Eventide UltraChannel Native plug-in for Free

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UltraChannel

VitaminD wrote:
I think most of us like to discuss and come together on the forums.. not detract and fight.
C'mon Dave, remember where you're at! This is kvr!

While I'm not a big fan of ilok, the software is pretty painless and I've had no troubles. Nice not to need a dongle either. Much easier to deal with than Waves service center. Overall, it's a nice plug and I'm really digging the dual compressors and micro pitch shifter. Can't beat free plugs. Thanks Eventide.

robotmonkey wrote:Actually it is. It is constantly running in a background as a driver/service and is know to cause all kinds of trouble. Even quite recently it f**ked up some eLicenser plugins. People were complaining these same forums here.
Running all the time in background? If that is true, it's a no go for me.
Could anyone confirm this?

I hope it's just a service center software like NI's.
It's easy if you know how

pheeleep wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:
pheeleep wrote:It doesn't look like sidechain is implemented correctly for Fl Studio (missing sidechain inputs in Fl wrapper) but I'm not going to complain. It is free. I listened to a presets demo video online and am impressed. Good stuff. Nice surprise.
Yeah, FL Studio needs VST3 to recognize sidechain inputs. Same thing with Waves - no sidechain inputs on VST2 plugins but works ok with VST3.
Hi robotmonkey. I am pretty sure that I have many VST2 compressor plugins with sidechain that work correctly in Fl Studio. On those compressors, the sidechain inputs appear in the Fl wrapper ;)
In the manual it states that the sidechain input does not work for the windows VST version.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

itneveris wrote:I think too many people are being fooled by the alleged "249$ value" :roll:
I wasn't fooled by the price tag but after putting it into extensive use and doing some comparisons it certainly outgunned all but the very best plugins I personally use. The only other compressor that came close in freeware was Molot and also, but less so, Grancomp in terms of distortion (I tested a lot of plugins!). The pitch shifting is beautiful - the only other one I've heard that I like is Schwa's CMX. 249 dollars or not it sounds very, very good.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

lesha wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:Actually it is. It is constantly running in a background as a driver/service and is know to cause all kinds of trouble. Even quite recently it f**ked up some eLicenser plugins. People were complaining these same forums here.
Running all the time in background? If that is true, it's a no go for me.
Could anyone confirm this?

I hope it's just a service center software like NI's.
Yep running in the background and diggin' deep into the system.

For all new to Pace/iLok, take some time and read:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... tware.html
or more recently here :
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=353559

You'll get to know a company that proves it's incompetence, since 15+ years,
again and again.
And You'll find that they are mostly not interested in helping their users.
( there where a few exceptions to the rule, mostly enforced by their first grade clients, like Avid, Slate, etc.)
Also, you may find, that they sqeeze every drop of money out of their customers.
Charging the user, if their hardware fails, etc. etc. ...

You may have read about Eventide facing huge problems porting to 64bit ...
Now guess why.
Pace slows down plugin developement for more than a decade.
( I worked as a Waves beta tester for 7 years ... we where mostly testing Pace bugs
at that time ... releases had to be delayed ... special versions with
less Pace 'protection' had to be coded etc. etc. )

Again ... why does a free plugin need to be 'paced' ????

Jan

It's a good point, but I have an ilok account so I got the plug. I don't know if pace has been installed here (some plugs install it even if you don't use it)

EDIT, yup, it's there :x

thats odd on my mac running Logic 9 on lion
the ilok isnt running and everything is fine
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

So say someone wants to uninstall pace and ilok, is it easy?

It does'nt entrench itself in your computer after does it?
:borg:

You're all talking about how much Ilok/Pace is "intrusive", how many of you have a FB profile ?
Come on, is there anyone who can discuss just the Ultrachannel sound and details please...

V0RT3X wrote:So say someone wants to uninstall pace and ilok, is it easy?

there is a document with ilok that tells you how to uninstall. I did it once on my last computer and it was fine, no traces left over. FWIW: PACE/ilok has caused absolutely no problems on my computer or any of my old computers. don't want to say that people are blowing things out of proportion, but maybe it's a PC thing.
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

Keith99 wrote:Just read all 15 pages and no reviews about the plugin just lots of moaning about ilok and paranoia about it being free:) Can anyone actually say how good they find this plugin! I am downloading it now myself but would be interested in other, more experienced sound engineer's opinions.
sounds great, i am liking it on drums and I read somewhere else in this thread that someone really liked it on vocals. it's a useful plugin, and the CPU hit is negligible on my machine. download it and try it out.
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

michael2 wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:So say someone wants to uninstall pace and ilok, is it easy?

there is a document with ilok that tells you how to uninstall. I did it once on my last computer and it was fine, no traces left over. FWIW: PACE/ilok has caused absolutely no problems on my computer or any of my old computers. don't want to say that people are blowing things out of proportion, but maybe it's a PC thing.
Long ago iLok drivers used to mess up Windows but I think they cleared that up. They got a bad reputation that stuck, reinforced by the general gripe people have about dongles.

Now I can't even get it to run on my XP 32 PC... :lol:
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Endor-8o8 wrote:You're all talking about how much Ilok/Pace is "intrusive", how many of you have a FB profile ?
Come on, is there anyone who can discuss just the Ultrachannel sound and details please...
The plugin itself sounds great.
I can't remember ever to have a delay where I can switch compressor,gate etc. into the feedback path. Microshifter is a very good one, but I like the SoundToys one a bit more.
Lots of very good presets to start.
I also haven't seen "Drag and drop" inside a plugin to change the order of the single sections.
I don't comment on compressors, since I'm not that expert, but heard a lot of worse ones.
Plugin has just 2 small bugs (not critical ones):
- noise burst when switching some presets. For safety to your ears have a limiter inserted after the plugin.
- delay module doesn't work correctly in initial state, you have first to load a preset and modify it afterwards.

All this vitriol towards Pace/iLok seems to me to be misguided... If the venom is directed towards their customer services - as in the case of the last update fiasco - then it's somewhat understandable that users would be frustrated but most of the arguments are directed at the software/hardware itself and seem to ignore the reason why Pace exist in the first place. Nobody is forcing developers to use Pace/iLok and it seems obvious that some companies trust the system and are willing to accept the problems inherent in such a system - if it takes longer to upgrade software because of Pace's integration then thats just par for the course - It's a developers perogitive to decide what precautions they take with regards to theft of intellectual property and in turn the consumer is free to choose wether they agree with that decision or not.
There are obviously enough people who are ok about purchasing iLok protected software and I guess that until something better comes along (in the eyes of software developers that is) we will have no choice other than to go along with the vendor's decision. There are enough iLokless alternatives to choose from... So Pace should learn some social skills and we should maybe just bury the hatchet and move on.
Oh! The channel strip is really nice with some very good presets. A nice alternative to the Metric Halo channel strip. So thank you very very much Eventide :tu:

Return to “Effects”