Name your "one great" EQ, compressor, and reverb...for 3 price brackets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't relate to these lists anymore - in the end it's down to personal preference and what amount of money you want to lay down (some call it "invest". I don't) on plugs that make you feel that you are a professional (don't lough - I read the other day that just by wearing a Superman T-shift - y'know, the one with the "S" logo - one can attain 5 points more on academic exams !... :))

Personally I think that one can create just as good material with expensive tools as he can with freeware. Whatever one uses doesn't matter.
One don't have to spend an arm and a leg in order to achieve results that would cost as much - and then some.

(R. , I'll send the money to your studio :wink: )

bManic summed it REALLY well, some time ago :
bManic wrote:People need to realize that we live in a world today where you get extremely high quality stuff for any kind of money. Sometimes even free stuff is at the very top level outperforming stuff that costs hundreds of dollars.

Price of a plugin is an illusion. A high price does not make a plugin great. A great plugin makes a plugin great!
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Robmobius wrote:I tried the TB last night, and I did a quick comparison with EQuilibrium on one of my mixes. I used the exact same settings. I can't categorically say that TB's EQ is better than EQuilibrium (I'll leave that to people with Ninja ears).

BUT, I did actually prefer the TB on my mix. Maybe, I'm just more partial to the TB's sound or something.

I'll obviously be buying the track essentials now. It's an unbelievable EQ for such a stupidly low price. I'm looking forward to comparing it on some of my other tracks.

Cheers, for the heads up Uncle E!! :)
I think Eric was referring to the IK Mastering EQ as sounding better than EQuilibrium, but you're right, the TB stuff is unbelievably good, and the Track Essentials bundle gets my vote as the best value in audio software. Not only is the EQ outstanding, but the compressor, the de-esser (as you noted), the Ferox tape sim, the gate, and pretty much everything else is top quality. All for 25 euros? What?!?!? :)

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

Tp3 wrote:(R. , I'll send the money to your studio :wink: )
If you'd be in Berlin (Germany), I'd invite you over.

If directed at me, that is. [/yoda]

Tp3 wrote:bManic summed it REALLY well, some time ago :
bManic wrote:People need to realize that we live in a world today where you get extremely high quality stuff for any kind of money. Sometimes even free stuff is at the very top level outperforming stuff that costs hundreds of dollars.

Price of a plugin is an illusion. A high price does not make a plugin great. A great plugin makes a plugin great!
Not only is he more than spot on with that, this does also apply to instruments, hosts and outboard gear these days.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
Tp3 wrote:(R. , I'll send the money to your studio :wink: )
If you'd be in Berlin (Germany), I'd invite you over.

If directed at me, that is. [/yoda]
Well, my aim is sometime in September. I'll keep you posted... :)
Tp3 wrote:bManic summed it REALLY well, some time ago :

Not only is he more than spot on with that, this does also apply to instruments, hosts and outboard gear these days.
I know.

But when we need a reference point (aka "what is better") then price is the first, most convenient, common denominator that comes to mind...
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

bmanic is an absolute godsend on KVR and Gearslutz. Great ears and cuts through all the BS!

I love how he sometimes admits to being hungover when not 100% sure about a post he just made too hehe!

Good man :)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

codec_spurt wrote:Linear phase EQs will give you more accuracy, but it is debatable what that means in the real world.
High passes are an area where I think it matters a lot. I depended heavily for many years on the UAD Cambridge's high passes, which are not linear phase, and finally got to a point where I absolutely can no longer accept the low frequency phase shifts it creates. A high pass doesn't have to be linear phase to sound good, particularly if it's a gentle curve, but you have to choose carefully. The good thing about linear phase EQ's is they ALL work great for this.

Compyfox wrote:Personally I can create just as good material with expensive tools as I can with freeware.
Really? That absolutely doesn't describe me at all, not only do I not make good mixes when using bad plugins, I don't even enjoy mixing in that case.

Uncle E wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:Linear phase EQs will give you more accuracy, but it is debatable what that means in the real world.
High passes are an area where I think it matters a lot. I depended heavily for many years on the UAD Cambridge's high passes, which are not linear phase, and finally got to a point where I absolutely can no longer accept the low frequency phase shifts it creates. A high pass doesn't have to be linear phase to sound good, particularly if it's a gentle curve, but you have to choose carefully. The good thing about linear phase EQ's is they ALL work great for this.
High pass filtering is absolutely the last place for linear phase EQ. I would only ever use linear phase for parallel processing or intentially smearing transients.

Honestly, linear phase is really not great 90% of the time but for low frequencies 99.999% of the time.

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Uncle E wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Personally I can create just as good material with expensive tools as I can with freeware.
Really? That absolutely doesn't describe me at all, not only do I not make good mixes when using bad plugins, I don't even enjoy mixing in that case.
I totally agree with Compy on that.

But I definitely think he would be better off if he ditched the Behringers.

Cheers

Scorb

Uncle E wrote:
Well, Compyfox said "freeware," not "bad plugins."

The TDR/Vladg plugins are on par with plugins that cost way more.

With the exception of SoundToys, I don't get much of a benefit (if any) from using expensive plugs rather than Valhalla, DDMF, and ToneBoosters.

Aubrey Lamont wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
Well, Compyfox said "freeware," not "bad plugins."

With the exception of SoundToys, I don't get much of a benefit (if any) from using expensive plugs rather than Valhalla, DDMF, and ToneBoosters.
I deliberately buy cheep-to-modest-price processors. never EVER have I felt that they sound "Amateur". I have my eyes on Elephant and AFAICR, it will be the most expensive processor I have ever bought (when I'll buy it).
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Aubrey Lamont wrote:Well, Compyfox said "freeware," not "bad plugins."

heh, good catch. I'll try those out.

djscorb wrote:High pass filtering is absolutely the last place for linear phase EQ. I would only ever use linear phase for parallel processing or intentially smearing transients.

Honestly, linear phase is really not great 90% of the time but for low frequencies 99.999% of the time.
It's usually the opposite. What linear phase EQ's are you using that cause smearing?

[/quote]
I deliberately buy cheep-to-modest-price processors. never EVER have I felt that they sound "Amateur". I have my eyes on Elephant and AFAICR, it will be the most expensive processor I have ever bought (when I'll buy it).[/quote]
I really agree with this,but I am the sort of person who would describe my favourite,preferred form of transport are my legs.

My great in all 3 are,

ReaEQ
DC8C
PSP Easyverb
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Anyone do a shoot out comparing 112db Redline Equalizer and Equilibrium? The only reason I'm asking is because they both have similar equalizer models from old consoles.
:borg:

Return to “Effects”