Name your "one great" EQ, compressor, and reverb...for 3 price brackets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like Eric's choices, but I'd arrange the "cheap" section this way:

EQ: TDR SlickEQ, ToneBoosters EQ
Comp: ToneBoosters comp, OverTone DYN500
Verb: Valhalla Vintage Verb

I'd also put Lex PCM in the expensive section (but that one's getting cheaper by the minute).

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

One of the best EQ's I've ever heard is the Reaper ReaFIR plug-in in EQ mode and it's free, but has high latency.

TB Flx is another great one. I can't think of any expensive plug-in EQ's lust over. The most expensive one I own is Redline EQ from 112db but I got it free since I test for them. It's very good but has a lot of latency like the other two so none of them are very good as track EQ's.

Haven't tried the new IK one, but I will.

I really like Melda's MDynamic Eq, it's incredibly versatile, easy to use, low or no latency, and sounds great. I don't own it but I'll buy it eventually.

I use DMG EQuick for most track EQ'ing because it has a super quick and intuitive interface.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Looks like a beast, but it's a mastering compressor right ??
Yes but it's flexible enough to be used anywhere. However, part of its beastliness is its CPU usage and so you'll probably need to choose wisely where to use.

I have a gazillion compressors. Don't know where to begin. Klanghelm DC8C 2 is amazing, though. One of the best software comps for "gluing" IMO.

Best expensive comp I own is the spectral compressor called Dynamic Spectrum Mapper, distributed by Plug-in Alliance. Can't live without it.

I use the two Valhalla reverbs for most things and the Redline Reverb for some things.

Signaldust reverbs are both free and excellent.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

EQ: Blue Cat Triple EQ (http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_TripleEQ/)
Comp: Voxengo: Crunchessor (http://www.voxengo.com/product/crunchessor/)
Verb: Verbtone (http://www.sknote.it/Verbtone.htm)

Triple Eq is free. Crunchessor and Verbtone are dirt cheap.

A.M. Gold wrote:One of the best EQ's I've ever heard is the Reaper ReaFIR plug-in in EQ mode and it's free, but has high latency.

TB Flx is another great one. I can't think of any expensive plug-in EQ's lust over.
It's not fair to rope that one in with everything else. It is a Linear Phase EQ that is capable of many other things.

TB Flx is also another Linear Phase dynamic EQ.

Linear phase EQs will give you more accuracy, but it is debatable what that means in the real world. I did some very high end stuff with crossoverss using Melda Productions plugins. But at the end of the day, no one can tell.

Linear phase eqs are better for mastering, but they have pre-ringing. Yeah right.

I got a bad internet connection here. I'm going to have to stop ranting.

Linear phase eq's have latency.

DDMF are amongst the best with the sharpest filters - you can even use them as crossovers.

This is a very involved and complex subject.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
U-o wrote:All you want + some extras in one bracket.
interesting suggestion. for some background info, this thread is related to another, with the general idea being that the plugs are kind of best-in-class or, at the least, superior to daw stock plugs

do these qualify ??

Yes, of course, they do - absolutely!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Cheap: toneboosters and tdr/vladg

Still relatively cheap: ddmf iieq pro and 6144, valhalla room and vintage

Expensive: equilibrium, steinberg portico comp

jens wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
U-o wrote:All you want + some extras in one bracket.
interesting suggestion. for some background info, this thread is related to another, with the general idea being that the plugs are kind of best-in-class or, at the least, superior to daw stock plugs

do these qualify ??

Yes, of course, they do - absolutely!
:tu:

Uncle E wrote:
Mercado_Negro wrote:What do you like about it?
It's one of the sweetest, most natural sounding EQ's I've ever heard while also allowing for a good amount of control (the Maag Audio EQ4 is also very sweet but it doesn't offer much control). I think it's better than the Universal Audio Massive Passive.
Thanks. I'll give it a listen during the week. Seems interesting.

Robmobius wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
Robmobius wrote:How would it compare to EQuilibrium? I can always do with another EQ. :)
It's better sounding, IMO.
I tried the TB last night, and I did a quick comparison with EQuilibrium on one of my mixes. I used the exact same settings. I can't categorically say that TB's EQ is better than EQuilibrium (I'll leave that to people with Ninja ears).

BUT, I did actually prefer the TB on my mix. Maybe, I'm just more partial to the TB's sound or something.

I'll obviously be buying the track essentials now. It's an unbelievable EQ for such a stupidly low price. I'm looking forward to comparing it on some of my other tracks.

Cheers, for the heads up Uncle E!! :)
Last edited by Robmobius on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

PS - I also tried out the DeEsser on my own Vox. I was very happy with the results.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Free : Get a download copy of Computer Music magazine when they do there free give away and register for the CM Vault and you will have all the CM magware plugins and instruments . TDR feedback compressor 2 , Vladg Molot and Limiter No6 ., Reaplugins, TDR/Vladg/Bootsy Slick Eq .Liquidsonics Reverberate LE .
Budget : Toneboosters , DDMF , Cytomic the glue , Valhalla.
Pricey : UAD , Waves , Fabfilter , etc etc etc .

I don't join these lists anymore - in the end it down to personal preference and what money you want to invest.

Personally I can create just as good material with expensive tools as I can with freeware. Whatever I use doesn't matter. I didn't spend an arm and a leg, and I can get results that would cost as much and then some.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Effects”