Best reverb, for all jobs? (ongoing process)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic

hibidy wrote:Altaverb is x64?
Yup.
The future exists in all directions.

Cool thanks. Probably won't go that high for my needs, but I wanted all the info I could get :)

Valhalla Room and Vintage!
Space Designer in Logic is wonderful too.

I do like Aether but you really can't use many instances in real time. Who wants to bounce audio over and over again?

When I run verbs, I run a couple on returns and add to taste.

I noticed a couple of ooopsies with the Hofa. A, there are some funny issues when using it and panning. Looks like there is a workaround with using the position button (which they called.......POS.......:hihi: ) but it's not ideal. Also, I've seen some people complain about the redrawing and today I did have a problem with the "3-d" image doing that. ALSO, I ran into a thing where if the GUI is up, long long IR's "drop out" from time to time. HOWEVER, if you don't have the GUI open, it will go away. I wonder if it has to do with the little thing at the bottom that informs you of how many days you have left for the demo?

Anyways, I think that is what I'm leaning towards. It sounds great. But my main dealer I guess doesn't want my business anymore, and I'm not sure if I can get it in the marketplace so I may have to suffer.

Exponential Audio verbs.
Valhalla is great, but when i bought these, i no longer needed Valhalla.
PhoenixVerb and R2 and simply stunning. A step above the Lexicons.
UVI Sparkverb is the only other verb i use. It's very CPU efficient and sounds shmik.
All iLok, but thankfully Sparkverb doesn't need a dongle so can use it on the road.

Just adding another thought. I find it good myself.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr11/a ... lektor.htm
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Yeah, I have that. It's not as lush, smooth or crisp as the HOFA one. Also, looks like they'll never release if from guitar rig :shrug:

A.M. Gold wrote:hibidy do you have Valhalla Vintage?

Hold tight for the new update if you haven't tried it yet. A bunch of new algos and they are all superb. I think its his best work yet. Really hardware sounding, IMO.
Are there any public details of these new algos yet or just for beta testers?

For this case, I think you may need to try Neo Reverb, here is the link
http://www.supremepiano.com/product/reverb.html

What are you looking for in verbs? Surprised no one else asked already.

Do you want something realistic? Something clean and transparent? Colored? A classic sound or something more modern? There probably is no best overall, but if you tell us what you're looking for it can help narrow things down.

For instance, Exponential is probably not going to be the most realistic, but they've got a super clean verb, and something more colored. Probably a more modern take on a classic Lexicon sound considering who the developer is.

Valhalla has Vintage Verb which is great for classic Lexicon and EMT 250 type sounds, with some options to modernize them a bit, bit if it's not your thing, then you may prefer ValhallaRoom.

If you want realistic spaces, then check ate Acon Digital's Verberate or go the convolution route.

If i could afford it I would probably buy Altiverb because you can actually go record your own impulse responses from any space you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKuMLu5Dus
:borg:

GaryG wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:hibidy do you have Valhalla Vintage?

Hold tight for the new update if you haven't tried it yet. A bunch of new algos and they are all superb. I think its his best work yet. Really hardware sounding, IMO.
Are there any public details of these new algos yet or just for beta testers?
I'm not trying to keep stuff secret. I've just been busy.

The 6 new algorithms in VintageVerb:

- Dirty Hall: Lex 224XL style Concert Hall. Dialed in by A/Bing a Lexicon 224XL in a nice studio. Nonlinear, noise, and quantization artifacts of original 224XL emulated. 70s mode has 8 kHz cutoff of 224, 80s mode the 15 kHz cutoff of 224XL, NOW mode has no bandlimiting.
- Dirty Plate: Lex 224XL style Plate. See above.
- Smooth Plate: Rich Plate variant, with VERY smooth, transparent decay (vs the initially rough decay of the older Lexicon algorithms). This might be my favorite algorithm of all the reverb algorithms in my plugins.
- Smooth Room: Room/Rich Chamber variant, with VERY smooth decay (vs the initially rough decay of the older Lexicon algorithms).
- Smooth Random: Random Hall variant, with VERY smooth decay (vs the initially rough decay of the older Lexicon algorithms). Much quicker attack than the VintageVerb Random Space algorithm, with more initial "presence" to the sound.
- Nonlin: A gated/reverse/truncated reverb. Size controls the length, Attack varies the slope (0%: truncated, 50%: gated, 100%: reverse).

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote: The 6 new algorithms in VintageVerb:

- Dirty Hall: Lex 224XL style Concert Hall. Dialed in by A/Bing a Lexicon 224XL in a nice studio. Nonlinear, noise, and quantization artifacts of original 224XL emulated. 70s mode has 8 kHz cutoff of 224, 80s mode the 15 kHz cutoff of 224XL, NOW mode has no bandlimiting.
- Smooth Plate: Rich Plate variant, with VERY smooth, transparent decay (vs the initially rough decay of the older Lexicon algorithms). This might be my favorite algorithm of all the reverb algorithms in my plugins.
- Smooth Room: Room/Rich Chamber variant, with VERY smooth decay (vs the initially rough decay of the older Lexicon algorithms).
- Smooth Random: Random Hall variant, with VERY smooth decay (vs the initially rough decay of the older Lexicon algorithms). Much quicker attack than the VintageVerb Random Space algorithm, with more initial "presence" to the sound.
- Nonlin: A gated/reverse/truncated reverb. Size controls the length, Attack varies the slope (0%: truncated, 50%: gated, 100%: reverse).

Sean Costello
Looking forward to trying these! Would you say the Nonlin algo is comparable to the AMS RMX16's famous "Nonlin2" mode?

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

Eddie TX wrote:
valhallasound wrote: The 6 new algorithms in VintageVerb:

Sean Costello
Looking forward to trying these! Would you say the Nonlin algo is comparable to the AMS RMX16's famous "Nonlin2" mode?

Cheers,
Eddie
Similar idea, but different execution. The Nonlin2 mode seems to be a LOT simpler than what I am doing with the VintageVerb Nonlin algorithm. RMX16 Nonlin2 is also mono-in, stereo-out, while the VintageVerb version maintains a true stereo path. The VintageVerb Nonlin can get gated sounds like Nonlin2, as well as reverse and truncated reverbs. I really like the truncated reverbs with a short Size setting for adding "air" to a sound.

This isn't to say that the VintageVerb version is better than the RMX16 Nonlin2. Just different. The Nonlin2 algorithm can get pretty grainy, but this can also add a lot of excitement to a snare drum or an overhead mike.

EDIT: I forgot that I emulated the "floating point" convertors of the RMX16 in the Nonlin mode. The RMX16 used 12-bit convertors, but with 3 bits of "gain stepping" used in conjunction with this to get the equivalent dynamic range of a 15 or 16 bit convertor. This adds a fair amount of fixed point grunge to the signal, but keeps the decays fairly clean. Good for crunchy drum processing.

Sean Costello
Last edited by valhallasound on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:What are you looking for in verbs? Surprised no one else asked already.

Do you want something realistic? Something clean and transparent? Colored? A classic sound or something more modern? There probably is no best overall, but if you tell us what you're looking for it can help narrow things down.

For instance, Exponential is probably not going to be the most realistic, but they've got a super clean verb, and something more colored. Probably a more modern take on a classic Lexicon sound considering who the developer is.

Valhalla has Vintage Verb which is great for classic Lexicon and EMT 250 type sounds, with some options to modernize them a bit, bit if it's not your thing, then you may prefer ValhallaRoom.

If you want realistic spaces, then check ate Acon Digital's Verberate or go the convolution route.
I think "realistic" is probably as good a description as any. For algo stuff, I'm pretty happy with RC 24/48. What started this was I really like "open air" from studio one but I use live more. Also, I have reflektor and reverberate but I don't care for them compared to open air. Despite the IR's, they do NOT all sound the same.

But I think I've found what I'm looking for. Hofa IQ verb. It's just a matter of some more testing, getting into contact with them over a couple of niggles, and getting the best price.

Return to “Effects”