edited the automation a bit and then made that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ5JMNdwnaY

Return to “Effects”