Ohmicide vs. Maul

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i heared a lot and i have ohmicide but didnt use it much yet, that ohmicide is still one of the best multi-band distortion plugins, as i read maul is also one of those i ask myself how is it compared to ohmicide? good alternative? recommended if you got ohmicide already? im interested in your opinions :)!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I downloaded a trial of Ohmicide. Great sounding but one of the worst user interfaces I've ever seen (just my opinion, of course). FXpansion has great UIs. I've never tried Ohmicide, but Etch is brilliant in that department. If I didn't already have Saturn, I'd be all over the current sale price of $50 USD for Maul.

You can't beat FXpansion's modulation system.

Phase47 wrote:You can't beat FXpansion's modulation system.
meh... Fabfilter's modulation system (IMO - of course) beats it easily.

Not that they don't have room for improvement too, but subtle modulation on Fxpansion is not always easily detectable and that's something that bothers me (since I like to tweak my presets as I use them and not quickly recognizing modulated parameters can delay workflow).

I also have ohmicide and also don't use it that much (but having bought it for $29 this time around, I feel okay about that). I also picked up Saturn recently, and now I don't use much else when I want saturation/distortion.

Anyway, I know that's not a direct comparison to Maul, but when I demoed Maul after it's initial release I didn't hear anything special. Even AudioDamage's Kombinat has a special sound that doesn't overlap (which I can only describe as a plastic like effect, which should make no sense to anyone who hasn't used it, and maybe even to those who have used it).

If you're looking to pick up another effect similar to other tools you already have, it should include one or all of the following: A) Speed up workflow B) Sound unique C) Get you laid (sorry just didn't have something for C).

Definitely demo it if you're looking to pick it up at sale price, but my advice would be to go back to Ohmicide, or pick up Saturn or Kombinat (if you like it's sound).

Maul is my go-to for single band tasks, but I really dislike its sound in multiband mode. The crossover filters are... well, try the demo and listen. Phase issues a-go-go. No good at all for anything subtle in multiband mode. I guess it wouldn't be such an issue for more extreme sound design tasks, but then Ohmicide is my go-to for that as the algorithms it offers can sound much more outlandish. In single band mode I love Maul, but in all honesty I might not have bothered if Single Mault had been available when I picked it up during the intro period. I think Single Mault is still available on a few mag coverdiscs.

Ohmicide is great in single band mode too of course. I'm really fond of how some of the algorithms behave when you feed it material with a noise floor (the track Boiler Room on my Soundcloud abuses this behaviour - Ohmicide on the master :help: )

I also own Kombinat Dva but I haven't used it in years. Haven't even installed it on my new machine to be honest. Ought to give it another look.

cron wrote:I also own Kombinat Dva but I haven't used it in years. Haven't even installed it on my new machine to be honest. Ought to give it another look.
It can be really nice on bass sounds when needing to create a different feel or separation.

I actually bought and sold my copy twice (both times before the Dva version) and still wish I had it back. The problem for me is that I wouldn't use it everyday... just on occasions when I want that sound.

dmbaer wrote:Great sounding but one of the worst user interfaces I've ever seen (just my opinion, of course).
I'm going to have to agree with you. Funny thing is that it's actually one of the most beautiful interfaces to look at. Just one of the worst interfaces to actually use for some reason. :lol: I still think it's a great multiband distortion though. Just a pain in the ass to use. I have Saturn and it's way better to use and sounds incredible. I think it's the best multiband distortion ever. I'm totally happy with it. Never used Maul. I might check it out.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

I have both and prefer Ohmicide, for its sound. It's more versatile and does weird a lot better. Maul's still useful though and its interface is cleaner.

I'm not particularly a fan of the modulation stuff in Maul but then I don't find it particularly useful, to be honest. I'd rather modulate parameters in my sequencer than with an LFO.

This is reminding me to check out Saturn though.

foosnark wrote:I have both and prefer Ohmicide, for its sound. It's more versatile and does weird a lot better.
It does do weird better than most. It also has lot's of types to choose from.

foosnark wrote:This is reminding me to check out Saturn though.
For precision multiband distortion it's awesome.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

i mostly wanna use distortion for this kind of sound Kicks, snares etc. distorted like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sns7QhIfWoQ
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

elxsound wrote:
Fxpansion's modulation system gives you visual feedback which is extremely useful. On top of that Fxpansion's Maul is seriously more aggressive-sounding than any of Saturn's algorithms. I'm not saying that's always what you want, but it's definitely got a distinct sound. I have both, but usually end up using Maul unless I'm looking for more subtle multi band distortion. In that case, I use Saturn. :)

-Sam

masterhiggins wrote:
elxsound wrote:
Fxpansion's modulation system gives you visual feedback which is extremely useful. On top of that Fxpansion's Maul is seriously more aggressive-sounding than any of Saturn's algorithms. I'm not saying that's always what you want, but it's definitely got a distinct sound. I have both, but usually end up using Maul unless I'm looking for more subtle multi band distortion. In that case, I use Saturn. :)

-Sam
Visual feedback, but again, for subtle modulation it will look like nothing is modulated. That's my gripe with their system.

I wish Fabfilter would add visual feedback. That would be a nice touch in addition to what's already there, but even without it, it's still (IMO) far more useful than the modulation fxpansion utilizes across there products.

Satun can be pushed pretty damn hard. Don't forget that you can increase the input and lower the output for even more extreme settings (a nice thing to do on Volcano too).

But back to the topic... Ohmicide has aggressiveness covered. There are far more choices in Ohmicide compared to Maul, which sometimes can make it more difficult to use quickly, but again Ohmicide has that covered.

i demo'ed maul now a bit and somehow i find the sound less aggressive than ohmicide? can it be? maybe im just sleepy atm but somehow ohmicide seemed much more aggressive, crispier than maul, which sounded more rounded and nice.

dmbaer wrote:I downloaded a trial of Ohmicide. Great sounding but one of the worst user interfaces I've ever seen (just my opinion, of course). FXpansion has great UIs. I've never tried Ohmicide, but Etch is brilliant in that department. If I didn't already have Saturn, I'd be all over the current sale price of $50 USD for Maul.
Where is it $50? I didn't see it on sale at the fxpansion site.

Have you tried Devastor? Sounds great on drums.

Return to “Effects”