Eventide UltraChannel Native plug-in for Free

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UltraChannel

OK, on the plugin :
It sounds pretty good and for free, it's hard to beat.
And if You're after retro sounds, the pitch shifter and delay,
will give you instant 80s feel.

It has a number of drawbacks, though ( see below )
Kaboom75 wrote:Ultrachannel is a re release of a plugin from 2006 ...
That explains a lot of things:
- The tiny GUI
On todays higher resolution displays, it's simply too small
- no Analyzer
Common in everything surgical, today. Not in 2006.
- Pace / iLok protection
pretty save sailing with Pace, around 2006. Not around 2012 ( and many other 'eras' ).
- Pace on a free plugin
As hard as it is to wrap a plugin into Pace code, as hard it is, to get it off again.
- A 'big' plugin for free
I guess a V3, addressing the 2006 issues, is in the making and will cost a upgrade fee.
Similar to Soundtoys

Other niggles :
- Low spec'd Gate.
- Low spec'd De-Esser
- No numerical read outs

Again, apart from spreading the Pace virus, the above cons are minor.
Still a good free plugin.

If You need a good channelstrip and can spend some money,
I'd recommend Voxengo ( Voxformer )
Sadly, one of the best is no longer available -- Mixcontrol Pro V1
( with the outstanding compressor code from Michael Olsen )

Jan

michael2 wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:So say someone wants to uninstall pace and ilok, is it easy?
It does'nt entrench itself in your computer after does it?
there is a document with ilok that tells you how to uninstall. I did it once on my last computer and it was fine, no traces left over. FWIW: PACE/ilok has caused absolutely no problems on my computer or any of my old computers. don't want to say that people are blowing things out of proportion, but maybe it's a PC thing.
Well, it depends.
If you've just started to use Pace, You may very well be able to get rid of it.
But it surely is not just hitting 'uninstall'.

It can be a nightmare, if You have used many of it's incarnations for years.
Residues from older installs can cause all sorts of problems,
like not being able to install the current version.

... and no, it's not a just PC thing.
The recent disaster shut down many Mac based studios.
ProTools11 on Mac was not usable for some days.

And yes, everyone can decide, whether he wants to risk using Pace.
To make an educated decision, he needs to know the facts.
Otherwise, he will be caught off guard, when all Pace plugins stop working, with the next disaster.
If You depend on these plugins for your daily work, it's mandatory to make complete system backups,
before touching anything Pace !
( Though, that will not help, if your iLok breaks and You may be without your plugins for weeks
or have to pay 100+$ to get them back, fast )

Jan

So, no USB dongle required. That was my number one concern -- especially since the special dongle was costly.

Does the iLok Plugin Manager have to running to run the plugins? If so, what resources does it consume?

the iLok manager is only required to manage licenses. The iLok drive takes care of the rest (being a driver it runs invisibly in the background).

Since iLok is used by a huge number of world class producers, I don't think these concerns about system performance are anything to worry about ... really ...
... space is the place ...

All this protections\iLocks\Plugin managers\USB dongle break my balls...
What matter to put a protection in a free product???
Years ago I bought\used H3000 and other hardware products without have an accont but i spend my money for this (good) products, this called RESPECT... I could do account and other boring things if I need assistence but in this circumstance is absurd...

Turello wrote:All this protections\iLocks\Plugin managers\USB dongle break my balls...
What matter to put a protection in a free product???
Years ago I bought\used H3000 and other hardware products without have an accont but i spend my money for this (good) products, this called RESPECT... I could do account and other boring things if I need assistence but in this circumstance is absurd...
Because it's free now, but only temporarily.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Understand Mushy but it is even worse to do all this mess for a temporary thing... If I wanna gift you something, do by heart (as italian says!). stop

Turello wrote:Understand Mushy but it is even worse to do all this mess for a temporary thing... If I wanna gift you something, do by heart (as italian says!). stop
Ok agreed.

But then when it retails for $250 shortly, there will be thousands of versions out there without copy protection.

They're in a damned if they do, damned if they don't position.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

They'll bring out a paid upgrade soon and sell it for "half price" to registered users. That's a lot of potential $125. Bingo.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:the iLok manager is only required to manage licenses. The iLok drive takes care of the rest (being a driver it runs invisibly in the background).
Once installed, does the plugin need access to the driver whist running?

I don't know ... it must access the driver at least once to authorise the plugin when your host starts / project is loaded. How often that happens while your working in the host I don't know but it doesn't matter.

It can't be said enough - it's just paranoia. iLok might have a tiny impact on system performance, but no one using iLok is complaining about that, they're busy writing killer tunes.

Really.

It's that simple! :)
... space is the place ...

_dada_ wrote: It sounds pretty good and for free, it's hard to beat.
And if You're after retro sounds, the pitch shifter and delay,
will give you instant 80s feel.

Sadly, one of the best is no longer available -- Mixcontrol Pro V1
( with the outstanding compressor code from Michael Olsen )

Jan

Yes very much like 80's feel exactly.

Mixcontrol Pro V1 ... Would like to try. I never heard for this one.

Thanks

Endor-8o8 wrote:You're all talking about how much Ilok/Pace is "intrusive", how many of you have a FB profile ?
Come on, is there anyone who can discuss just the Ultrachannel sound and details please...
Can the mere existence of a FB account somehow use CPU cycles or RAM while you are recording?
Not really. There is nothing equivalent between personal information and use of computing resources....

I don't want the PACE junk on my machine, but I registered with ilok and obtained a license. I will never install or use it until Eventide one day decides to ditch PACE, if they do. But, I have the license in case they come to their senses.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Aural Chaos wrote:
Endor-8o8 wrote:You're all talking about how much Ilok/Pace is "intrusive", how many of you have a FB profile ?
Come on, is there anyone who can discuss just the Ultrachannel sound and details please...
Can the mere existence of a FB account somehow use CPU cycles or RAM while you are recording?
Not really. There is nothing equivalent between personal information and use of computing resources....
My Pace background activity shows a little pop of 0.3% (and then go back to 0%) when I load Ultrachannel (and same thing with a bunch of other Ilok plugs) on a track in Reaper (Win 8.1/64bit). Hold on, I think my i7 is about to blow up... :lol:
Come on guys we're not on Pentium II anymore...

Return to “Effects”