SoftClipper, and now SmoothClipper

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kvaca wrote:
Tp3 wrote: Though I do have ClipShither (which offers the world - and beyond - in terms of visual data and sound treatment)
really nice name, I dont have it but its not hard to imagine what is such plugin doin... :lol:

edit-now I see you reinvented that name a little...
Holy Shi[f]t !

I'm such a Douchebag.... :dog: :nutter:

Can't believe I facken wrote that.... :hihi: Hehe... ClipShiter... I think I just invented a new recycling facility ! :lol:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

TMaudio wrote:
camsr wrote:Okay there was a glaring typo that the compiler didn't catch.
Must remember to use distinct variable names in the future :rolleyes:
Use the same link as before to download it, although I don't know if it will work going by your description of the problem, but it was working fine for me just now, using Reaper x64. I should remind everyone it's still in beta (or maybe it's early access, IDK)

I don't have Sonar so I can't test it there. If you would like to help out, I could only say thanks, I'm sure someone else would also appreciate it.
Yea it was the same deal with the x64 version. This time however I tried using the x86 version and actually that works.
It's usable, you just get some quirky or faulty behavior like how the parameters reset if you copy from one track to the other for example. Other than that, it is actually a nice soft clipper. It reminds me of GClip but in a dynamic way which was the most interesting part. Specifically the softness curve you can sense is dynamically changing according to the frequency content which is clever.
It may be related to the same problem that prevents the x64 version from being bridged into a x86 host. I will study it further. As for copying the plugin across tracks, Sonar may not save the plugin state into the project like FL Studio does, and there is no preset program handling currently. So, there is still plenty to do :D Kinda silly using presets for a one-knob plugin.

camsr wrote:
TMaudio wrote:
Use the same link as before to download it, although I don't know if it will work going by your description of the problem, but it was working fine for me just now, using Reaper x64. I should remind everyone it's still in beta (or maybe it's early access, IDK)

I don't have Sonar so I can't test it there. If you would like to help out, I could only say thanks, I'm sure someone else would also appreciate it.
Yea it was the same deal with the x64 version. This time however I tried using the x86 version and actually that works.
It's usable, you just get some quirky or faulty behavior like how the parameters reset if you copy from one track to the other for example. Other than that, it is actually a nice soft clipper. It reminds me of GClip but in a dynamic way which was the most interesting part. Specifically the softness curve you can sense is dynamically changing according to the frequency content which is clever.
It may be related to the same problem that prevents the x64 version from being bridged into a x86 host. I will study it further. As for copying the plugin across tracks, Sonar may not save the plugin state into the project like FL Studio does, and there is no preset program handling currently. So, there is still plenty to do :D Kinda silly using presets for a one-knob plugin.
Maybe I misunderstood something here, but Sonar saves the plug-in state in the project. If you need a Sonar user to help test this, I have the 64-bit versions X1 and X2 Producer.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

camsr wrote:
TMaudio wrote:

Just to be clear, when I tried the 64-bit version, it was always with 64-bit Sonar X3e (the latest release).
Since 64-bit softclipper didn't function, I tried 32-bit softclipper in 64-bit Sonar and that worked. I mean yea, it's still very usable since as the poster above mentioned, it does indeed save the plugins state. More importantly when you save the project and re-open it, which I did test, it does retain the settings which is a must.

So, x64 version works in some hosts, not in others, bridged or not it appears. If you guys with other hosts could try the x86 version and save a test project with it, verify the plugin processes audio, and saves it's setting, that would be the most help I can ask for.

Just a bump.

Bump

I've been researching possible causes of the x64 errors. If you use this plugin (x64) and experience ANY strange behavior, please let me know.

I really like working with this SoftClipper but is there any way I can type in the amount of Drive I want instead of using the slider in order to get more accurate peak reductions?
Michael Marra / Mastering Engineer
João Carvalho Mastering
http://mikemarramastering.com

Not yet, but I do sponsor the idea of typing in values for more accuracy.

... or shift+click for finer tuning (that is : [+1] increments)

Thanks for the plug, camsr
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

q_h wrote: camsr,
Also, it is optimized for Core 2 platforms, would be interesting to see AMD users results.
:D
Pnenom II x4 @ 3.3Gz
I did a quick test with AMD FX8350 by running 100 clippers with full DRIVE and live input(that clearly clipped)
Results:
V1: 2.64%
V2: 1.07%
V3: 1.56%
V3.1: 1.42%

DuX wrote:X86 builds usually are faster. :D But people think that the bigger number means faster execution...
I also tested the X86 build on the same machine
V3.1: 1.45%
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

x64 uses more memory, so in some cases it would be slower. But this plugin uses almost none, so it's the same.

Updated the top post and got rid of links to older versions.

You asked if we would find a mono version useful. Yes please, we would! Wholeheartedly! :)

I mean, when recording and mixing real drums and instruments they are mostly recorded in mono. All drums are always recorded in mono. Only overheads are recorded in stereo. So it's only logical to keep them mono until they hit FX like reverb or delay etc. Only people who do everything in the box usually use only stereo channels for everything, probably even fart samples. :) Also, a mono version should use a bit less CPU. Not that there's an issue with CPU consumption with your plugin, but less CPU consumption is always welcome. ;)

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Effects”