SlickEQ "Gentleman's Edition" - Released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ GE

@David: Yes, this application was one of the motivations behind Phi (not the only). It also does something similar to (parts of) the BBE sonic maximizer, it can correct phase issues during recording/mix were polarity switches don't help and also offers an easy to use, second "colour" for the low frequency band section during normal operation. Not bad for a small knob. ;)

About vocal phase rotation, All you need to do is set the frequency at 100-300Hz and activate Phi. Phi is a relatively strong allpass filter ("a chain of"), but it's well worth experimenting with two instances as well.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Ok, I apologize in advance because hopelessly off topic.....but......any chance for making 64 bit versions of the VOS stuff? :) Pretty please :)

I've used the free version of the plugin for the first time on some kick drum processing. Just a little scoop on the mids and a small raise in the low freqs, and I was like "WOW". This plugin is definitely on the shopping list guys! :D

May replace my Pultec emulations I think. Great job guys! + 1 for the mac audio unit! ;)

PS are you guys entering the DC Challenge '14?

@LAGinz: I can't really speak for Herbert, but he mentioned several times he won't. Being a true creator, I'm pretty sure he'll work on new ideas instead!

@E-KL!PSE: Glad you like! I won't, for a lack of time. But Vlad and Herbert? I don't know.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

vladg wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
vladg wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Are you bringing out a separate (presumably pink) version for da ladies?
We need a bunch of ladies for beta team first. :-)
Presumably none of your target market are female then?
We're targeting professionals first. Regarding design, I see ladies edition not pink but with Scandinavian design look, you know light colors, light straight lines and so on. But I don't have any ideas about which features are required. Maybe less scientific overall operation? We definitively have to have a consultant in this area but no plans for ladies edition yet :-)
vladg, with all due respect for building a fantastic eq – what is this bs supposed to mean?

zerobae wrote:
vladg wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
vladg wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Are you bringing out a separate (presumably pink) version for da ladies?
We're targeting professionals first. Regarding design, I see ladies edition not pink but with Scandinavian design look, you know light colors, light straight lines and so on. But I don't have any ideas about which features are required. Maybe less scientific overall operation? We definitively have to have a consultant in this area but no plans for ladies edition yet :-)
vladg, with all due respect for building a fantastic eq – what is this bs supposed to mean?
I was just kidding :-)

But the serious part of this post was, how do the people see some future version of this project, it may has some draft name like "SlickEQ LE" for example. I'm for linear phase operational mode (Linear phase edition) but actually we don't have plans yet.
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

E-KL!PSE wrote:I've used the free version of the plugin for the first time on some kick drum processing. Just a little scoop on the mids and a small raise in the low freqs, and I was like "WOW". This plugin is definitely on the shopping list guys! :D

May replace my Pultec emulations I think. Great job guys! + 1 for the mac audio unit! ;)

PS are you guys entering the DC Challenge '14?
I used UAD Pultec a lot before SlickEQ. I like the sound of old UAD Pultec EQP-1a (not the latest one), and by the way it does linear processing, e.g. no harmonics or tube/transformer saturation added and it sounds great. I don't like the lack of high-pass and unpredictable (for me) bands behavior (it's not the problem of modelling plugin itself). Now I prefer SlickEQ.

Honestly I didn't spend as much time with SlickEQ GE as I did with basic SlickEQ, the tilt part was tricky for me first time because I never used tilt EQs before but now it's real fun for me to adjust tilt and high-pass/low-pass and low-shelf/high-shelf bands at the same time or to use 3 bells against v-shape filter.

Yeah, I'm preparing my own DC14 contribution.

vladg wrote:

But the serious part of this post was, how do the people see some future version of this project, it may has some draft name like "SlickEQ LE" for example. I'm for linear phase operational mode (Linear phase edition) but actually we don't have plans yet.
but that's exactly my beef with what you said – that the ladies' version would have to be the light version – of course! "less scientific", so them ladies could use it too i suppose? i found the name "slick eq gentleman's edition" quite funny in a tongue in cheek way, but i'm not so sure about tongue in cheek anymore. seems rather dim now.

here is something elektron posted just today, may be an interesting read to you:
http://www.elektronauts.com/talk/view/59

zerobae wrote:
vladg wrote:

but that's exactly my beef with what you said – that the ladies' version would have to be the light version – of course! "less scientific", so them ladies could use it too i suppose? i found the name "slick eq gentleman's edition" quite funny in a tongue in cheek way, but i'm not so sure about tongue in cheek anymore. seems rather dim now.

here is something elektron posted just today, may be an interesting read to you:
For me, SlickEQ is a scientific tool because I am forced to turn its knobs and to look at exact values. How to turn it to 1.5 kHz area? I'm forced to constantly rotate the knob and to look at value changed until something like 1523 Hz on display. Personally I don't need to know exact value, knowing the area of value range is enough. I'm not for stepped controls though. Also for me linear phase EQs have less "heavy" sound than min-phase ones. These things can lead to a version with lighter perception. That's what I'm thinking about.

Really interesting interview indeed.

vladg wrote:
zerobae wrote:
vladg wrote:

For me, SlickEQ is a scientific tool because I am forced to turn its knobs and to look at exact values. How to turn it to 1.5 kHz area? I'm forced to constantly rotate the knob and to look at value changed until something like 1523 Hz on display. Personally I don't need to know exact value, knowing the area of value range is enough. I'm not for stepped controls though. Also for me linear phase EQs have less "heavy" sound than min-phase ones. These things can lead to a version with lighter perception. That's what I'm thinking about.

Really interesting interview indeed.
I don't get it. Why are you forced to look at the values. Closing your eyes and just listening doesn't work?

Knowing exact values can be helpful, when surgically cutting resonances or when automating high Qs with high boosts to let the EQ "sing" ;) In all other cases just look somewhere else :D
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

deft_bonz wrote: I don't get it. Why are you forced to look at the values. Closing your eyes and just listening doesn't work?

Knowing exact values can be helpful, when surgically cutting resonances or when automating high Qs with high boosts to let the EQ "sing" ;) In all other cases just look somewhere else :D
I can't operate both 2 knobs (gain & freq) with eyes closed. You know, my way in UI is to use scales around all knobs

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u3trzuxMrCE/U ... apture.PNG

BTW, I can operate with eyes closed with drag&drop EQ (and I'm really doing it) because in this case you move mouse in 2 axis. Actually I always have axis and parameter values off on my ReaEQ:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFMLp5cCEAEQLOK.jpg:large

vladg wrote:
zerobae wrote:
vladg wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
vladg wrote:

I wasn't, the serious point of my post is the name sucks, I personally would not feel comfortable supporting a product that appears to target only half the population (however tongue in cheekedly that may be presented).
Last edited by aMUSEd on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vladg wrote:
deft_bonz wrote: I don't get it. Why are you forced to look at the values. Closing your eyes and just listening doesn't work?

I can't operate both 2 knobs (gain & freq) with eyes closed. You know, my way in UI is to use scales around all knobs

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u3trzuxMrCE/U ... apture.PNG

BTW, I can operate with eyes closed with drag&drop EQ (and I'm really doing it) because in this case you move mouse in 2 axis. Actually I always have axis and parameter values off on my ReaEQ:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFMLp5cCEAEQLOK.jpg:large
I understand now :D

You might use MIDI controllers for that. If you already know a range where you want to work, you can even limit the range where the MIDI values 0 - 127 will be assigned to. This way you can increase the resolution, if needed. E.g. 0 - 127 = 300 - 700 Hz
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

aMUSEd wrote: I wasn't, the serious point of my post is the name sucks, I personally would not feel comfortable supporting a product that appears to target only half the population (however tongue in cheekedly that may be presented).
Use freeware version then, no problems. Freeware version targets two halfs of the population.

If you want my opinion, I dislike "professional" word in any product name. If a product has generic and "professional" version, I always don't feel myself comfortable using "Pro" version :-)

Good answer

Return to “Effects”