Most (r)evolutionary plug-ins of all time?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I believe the 2nd most revolutionary plug in was a record player.
Somebody had to wind up the original one.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

In my opinion without any doubt: Halion 5 from Steinberg.

This is very close to total integration of everything that is synth/sampler based, and also a complete integration with the steinberg hosts. (see below)

I see several reasons why this is the way to go in the next coming years:

- absolutly unmatched by any other brand customizable user interface sizable over multiple screens and also detachable gui-components
- not unique but it combines several advanced engines like a granulator, analog emulator and full sampler together with a more then decent drum computer
- those engines are can be layered in any combination up to 64 layers (in multi) if needed all with indivdual outputs
- a completely open programming structure (but not for the copyright protected sound packages) so that any modulator (midi/fx) can be inserted on any level of the program structure
- rarely used but absolutely very usefull midi insert fx like a midi player (for example delayed starting points for layers, but even up to completely custom build automated orchestration, with up to 8 assignable keyswitches per insert fx.
- user definable flexphraser which is an advanced form of a combination of a step sequencer and arpegiator also with 8 assignable keyswitches
- very advanced drum slicing with individual outputs for each slice and nice editing per slice
- export of own sounbanks (no copyright protected content can be included)
- every aspect of the midi-modules can be exchanged back and forwards in cubase just by dragging dropping the midi content, so there is no real limit on what can be inserted in the program tree when you talk about miditriggered content within the program structure. So this is a very open approach of making your own sounds.

In fact: there is very few or any competition on that level imo with that kind of combined functions for a vsti. But there is not much non-existing that was introduced with Halion 5, but it is the ferrari of the vsti's guiwise and functionwise. Unmatched imo upon today.

If i would give a price for most inovative product.
Breaktweaker from Izotope. Their micro-editing combined with the synthesis possibilities promisses unmatched drumpossibilities. (in modern music though)
But this one is still very new, so it has still to find it's way to the market.

BTW not to be too nit picky Tronam but Altiverb was not cross platform when it arrived, actually took quite a while before it was.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Effects”