Waves Mercury around 2000$... Good deal?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, I've fallen for it (the emulation thing) I totally buy too much shit for the shit I turn out. I can't help myself :oops:

hibidy wrote:Hey, I've fallen for it (the emulation thing) I totally buy too much shit for the shit I turn out. I can't help myself :oops:
You can't take it with you. That's what I keep telling myself.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

So, dying with the most toys DOESN'T win?

ATS wrote:I can upgrade from what I have for around $500 right now. Tempted myself.

Also here is a 10% off coupon I found http://www.waves.com/lpn/coupons/go-10p ... Ogod6E0A0Q
Waves sometimes allows us dealers to accept these coupon codes in addition to any discount we're normally giving. With the 4 plugins I tried in our upgrade calculator, we'd be able to sell the Mercury Bundle for around $1,800 if that coupon code works for us.

The H-series, Abbey Road Collection, Scheps 73, Bass Rider, and Vocal Rider are killer, while the L1 and L2 are surprisingly useful. That alone is over $1,000 (though one of those plugins is going on sale for $59 this weekend ;)).

btw, Waves has an upgrade to the Abbey Road Collection for very cheap right now if you own any of its plugins. That's the way to go, IMO.

kbaccki wrote:You can't take it with you. That's what I keep telling myself.
You can if someone upgrades your WUP account for you after you're gone. ;)

haha!

Yeah, @bass rider, that is pretty killer and not talked about that much.

hibidy wrote:So, dying with the most toys DOESN'T win?
Blasphemie! Of course it does. So, what you need is:
- Waves Mercury
- Komplete 9 Ultimate
- Plug&Mix Bundle
- Toneboosters everything
- FabFilter everything
- T-Racks Deluxe

Less than that, they won't even let you in. :wink:

That being said, if Mercury is your only set of plug-ins, it's a good set. The WUP is a little annoying but contrary to popular opinion, you don't have to update it all the time.

Bug fixes are free as long as Waves doesn't increase the version to v.10. For v.10, you'll need active WUP.

What you don't get after the WUP expires is the new free stuff that's added to Mercury until you update WUP. In my case, that's Schoeps73, the Meta Filter and Vitamin, I think.

So, as soon as I think I need those or after Waves add another set of interesting plug-ins to Mercury, I pay my $240 and get all those plug-ins for free which weren't part of Mercury when I bought it. While at the same time ensuring that Waves has a good reason to maintain the entire catalogue instead of discontinuning anything.

It sounds more annoying at first but then it's just the same as keeping up-to date with other bundles.

I am thinking of selling mine as soon as the price goes back to sane again because Mercury is not the only bundle I have. And the Waves stuff just sounds as good as the others to me, not superior. But also,not worse.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

The only other thing about mercury is that if you sell it, it's a 150 buck transfer fee.

Lolz, at the uncle e price I feel like getting it :lol: Nah, I'll live wit what I have.

hibidy wrote:The only other thing about mercury is that if you sell it, it's a 150 buck transfer fee.

Lolz, at the uncle e price I feel like getting it :lol: Nah, I'll live wit what I have.
Every bundle above $700 MSRP will cost that same $150 and paying it will allow you to transfer everything at the same time in case you get pissed at Waves and want to the sell SSL while you're at it ;)

So the transfer fee / bundle price ratio is best for Mercury

medienhexer wrote:What you don't get after the WUP expires is the new free stuff that's added to Mercury until you update WUP. In my case, that's Schoeps73, the Meta Filter and Vitamin, I think.
Thank you for putting it in that context. I only own individual Waves plugins and have never understood the point of paying the WUP but it does clearly make good sense with Mercury when you put it that way.

just hit the "pay now" button on paypal for Mercury. now I wish I'd read Uncle E's comment on coupons before that :)

still...I owned Gold / CLA and a few bits and bops and the price wasnt too bad so i thought why not. (so long as Waves continues the path of upgrading the Merc bundle)

Anyway, I've wanted to go full on with waves for a few years now and I've waited for the right moment. This probably wasnt the 'right moment' compared to say a black friday deal but nonetheless i couldnt hold on much longer.

btw, I just checked that coupon code and we dealers can accept it.

Uncle E wrote:
medienhexer wrote:What you don't get after the WUP expires is the new free stuff that's added to Mercury until you update WUP. In my case, that's Schoeps73, the Meta Filter and Vitamin, I think.
Thank you for putting it in that context. I only own individual Waves plugins and have never understood the point of paying the WUP but it does clearly make good sense with Mercury when you put it that way.
It took me a while to understand the idea, as well. I don't think they're doing a good job explaining WUP. Then again, it's really only interesting for bundles Gold and higher.

You can think of Mercury as a flatrate for GASed musicians. About every two to three months, they add a new plug-in to their portfolio and apart from the SSL and Abbey Roads, all of them are included.

Everybody else pays WUP as a maintenance fee in case of new plug-in formats, 64 Bit or OS compatibility. Don't need it, don't pay. Easy as that.

If you think about it, it's actually fair. The additional costs Waves have for supporting new formats and OSes for their existing line would otherwise have to be compensated by increased prices or higher sales numbers. In both cases, supporting the existing stuff would be paid by new customers, not by the existing ones who want the maintenance.

Yes, I do like developers who manage to offer maintenance for free. I just don't think they have the moral obligation to give me everything for free forever. It just has to be fair.

kmonkey wrote:No i don't think it's worth it. Why? In short plenty of old plugins in that bundle. Nothing wrong with them they work but you have plenty of more advanced plugins from other companies.

For 2000$ you can buy a lot of more advanced plugins depending on what you really need - as many mentioned..
yep, and WUP is dumb. the prices @ waves are going down fast in one or two years you get it for $1000. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Like I said, we can table tennis this all day :hihi:

I'd love to have it. There are so many timeless emu's that I know I'd find a place for. But I already have a nice little stash of stuff (and even a couple I'd be willing to clear out) and the redundancy is not cost effective. Plus, I just tried to unload some stuff and out of the 3 I tried to sell I only was able to sell one (too many people reselling waves) So I'll have to pass.

Return to “Effects”