Best reverb, for all jobs? (ongoing process)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic

So, I dl'ed the britcasti, and they are fine in the Hofa, but they won't load into the melda. Says "no suitable license found" but I thought it was fully functional?

Alright, I've played around with all I'm playing with :lol:

The Hofa sounds best. The problem is that I'm getting dropouts sometimes.

So, looks like the whole thing was for not unless I can figure out what I causing it. Updated the graphics, that didn't help but that is obviously it. 8 days of demo left so I'll still try to talk to them and see if there is a way to get things right.

Thanks for all the help, I'll change the thread title to reflect my having made up my mind.

BDeep wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:It's VVV and Room all the way for me. Oh and Eos as well which I believe Sean wrote the algos for. Having said that, I probably end up using AD ADverb more than anything else coz I have it on most of my start up templates for my DAWs.
ADverb is one of those plugins that I thought about a million times yet never ended up buying. Still has it's place next to VVV then?
Definitely. Just couldn't live without it. If you only let me have one reverb in the world, it would probably be ADverb!

Little to no CPU. Flexible and versatile. Looks great. It covers more than one base and is not a one trick pony. And it just sounds out of this world. In a 'can't really hear it till I switch it off' kind of way, which is what you want for drums and guitars etc. in the ambience dept.

It's a real workhorse. You can even crank it up and get some quite beautiful deep reverbs with it as well, on some material anyway.

VVV is more dramatic for sure, though it can be dialled down and used for emulating spaces. Room really excels at this of course by design, and it is entirely possible (in my mind at least) to do the kind of things that ADverb does, with it, but it takes longer (maybe I am just inexperienced with it all ). I guess I would call it 'underkill'.

Sometimes you don't want much reverb in a track at all. Often synths or instruments will come with some kind of built in reverb. But very often when you work with a lot of drums (which tend not to have built in reverbs on them) you are going to want something that can just create a bit of space around it. So it doesn't sound like it was recorded in a biscuit tin ((c)Bill Drummond).

Then again, I have problems telling Plates and Rooms apart, they always seem to sound similar to me whatever reverb they are coming out of. Audio Damage say it is a 'plate reverb simulation', no mention of rooms.

Whatever, it has its place in the reverb box. Stack ten of them in a mix and it barely tickles the CPU - on inserts or sends. Not the most glamorous, but the most solid, quick and dependable, like a good friend.

hibidy wrote:So, I dl'ed the britcasti, and they are fine in the Hofa, but they won't load into the melda. Says "no suitable license found" but I thought it was fully functional?
What was 'fully functional' - the Melda demo or the Bricasti IRs?

Melda is fully functional, if you are getting that, could it be coz they are proprietary? Then again, they wouldn't work in the Hofa.

I'm confused. Where did you get the Bricasti IRs from? I'll dl them and try them myself.

I have some Bricasti IRs already from somewhere I think. Along with all the Lexicon and what not - about a Gig in all. I'll have a look.

EDIT:
Ok, I'm using the free ones from here:
http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

Obviously they work fine.

I don't mind dl'ing the ones you are trying to use and see what's up.

I'm also using the SIGNALTONOIZE True M7 IRs as well.

http://rhythminmind.net/STN/?page_id=667

This is a rather flat beat I just knocked up on drumpad:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... ad-dry.mp3

I put a Melda Convo reverb on just the Kick with four bands split using four different Bricasti IRs:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... n-kick.mp3

I bring in a 'dry' drumloop, which sounds like it already has a bit of ambience on it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... op-dry.mp3

I then put a bit of ADverb on the 'dry' loop to bring it out a bit in the mix:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... n-loop.mp3

Some nice sweet and spacey reverb from Eos to lush out the synth line:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... -synth.mp3

A bit more of that Eos magic on the vocal sample (quite a bit more actually):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... on-Vox.mp3

I feel immense power using the ADverb, like I can sculpt any sonic space with the few knobs and sliders it has on its front panel. It doesn't always work, but it's rare that it doesn't.
Last edited by codec_spurt on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

I like Liquidsonics Reverberate and then there are the free Bricasti ir s from Rythmind . Quite a bunch of choices for reverb plugins . I find the ir reverb plugins are kind of samey and its up to the ir samples and use of wet and dry etc etc . I used a basic ir LV2 plugin under Linux and was happy with it . There must of been some Presonus ir s that you liked or are missing when using Live , that sucks . StudioOnes stock effects plugins are pretty nice . I'd just use Reverberate in Live and find you some ir s that you like .

fedexnman wrote:I like Liquidsonics Reverberate and then there are the free Bricasti ir s from Rythmind . Quite a bunch of choices for reverb plugins . I find the ir reverb plugins are kind of samey and its up to the ir samples and use of wet and dry etc etc . I used a basic ir LV2 plugin under Linux and was happy with it . There must of been some Presonus ir s that you liked or are missing when using Live , that sucks . StudioOnes stock effects plugins are pretty nice . I'd just use Reverberate in Live and find you some ir s that you like .

I just don't know if the IRs that are available are as high quality as something like you would get with Altiverb. I assume they are as high quality as can be for what they are if they are up on the RHYTHMINMIND site.

I actually find most IRs samey funnily enough (perhaps it's my cloth ears), and that is why I love the Melda and don't feel the need to look further. Being able to have six different band splits along the frequency spectrum and with an eq on each one - I just don't see what more an IR player could do. But I don't profess to know much about any of it.

I like Convolution, but for me, algorithmic reverbs knock it out of the water. Buy everything by Valhalla and Audio Damage (hell, even the ratshack reverb has its uses), and you will be pretty much sorted for whatever. And save a load of money.

I must admit, that Hofa interface does look rather sweet though.

Hibidy, you do know a few of us are running a secret book on which one you are going to get? Can't say for obvious reasons..

codec_spurt wrote:
hibidy wrote:So, I dl'ed the britcasti, and they are fine in the Hofa, but they won't load into the melda. Says "no suitable license found" but I thought it was fully functional?
What was 'fully functional' - the Melda demo or the Bricasti IRs?

Melda is fully functional, if you are getting that, could it be coz they are proprietary? Then again, they wouldn't work in the Hofa.

I'm confused. Where did you get the Bricasti IRs from? I'll dl them and try them myself.

I have some Bricasti IRs already from somewhere I think. Along with all the Lexicon and what not - about a Gig in all. I'll have a look.

EDIT:
Ok, I'm using the free ones from here:
http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

Obviously they work fine.

I don't mind dl'ing the ones you are trying to use and see what's up.
They work fine the Hofa, yeah, those are the ones.

codec_spurt wrote:
fedexnman wrote:I like Liquidsonics Reverberate and then there are the free Bricasti ir s from Rythmind . Quite a bunch of choices for reverb plugins . I find the ir reverb plugins are kind of samey and its up to the ir samples and use of wet and dry etc etc . I used a basic ir LV2 plugin under Linux and was happy with it . There must of been some Presonus ir s that you liked or are missing when using Live , that sucks . StudioOnes stock effects plugins are pretty nice . I'd just use Reverberate in Live and find you some ir s that you like .

I just don't know if the IRs that are available are as high quality as something like you would get with Altiverb. I assume they are as high quality as can be for what they are if they are up on the RHYTHMINMIND site.

I actually find most IRs samey funnily enough (perhaps it's my cloth ears), and that is why I love the Melda and don't feel the need to look further. Being able to have six different band splits along the frequency spectrum and with an eq on each one - I just don't see what more an IR player could do. But I don't profess to know much about any of it.

I like Convolution, but for me, algorithmic reverbs knock it out of the water. Buy everything by Valhalla and Audio Damage (hell, even the ratshack reverb has its uses), and you will be pretty much sorted for whatever. And save a load of money.

Hibidy, you do know a few of us are running a secret book on which one you are going to get? Can't say for obvious reasons..
If I can't get to the bottom of a couple of the issues I have, then which one will be "none" :hihi:

I tried all those others. The melda has poor IR's and there is no way that with 8.04 that I can use other files (I tried a bunch of wavs and none of them would load.) I can't live with none of the above, but the Hofa is so rich sounding. Maybe it's that "vintage convolution IR" hoopamalah they talked about :shrug: But the sound is the most important thing, not the interface.

hibidy wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:

If I can't get to the bottom of a couple of the issues I have, then which one will be "none" :hihi:

I tried all those others. The melda has poor IR's and there is no way that with 8.04 that I can use other files (I tried a bunch of wavs and none of them would load.) I can't live with none of the above, but the Hofa is so rich sounding. Maybe it's that "vintage convolution IR" hoopamalah they talked about :shrug: But the sound is the most important thing, not the interface.
Yeah, I guess next to the Bricasti ones they pale a bit. Not that many of them either. I didn't buy it for the IRs knowing there was enough out there that I would use anyway instead.

I don't know what is up with 8.04 - those plugins are totally totally broken on my system. The guis are very very bad, not that you can see them coz the graphics don't load half the time (gpu acceleration or not). I'm using v7 and it loads absolutely fine.

If you've come this far, uninstall v8 and get v7 from here:
DIRECT DOWNLOAD:
http://www.meldaproduction.com/download ... _setup.exe

There is absolutely no reason to be using v8 of the Melda plugins unless you like beta testing. I know they work for a lot of people, but not everyone has a lowest common denominator computer.

I won't ever be upgrading to v8 and I suppose that means I won't be buying any more NEW plugins from Melda as they won't have a v7 version. But there are enough of the other ones I want to get so it's not a problem.

Vojtech is a good guy to deal with as well, very responsive and helpful. I just don't see him solving this unholy clusterfuck with v8 any time soon. Even if they worked I wouldn't want to use them, coz I couldn't bear to look at them.

Just don't call his babies ugly!

If you can't get them to load in v7 then I don't know what. I know you have been having major probs with Studio One.

Out of curiousity, can you give me the basic spec of your computer?
CPU, Gfx card, RAM, OS etc..

If you get the stuff sorted with the Hofa and you can afford it then go for that. Looks are really important, and if you like the sound...

The Melda is very intricate and involved and half the time you just want to do something quick and simple.

Still, give it a go if you can.

I nearly forgot.

Can anyone guess what this extremely under rated reverb is?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... y-Verb.mp3

I'll give you a clue - it might be the 'smallest' reverb in the world.

I hardly ever hear anyone mention it and I found it loitering in my reverb folder, so...

Can't wait to get my mits on that Algorithmic reverb from SKnote I just bought too.

It's like reverbmania!

codec_spurt wrote: I know you have been having major probs with Studio One.

If you get the stuff sorted with the Hofa and you can afford it then go for that. Looks are really important, and if you like the sound...
I haven't had major problems with studio one, I'm just really annoyed with a few things. I hate hosts. They are a necessary evil, I think all of them could use a kick in the ass (which obviously bitwig WASN'T :roll: )

Specs? DynoMITE! i74770, 16ram, SSD for OS/libraries/focusrite saffire 14/and I run 48k/64 buffer :D Mostly it's smoooooooth.

hibidy wrote:
codec_spurt wrote: I know you have been having major probs with Studio One.

I haven't had major problems with studio one, I'm just really annoyed with a few things. I hate hosts. They are a necessary evil, I think all of them could use a kick in the ass (which obviously bitwig WASN'T :roll: )

Specs? DynoMITE! i74770, 16ram, SSD for OS/libraries/focusrite saffire 14/and I run 48k/64 buffer :D Mostly it's smoooooooth.
Oh sorry, I knew you were having spikes, which I'd call 'major problems'. Glad to hear it's mostly running smooth though. It should do with a system like that!

I'll leave it to you in my will

"last will and testament of hibidy"

"I hearby leave my i7 4770 computer to codec_spurt, may he make better music with it than I"

:hihi:

hibidy wrote:I'll leave it to you in my will

"last will and testament of hibidy"

"I hearby leave my i7 4770 computer to codec_spurt, may he make better music with it than I"

:hihi:

I'll be dead before you!

But it's the thought that counts.

(Well, dead before you choose a new bloody reverb anyway)

J/K, thassa lotta dolla. Need to make the right choice.

Btw, the mystery reverb was the Korg MDE-X. A rather lush and deep reverb that doesn't get enough credit imho.

:wink:

Return to “Effects”