SlickEQ "Gentleman's Edition" - Released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ GE

FabienTDR wrote:Vlad had the idea to add a German/Brazilian mode to our next compressor.. ..with a fixed 7:1 ratio. ;)
I'd prefer a German/Argentinian mode with (hopefully) a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio...let's not get greedy here :wink:

xtrax wrote:
My new presets for two most used eq's:

Neve 1081
<TDRVOSSlickEQGE lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="56" lowBandShapeParam="Off" lowBandLagParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="270" midBandShapeParam="Off" highBandGainParam="0.0" highBandFreqParam="8187" highBandShapeParam="On" eqModelParam="British" eqSatParam="On" lpBypassParam="On" lpFreqParam="40000" lpModeParam="Steep" hpBypassParam="On" hpFreqParam="10" hpModeParam="Normal" tiltFreqParam="650" tiltValueParam="0.0" tiltBypassParam="On" tiltTypeParam="Normal" outSatModelParam="Silky" outSatDriveParam="18.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="Off" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off"/>

SSL E Channel
<TDRVOSSlickEQGE lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="270" lowBandShapeParam="On" lowBandLagParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="2954" midBandShapeParam="Off" highBandGainParam="0.0" highBandFreqParam="8006" highBandShapeParam="On" eqModelParam="British" eqSatParam="On" lpBypassParam="On" lpFreqParam="40000" lpModeParam="Smooth" hpBypassParam="On" hpFreqParam="10" hpModeParam="Normal" tiltFreqParam="650" tiltValueParam="0.0" tiltBypassParam="On" tiltTypeParam="Normal" outSatModelParam="Toasted" outSatDriveParam="18.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="Off" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off"/>

:party:
Hey Xtrax,

great presets. Couple of questions though:

How closely are they "modelling" the devices they refer to by name? What is your way of matching the frequency response, curves, harmonic distortion...? Are they usable in the basic version of Slick EQ (the free one)?

To the developers who created Slick EQ: wow, it's such an amazing, easy to use yet sophisticated equalizer, especially with those well thought out and almost unique features like autogain. Keep cooperating and inventing clever tools for the music world!

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Hey Xtrax,

great presets. Couple of questions though:

How closely are they "modelling" the devices they refer to by name? What is your way of matching the frequency response, curves, harmonic distortion...? Are they usable in the basic version of Slick EQ (the free one)?

To the developers who created Slick EQ: wow, it's such an amazing, easy to use yet sophisticated equalizer, especially with those well thought out and almost unique features like autogain. Keep cooperating and inventing clever tools for the music world!

Thanks.

Did you missed those?

GE Edition:
Oxford Type II

<TDRVOSSlickEQGE lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="80" lowBandShapeParam="Off" lowBandLagParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="500" midBandShapeParam="On" highBandGainParam="0.0" highBandFreqParam="7994" highBandShapeParam="On" eqModelParam="British" eqSatParam="On" lpBypassParam="On" lpFreqParam="30010" lpModeParam="Steep" hpBypassParam="On" hpFreqParam="10" hpModeParam="Normal" tiltFreqParam="650" tiltValueParam="0.0" tiltBypassParam="On" tiltTypeParam="Normal" outSatModelParam="Excited" outSatDriveParam="15.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="Off" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="On"/>đ

GE Edition

Trident A range

<TDRVOSSlickEQGE lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="80" lowBandShapeParam="Off" lowBandLagParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="700" midBandShapeParam="Off" highBandGainParam="0.0" highBandFreqParam="3965" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="American" eqSatParam="On" lpBypassParam="On" lpFreqParam="40000" lpModeParam="Steep" hpBypassParam="On" hpFreqParam="10" hpModeParam="Normal" tiltFreqParam="650" tiltValueParam="0.0" tiltBypassParam="On" tiltTypeParam="Normal" outSatModelParam="Mellow" outSatDriveParam="12.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="Off" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="On"/>

GE Edition 1073

<TDRVOSSlickEQGE lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="110" lowBandShapeParam="Off" lowBandLagParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="360" midBandShapeParam="Off" highBandGainParam="0.0" highBandFreqParam="9990" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="German" eqSatParam="On" lpBypassParam="Off" lpFreqParam="25030" lpModeParam="Smooth" hpBypassParam="On" hpFreqParam="80" hpModeParam="Bump" tiltFreqParam="3000" tiltValueParam="-0.7" tiltBypassParam="On" tiltTypeParam="Normal" outSatModelParam="Silky" outSatDriveParam="18.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="Off" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="On"/>

Keep the Hi Cut filter always on this settings, and keep the tilt ON on this setting.

I matching them by ear, I have my own system of doing it.
Of course they are not identical like those originals, and they cannot be because Slick EQ is limited with curves on different models that have different behaviors. But anyway it can be similar color that have some of the properties of originals. Sometimes I really prefer Slick EQ over those originals because it is perfectly balanced. I mean analog gear have non linearities all over the scale that some developers actually reproducing, like smoothing some part of hi mids or high end or deep bass e.t.c.
You can put them side by side with modeled eq's and will sound pretty close (if you match the curves with help of Tilt section).
Those are just colors that are very useable when you have presets like eq styles. Time saver, I mean.

Also these presets are not for the free version. Free version is a bit different with different internal routing that is why GE edition is superior in sound. I think this eq on clean sounds better that the most of the best ones IMO.

Just look what Jantex wrote about this one. I really respect Jantex like a man with very good ear, after all those years on GS.
Jantex wrote:This EQ really stands out. It has the best auto gain function and soundwise IMHO stomps over EQuilibrium. It also is very quick to use. I consider it the best sounding ITB EQ for mixing and mastering...and at 30 EUR I feel like I stole it :)

Jantex wrote:I am really surprised this one got overlooked in a way that the thread has been inactive for the last 4 days and only has a few pages of comments. If it was made by Wait Digital it would probably already had 1000 pages of replies :)

It is not that I just want to bump the thread, but really let people know about it and to give it a try. This one really is no BS no hype but pure sonic heaven EQ. HP and LP filters are so precise and so smooth. IMHO they stomp all over other digital filters apart from The Drop.

Just look what mastering engineers saying about SlickEQ HPF

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/masterin ... nch-4.html

is this a clean or character eq? still looking for a solid all purpose eq.

:edit:

If your mix needs some surgical deep cuts then green is the way to go
The main EQ section not only adds a steeper curve option for all EQ models in general but also a completely new and surgical EQ model called “Japanese” which appears in green UI colors. Both, peak and shelving filters are carefully designed to have just local effects (frequency wise) and not to impact the overall and uncorrelated frequency spectrum.

so, even though i said the slick eq did not click with, these new ge edition seems to be exactly what im looking for. no nodes/splines, easy to use with hidden depth. i think this is it. so do i pull the trigger?

AstralExistence wrote:is this a clean or character eq? still looking for a solid all purpose eq.
:ud:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:is this a clean or character eq? still looking for a solid all purpose eq.
:ud:
i hear you, but i want to make sure, since this is the second time ive asked about eq recommendations and just as im about to buy an eq, i hear, "no, that's a coloring eq, you want a clean eq" :dog: so then i don't buy it and then im back to looking for an eq :(

Don't go into the "Clean" vs "Coloring" battlefield. that's my advise. you'd curse yourself for doing so.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

AstralExistence wrote:is this a clean or character eq?
In "Linear" mode it is as clean as possible.
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

vladg wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:is this a clean or character eq?
In "Linear" mode it is as clean as possible.

cheers! i think this may be the eq for me.

Tp3 wrote:Don't go into the "Clean" vs "Coloring" battlefield. that's my advise. you'd curse yourself for doing so.

that's very helpful advice.

from my other thread,

"Seems like the OP doesn't know about EQs much. How can you choose between, say, DDMF EQPro and VOS slick EQ? Those are for different tasks..."

what is slick eq ge for?

It's a "versatile" EQ, in that it can do both clean and coloured (and everything in between) extremely well:

Ultra clean - German curves, no EQ SAT, Linear Out Stage

Everything in between...

Ultra dirty/saturated/colourful - Japanese curves, EQ SAT on, Toasted Out Stage at +18dB

Hermetech Mastering wrote:It's a "versatile" EQ, in that it can do both clean and coloured (and everything in between) extremely well:

Everything in between...

Ultra dirty/saturated/colourful - Japanese curves, EQ SAT on, Toasted Out Stage at +18dB
i understand, so opinions are like assholes, everybody has one :D you have convinced me. especially with a name like hermetech 'mastering' off to buy.

AstralExistence wrote:
Hermetech Mastering wrote:It's a "versatile" EQ, in that it can do both clean and coloured (and everything in between) extremely well:

Everything in between...

i understand, so opinions are like assholes, everybody has one :D you have convinced me. especially with a name like hermetech 'mastering' off to buy.
:) The thing is, those EQs like DDMF Pro are also used for surgical cuts (along with other stuff), it's just easier to do this with them. SlickEq is more "mojo" like EQ. You still can cut with it, of course.

i went with slick eq ge. cheers.

Return to “Effects”