EQ 73 and EQ 81 New T-RackS Custom Shop classic British EQ models released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just bought Pro-L, Pro-C, and Pro Q over at Fabfilter in their 40% off sale so I can't afford these.
Can I have them for free?
Thanks.

lotus2035 wrote:Can I have them for free?
Black Friday Group Buy will be your friend. Patience, young Padawan.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

I think the next mass group buy or up-to-50%-off sale is around the corner anyway. Wasn't that long since the last sale.

So indeed... patience.
Though I do miss sales on tools like ARC...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I need a good EQ for character, but i just have a feeling that other plug ins are better.

Can anyone verify that IK is up there with the elite? I hear nobody talking about them besides the Sampletank 3 fiasco.

LimboLoves wrote:I need a good EQ for character, but i just have a feeling that other plug ins are better.

Can anyone verify that IK is up there with the elite? I hear nobody talking about them besides the Sampletank 3 fiasco.
They've stepped their game up quite a bit in the last few years. The Amplitube 3 amps and later are generally fantastic, and the same goes for most of T-Racks. When it comes to T-Racks, I find some stuff to be better than others. For instance, the IK 670 is better than the original UAD 670, but not as good as their new Fairchild collection. I also prefer the UAD 1176 Collection and LA-2A Collection to the IK versions (I really think IK cut corners on those two models, just my own guess/take though). But the more recent T-Racks models have been getting rave reviews: especially the Neve compressor, the 432 EQ, and these new Neve's.

So yes, I'd say among the elite.

Now if they'd just put out that Distressor emulation I keep bothering Peter about.

And how is CPU use?

IK British Channel sounds great, but it's very CPU hungry!!

If the word elite could ever be more appropriate, I'll pick a single quote from another unnamed forum where there are plenty more like this and I really am surprised even though these are truly fine work and we expected they'd be well-received:
Ok, really IK, this time you earned the highest praise. You managed to make the best plugin EQs ITB ever IMHO. I am speechless. These two wipe the floor even with Nebula renditions. They make other Neve clones sound like joke. And thank you for avoiding the concentric knobs as these make no sense ITB, just do the handling cumbersome. This is by faaaar your best release which highly surpasses everything UAD has ever done in the EQ land. These do have a weight that is expected, do have silky smooth highs and superb midrange. I don't know how you did it, but you definitely did. Benchmark for all the other EQs from now on IMHO.
...and this is not someone who is 100% on board with what we release, plus this isn't the type of person who heaps blind praise at all, and I know we've received some critique from them in the past and this is great to hear that they've been pleasantly surprised here. Seems no surprise that separating the dual concentric knobs was a good and popular idea too...

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:If the word elite could ever be more appropriate, I'll pick a single quote from another unnamed forum where there are plenty more like this and I really am surprised even though these are truly fine work and we expected they'd be well-received:
Quote taken fom GearSlutz, news product alert (currently), poster was called "Jantex" - there is no need to write "unnamed forums". And it's absolutely no suprise that GS is praising both Neve and SSL clones up and down. We talk about a board that has a focus on "vintage hardware" and/or hardware in general.

If you look at the release history of such clones, no matter which company... if there is a new rendition - it's automatically "the best" and "the most superior over everything else" (UAD included, which is endorsed by NEVE). That is a common thing on every music related webboard I know.

Until the next "update" comes along. :shrug:
Then it's praise all over for this particular company - while the other already existing creations are "crap" and "not worth it anymore". Even if they all do the same, and might sound only slightly different (which 99% of people don't even hear in a production!).

Like with the Pultec clones. There is no "ultimate clone" - each unit sounds slightly different. And that's actually a good thing if you're after the praised "imperfection".

I'm not saying that this plugin is bad in any way - competition is good for business (though again, I'm used to Neve EQ bundles!). But I restate my comment from weeks ago from another thread (Sonimus Britson) and my last post in here:
Are there really no other modules out there to clone other than NEVE and SSL?

IKM already stabbed at the CALREC Console EQ with the classic plugins (T-Racks 1, the original!). Why not give them an overhaul? Why can Hornet Audio (Otari Soundworkshop 34b clone) or Sknote (several stabs towards ADT Audio) be risky and go that route, while other developers constantly want a slice of the same cake and play it save?

I just don't get it. Probably never will.

Regarding the design choice:
Well... you (IKM) could have gone for dual-function tweaking knobs. But then this would have been a waste of the GUI (since it would only use up half of it). Still, I'd have arranged them vertically by columns - but it's still easy to understand just by looking at it.

If I really want to get the two Neve's, or even a possible "Neve Bundle" (which is now possible) - I think I'll wait to one of the many upcoming sales/groupbuys/deals. In hopes that ARC might also see a price reduction at some point (both new and upgrade).

And if T-Racks walks more towards "mixing", then maybe indeed a Distressor, a DBX, a parallel EQ, JoeMeek, API, OTARI, Siemens, Neumann, maybe even an LA3A, the Abbey Road compressor (since it's now discontinued - unless Waves revives it), the TL Audio M4 channel strip, an Avalon EQ/Preamp/Compressor Combo...

So many modules on the market that are still overlooked. If AT3 can get non-usual suspects, then why not also T-Racks?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Actually they are tougher on models like this there and don't heap praise on the newest shiniest objects, I'd say that description would fall elsewhere by many accounts and I do realize that you have issues with GS but personally I feel you're mostly projecting those issues. Try it and if you don't like it, feel free to disagree and also pass on these.

Note there's also shock at multiple instances of people saying it is better than what they have in Nebula (which is consistently a top dog amongst many there, new additions or not) and many instances of us consistently bringing great plugins to the table like we're on a roll and that we have an arc (pun intended) of great offerings not just the newest one-hit wonder.

Compyfox wrote:In hopes that ARC might also see a price reduction at some point (both new and upgrade).
ARC 2 was on sale at AudioDeluxe couple of weeks ago...
"I keep pressing the space bar, but I’m still on Earth."

J4R1O wrote:
Compyfox wrote:In hopes that ARC might also see a price reduction at some point (both new and upgrade).
ARC 2 was on sale at AudioDeluxe couple of weeks ago...
There are definitely a few dealers who have a great deal on ARC but I see they are US dealers...

I don't have any issues with GearSlutz, Peter - I'm a member there myself and I do prefer to use hardware on certain occasions. I may not be on the same wavelength with the userbase over there, but I don't have any problems otherwise.

Regarding "tougher critism" about clones or software in general (over at GS)... it's really depending on the company in question, Peter.

I might give all british type TR4 plugins another spin some day. But you know my critism towards the "Custom Shop". And I do know myself all too well... if I demo something, and I really like it but can't afford it (within a certain time span - and that has extended to up to a year now on my end due to my income and constant changing priority lists), then this annoys me.

And if you read that right... I didn't critisize the sound (ugh... I have to point that out, again!), or the design of a plugin (except for the old SSL GUI, else I was caught off guard with the NEVE). Just the fact that NEVE and SSL seem to be the only companies worth of a port.

And (again) the Custom Shop / prices... But this is nothing new - and I'm certainly not the only one.

Regarding ARC:
AudioDeluxe is US only. And it was no software release, it was the whole bundle. I'm happy with ARC1 for the time being. Though some ARC2 features are indeed nice. But this is not about ARC, it's about T-Racks.

I'm still making up my mind on how I feel about these, but as has been noted before: I cannot believe how much gain some of the presets add to the original signal.

Honestly, it is almost shocking. "Fuller Electric" in EQ81 seems to add close to 10db to the signal. Have a listen for yourself:

http://www.danieljslewis.com/ik/

How does something like this get past quality control?

Yes, I know it is merely a preset, and yes, I know I can edit it. But the larger point stands: it is at best misleading.

Slate is another example where many (if not most) presets actually increase the output gain, and inherently skew the sound.

Call it a pet peeve, but I find it slightly dishonest.

:roll:
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

So, Compy, you didn't criticize the sound because you haven't tried them, only your opinion about the intentions and motivation of an entire user base of another forum. Got it. Moving on since this thread isn't about that or ARC as you point out.

Again, a case of "non care to read a post properly", since I wrote something prior to your "Gearslutz" quote as well.

I should get used to writing - twitter style, for everyone to swallow (140 letters!).

Moving on - nothing to see here anymore.

Return to “Effects”