Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
PeterL
KVRian

1395 posts since 27 Mar, 2002, from Austria

Postby PeterL; Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:45 am Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

No love for Ian Shepherd's Perception ?
It's not cheap, but it's one of the most useful plugins I've ever bought.
I saw/heard such a function the first time in Wavelab8, then in Ozone5, later in SlickEQ(AutoGain), now as universal VST plugin.
You won't believe how much just a little amount of volume difference can fool your ears, expecially when using compressors.
kenobi77
KVRist

302 posts since 8 Oct, 2012

Postby kenobi77; Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:33 am Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

I did see this when it was first released but had since forgotten about it.

I was surprised when I first discovered how much even slight volume differences make to our perception and try to gain match but this is quite a bit of hassle

Do you find the gain matching quite accurate? I understand it's based on the EBU standards

Do you use on single channels or just the mix bus?
PeterL
KVRian

Postby PeterL; Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:54 am Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

kenobi77 wrote:Do you find the gain matching quite accurate? I understand it's based on the EBU standards
Do you use on single channels or just the mix bus?

Yes, quite accurate (EBU loudness/peak to RMS ratio match), imo more precise to my ears than Wavelab's IntelliBypass which is based on pure RMS matching.
I tested on single channel, mix bus and mastering slots (StudioOne2), works fine on all.

BTW, today/friday is the last day to get it discounted, but always 60 days money back guarantee if not satisfied.
David Else
KVRist

384 posts since 9 Nov, 2004

Postby David Else; Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:07 am Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

If you own Reaper you are in luck!

http://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/ab_lm.html

Reaper forum members can give feedback and thanks here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140268
PeterL
KVRian

Postby PeterL; Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:54 am Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

David Else wrote:If you own Reaper you are in luck!

So many sliders. Isn't it a bit complicated to set it up ?
David Else
KVRist

384 posts since 9 Nov, 2004

Postby David Else; Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:29 am Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

PeterL wrote:
David Else wrote:If you own Reaper you are in luck!

So many sliders. Isn't it a bit complicated to set it up ?

There is a 'lite' version without all the sliders just released! Its very easy to use :wink:
TB-ProAudio
KVRist

350 posts since 15 May, 2014, from Germany

Postby TB-ProAudio; Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:26 am Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

There also a possibility to use such scripts outside Reaper: there is a free set of (Reaper) vst plugins.
which includes the plugin "ReaJS" which could run reaper scripts outside Reaper.
But: you need o install latest beta version x32 or x64.

Hope this helps: :wink:
Cheers
Thomas
TB-ProAudio
KVRist

Postby TB-ProAudio; Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:03 am Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

Just tested latest set of scripts with Cubase 7.5 x64, Windows 7: works perfectly smooth, even the plugin delay measurement :D

Cheers
Thomas
fx_g
KVRer

2 posts since 14 Jun, 2014

Postby fx_g; Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:23 pm Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

Thomas,

The Perception plugin level-matches but also allows instant bypass of all plugins, do your scripts do this too ? I can't tell from the screenshot.

fx
fx_g
KVRer

2 posts since 14 Jun, 2014

Postby fx_g; Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:28 pm Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

Oh I just saw it looks as if they do. Cool !
UltimateOutsider
KVRian

717 posts since 4 Oct, 2009, from Portland, OR

Postby UltimateOutsider; Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:30 pm Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

The Perception thing does exactly what it's supposed to, and couldn't be easier to use. Super useful on the master bus. I've also used it a couple times out of curiosity to try to figure out exactly what certain FX plugins are doing to the sound. Thumbs up.
PeterL
KVRian

Postby PeterL; Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:18 pm Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

While I tested this plugin with some equalizers on a few reference songs I was impressed how frightening good some mastering engineers do their job, where I failed to improve them just a single bit.
Rah
KVRist

455 posts since 30 May, 2013, from Space is the Place

Postby Rah; Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:22 pm Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

There's no demo?
TB-ProAudio
KVRist

Postby TB-ProAudio; Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:18 pm Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

fx_g wrote:Thomas,

The Perception plugin level-matches but also allows instant bypass of all plugins, do your scripts do this too ? I can't tell from the screenshot.

fx

Well, i have not tested Perception plugin i can only speak for "AB Level Matching JSFX for Reaper":

Finally the script(s) offer a crackle free and true loudness AB comparison of original and processed signal, even across busses

In detail:
- Loudness matching based on (infinite integrated) RMS
- buildin plugin delay compensation (PDC), thanks to automatic and sample-exact measurement
- optional ITU-R BS.1770-2 Pre filter
- up to 32 plugin pairs in parallel
- display of all relevant audio statistics (RMS Int, RMS Max, Peak, True Peak, Crest ...)
- graphical display of loudness distribution (original and processed signal)
- to be used with Reaper (WIN/OSX, x32 and x64) and in any other DAW with help of ReaPlugs VSTs (V2.2 Beta and higher)(WIN, x32 and x64)
- for more details just see the manual.
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

4966 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:54 am Re: Perception (Level Matching) Plugin

This is a great concept, just too expensive for my taste. I have a feeling other developers are going to put out similar plugs at a lower cost. I can wait.

It would be great if more developers started building good auto gain into their plugins a la SlickEQ or VTM. It's so useful and really speeds things up.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects