SlickEQ "Gentleman's Edition" - Released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ GE

Words "Gentleman's Edition" are actually about software piracy. I mean developers and users of this payed plugin have some kind of "gentlemen agreement" that developers don't fulfill the plugin with mind-blowing copy protection schemes and users just follow the license. I think Fabien already wrote about this concept somewhere, maybe it'd be better to copy it in this thread too...
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

aMUSEd wrote:I wasn't, the serious point of my post is the name sucks, I personally would not feel comfortable supporting a product that appears to target only half the population (however tongue in cheekedly that may be presented).
Well, from the PR point of view, it definitely seems to have an effect: ppl think and talk about it. This is good. ;)

It's no secret that only 1% of our target audience is female. The 1% knocking at our door are surely emancipated enough to understand the point and focus on engineering value and great support instead.

You'll find many well established, or "politically correct" uses of the term: "Gentleman's agreement", "Ladies and Gentlemen" and "Gentleman Scientist" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman_scientist).

We found the term to offer fuel for filling forums with pointless gender discussions, it's easily memorized and SEOed, it greatly describes our business model (see gentleman scientist above) and also greatly describes the end-user still willing to pay for good work in the digital era. It's a wink in all directions.

If you don't feel well, just call it "GE"
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

FabienTDR wrote:If you don't feel well, just call it "GE"
Ahhh... but that would imply that the target audience are those people who are in search of Energy, Technology Infrastructure, Capital Finance as well as Consumer and Industrial, while all other would be left alone, in the dark (read: with our native EQs).

(j/k, of course :D - this argument is kinda stupid, me thinks... :shrug: )

I have a song for this EQ.

It's called "My Rack, My Track" (ladies edition):

Just do it, do it, do it, do it, do it now
(s)lick it good, track this Oomphi, just like you should
Right now, (s)lick it good
Track this Oomphi just like you should

My rack, my back,
(s)lick my Oomphi and my track
My rack, my back,
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:
FabienTDR wrote:If you don't feel well, just call it "GE"
Ahhh... but that would imply that the target audience are those people who are in search of Energy, Technology Infrastructure, Capital Finance as well as Consumer and Industrial, while all other would be left alone, in the dark (read: with our native EQs).

(j/k, of course :D - this argument is kinda stupid, me thinks... :shrug: )

I have a song for this EQ.

It's called "My Rack, My Track" (ladies edition):

Just do it, do it, do it, do it, do it now
(s)lick it good, track this Oomphi, just like you should
Right now, (s)lick it good
Track this Oomphi just like you should

My rack, my back,
My rack, my back,

Sounds like this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuSQ764RiJI

We can extend our naming concept in future releases. For example with colors. Or sizes. Imagine "Big edition" (for $50) and "Small edition" (freeware). Or "Big's edition" sounds better? :-)
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

Or do it like the gaming industry and start releasing unfinished stuff (only 25% of expected core fuctions, lots of bugs, early alpha stage) for full price and then start releasing a ridiculous amount of "totally awesome" DLCs (minimum of 30+ for the next two years) like new colour schemes, new curves, a cat as a logo...you could even charge them for a updated changelog. As long as it comes as a "totally awesome" DLC.

Or forget everything I wrote and start with an "in eq" currency and make an item shop.

Anyways, congratulations to the whole team. Looking forward in getting mine next month.

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Halma wrote:Or do it like the gaming industry and start releasing unfinished stuff (only 25% of expected core fuctions, lots of bugs, early alpha stage) for full price and then start releasing a ridiculous amount of "totally awesome" DLCs (minimum of 30+ for the next two years) like new colour schemes, new curves, a cat as a logo...you could even charge them for a updated changelog. As long as it comes as a "totally awesome" DLC.

Or forget everything I wrote and start with an "in eq" currency and make an item shop.

Anyways, congratulations to the whole team. Looking forward in getting mine next month.

Regards
Sebastian

An in-EQ-shop where you can buy different EQ-models. Better: you have to rent the EQ-models and pay per hour :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's interesting how such models work in the game industry generating lotsa money, but in the music business, you'd be out of business before you even start it.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

deft_bonz wrote:
Halma wrote:Or do it like the gaming industry and start releasing unfinished stuff (only 25% of expected core fuctions, lots of bugs, early alpha stage) for full price and then start releasing a ridiculous amount of "totally awesome" DLCs (minimum of 30+ for the next two years) like new colour schemes, new curves, a cat as a logo...you could even charge them for a updated changelog. As long as it comes as a "totally awesome" DLC.

Regards
Sebastian

An in-EQ-shop where you can buy different EQ-models. Better: you have to rent the EQ-models and pay per hour :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's interesting how such models work in the game industry generating lotsa money, but in the music business, you'd be out of business before you even start it.
IK has a shop which could be considered DLC, and Waves expects you to pay a yearly fee.
Granted, it's not the same, but it's getting close.

xtrax wrote:
Tp3 wrote:I have a song for this EQ.

It's called ...

Sounds like this!
Hey !
That is pure theft.... I do not agree ! :uhuhuh:

Y'know... sometimes I simply envy the HW guys... they don't have to "prove" anything...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Please can someone say if there are any differences between the freeware and gentlemen edition in terms of cpu usage?

Thanks
rabbit in a hole

Sendy wrote:
vladg wrote:We're targeting professionals first. Regarding design, I see ladies edition not pink but with Scandinavian design look, you know light colors, light straight lines and so on. But I don't have any ideas about which features are required. Maybe less scientific overall operation? We definitively have to have a consultant in this area but no plans for ladies edition yet :-)
No. Just no.
Well said Sendy :tu:
Only on KVR could we have a thread that discusses doing a 'ladies edition' of a 'Gentlemans Edition', but with a pink (or otherwise) GUI :? :dog: :roll:

As one of the previously mentioned 1% - if you did plan to do a 'ladies edition', I wouldn't even consider it unless it could do as a bare minimum:
  • 1 Put up shelves that stay put up
    2 Puts the toilet seat down when it has finished
:P

BTW, shouldn't it have been Gentlemens' Edition, or is only one bloke allowed to own it ?

RockinLily wrote:
Sendy wrote:
vladg wrote:We're targeting professionals first. Regarding design, I see ladies edition not pink but with Scandinavian design look, you know light colors, light straight lines and so on. But I don't have any ideas about which features are required. Maybe less scientific overall operation? We definitively have to have a consultant in this area but no plans for ladies edition yet :-)
No. Just no.
Well said Sendy :tu:
Only on KVR could we have a thread that discusses doing a 'ladies edition' of a 'Gentlemans Edition', but with a pink (or otherwise) GUI :? :dog: :roll:
Well the pink thing was intended satirically (you know as in Swift's 'Modest Proposal') - to highlight the overall absurdity (maybe I should have added smilies?) I thought it was clear though that I share your sentiments (and Sendy's).

How about an LB edition for lady boys, definitely an untapped market in the plugin world!!!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Autobot wrote:Please can someone say if there are any differences between the freeware and gentlemen edition in terms of cpu usage?

Thanks
GE CPU load is minimally higher because of the additional features (as long you are using them).
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

isn't painting the "ladies edition" pink pretty much solidifies gender stereotypes?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Return to “Effects”