Yet another Waves license horror story

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In the dead of night, I dared to fiendishly auto-update Windows 7 x64.
Today, in a fit of madness, I clicked the shortcut to unleash Cubase upon myself, when I was greeted with the following unholy statement :
"There are no Waves licenses on this computer"
It seemed as though the Waves licenses had escaped and were perhaps running rampant through the unsuspecting back lanes of Cornwall - possibly eating peoples flesh, or brains, or something ...
I knew I had to act fast, so I opened Waves License Centre (in a spooky way) and there it was before me ...
my computer ... was no longer attached to my computer.
As the waves licenses had fled, they must have caused part of my computer to develop a split personality. My computer now appeared in BOTH the attached devices AND the unattached devices simultaneously, but with different names!
Dun dun daaaaaaaaa.
It turned out that the waves licenses existed only in the mind of the unattached personality.

So long story short, I had to recover the licenses and put them on an old USB stick (of doooooom). Another hour of creative time wasted on fixing pointless copy protection that helps nobody. I now have to hope it doesn't happen again for at least a year or I'm completely fu....

Did you do any recent hardware changes to your computer? That's all I can think of.

Edit: Oh, right after an update. Dang dude... sorry. Did the update involve updates for hardware such as graphics drivers etc? If so, maybe try rolling them back, putting your licenses in the cloud, updating again, and then putting them back on?

Same here. Lost my licenses so often that I decided to just forget about Waves altogether.
I'm not heavily invested anyway.
I have several "computers" (with names my machine never had) in the license manager, no idea where it gets them from.

I hope this protection-scheme does something for them - it does nothing for me.

Uninstall, move on.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Also Same problem here...

Waves offered three options: re-purchase, wait one year to reset, or allow them to connect to my computer to access files on a business computer.

I took option 4, drop Waves and go with the competition who offers realistic support at equal or better the quality.

I'm not one to complain about a company in a forum but this is ridiculous.

I have all my licenses on a 4GB stick.

I found that selling my Waves plugins solved the problem for me :D

Cleverly, waves license centre hooks everything to your computers LAN MAC address. So when I started using an external dock they stopped working. Ace. At least I could explain that one, why it decided to stop working yesterday, I have no idea...

Soon to be uninstalled.

PatchAdamz wrote:
I took option 4, drop Waves and go with the competition who offers realistic support at equal or better the quality.

I'm not one to complain about a company in a forum but this is ridiculous.
Not that I would approve Waves method of CP in general but I'm sure that iLok (that a lot of plugins that are respective counterparts to Waves' use) tends to do a similar thing occasionally. And when this happens you can count on no support at all and the only option most likely would be only to re-purchase everything again as most of the iLok-using devs would probably recommend.

Honestly, if that kind of thing happens just patch out the CP and be done with it.
No signature here!

Armadillosound wrote:I found that selling my Waves plugins solved the problem for me :D
Indeed. Vote with wallets chaps.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Unlike ThomasHelzle I am heavily invested (bought the Gold bundle way back when) but like ThomasHelzle I gave up on them. Due to an iLok debacle.

Uninstalled - moved on.

:hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I've given up on waves products entirely, they're such a goddamn pain to install that I don't even bother. There are plenty of other good plugin providers out there that don't come entangled with such nonsense.

^ Pain? You just select the plugins and install.

I keep mine on a usb stick, no problems. Easy installation too.

Ditto on the usb stick.

Which is great - right up to the point that the USB stick stops working.

Return to “Effects”