eq to compliment dc8c2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mister Natural wrote:Glue compressor is excellent but I won't speak to your ? re: compressors; I'll stay on topic with regard to EQ and EFX in general
you can say whatever you want man in this thread. what is' 'topic' but defined conversation.

^ respect
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

AstralExistence wrote:ok i will. question, i just bought dc8c2 today should i stick with the glue, and if yes, can i use the glue on both track and master bus?

:edit:
As it's name suggests, the Glue's forte is on the master and group tracks such as a drum bus, where it is know for 'glueing' a mix together to make it sound more cohesive.
You can also use DC8C on master bus, I found it so versatile that you can do whatever you want with it, and I'm talking about easy modes. You just have to spend some time and learn, it's more than worth it.

If you want the SSL glue effect, I have found free Klanghelm DC1A to do a wonderful job glueing a mix together with input at -5, output at +5 dB, "deep" and "relaxed" modes on. Even just putting VOS ThrillseekerLA mix level to -18dB gives you an exact sound, you don't have to touch anything else.

Regarding "digital" and "analog" EQs, here's a myth busting article I think you will find very interesting, there's a mention of Ableton's oversampling option, although it applies to a previous EQ version Andy didn't work on.
http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=361
It's easy if you know how

You might like the EVE-AT series: AT1 & AT4 - $65 for the pair
http://www.kuassa.com/products/eve-at-series/

Taken from the website

The Kuassa EVE-AT1 / EVE-AT4 consists of two individual EQs inspired by the design of the legendary Neve* 1081 and 1084 that are known for their clear, smooth, and very musical characteristics. We are thrilled by the sound and present these EQs as a modern tribute to one of the most influential audio tools ever created.

Both the AT1 and AT4 were designed with simplicity and clarity in mind, allowing for straightforward usage and immediate productivity. Although they share certain tonal characteristics, the EVE-AT1 and EVE-AT4 reveal their differences in the details. The EVE-AT4 is the stronger ‘character’ equalizer, while the EVE-AT1 is suitable as a ‘go-to’ equalizer for a wide range of instruments and musical applications.

it sounds like equilibrium is really what you are looking for (even though I haven't used them)... afaik, it has the same idea of 'simple interface on top of a complex model underneath that you can get to if you want to.

one thing that might help.... a lot of the artist EQs is in the knowledge for those bands... i.e. instead of modifying 3k, you modify 'harshness' or something like that, and it knows that's 3K. you could build some of these kinds of presets on top of EQ pretty easily, and just map the gains to the macro knobs. then, even though it's technically a node EQ, you just work with the knobs and don't have to see the nodes.

one final suggestion: investigate a dynamic EQ, like MDynamicEQ (was $39 recently? i have this one, it also has great visualizations). dynamic EQs can be used like fixed EQs usually if you want to, but they do a _lot_ more, sufficiently different to what's in Live to make it worth it imho.

The OP's budget is 50€, Equilibrium is not even near that price level.

lesha wrote: You can also use DC8C on master bus, I found it so versatile that you can do whatever you want with it, and I'm talking about easy modes. You just have to spend some time and learn, it's more than worth it.

If you want the SSL glue effect, I have found free Klanghelm DC1A to do a wonderful job glueing a mix together with input at -5, output at +5 dB, "deep" and "relaxed" modes on. Even just putting VOS ThrillseekerLA mix level to -18dB gives you an exact sound, you don't have to touch anything else.
ok i will stay with dc8c2. thanx for that powerful tip :)

Everglide wrote:You might like the EVE-AT series: AT1 & AT4 - $65 for the pair
http://www.kuassa.com/products/eve-at-series/

Taken from the website

The Kuassa EVE-AT1 / EVE-AT4 consists of two individual EQs inspired by the design of the legendary Neve* 1081 and 1084 that are known for their clear, smooth, and very musical characteristics. We are thrilled by the sound and present these EQs as a modern tribute to one of the most influential audio tools ever created.

Both the AT1 and AT4 were designed with simplicity and clarity in mind, allowing for straightforward usage and immediate productivity. Although they share certain tonal characteristics, the EVE-AT1 and EVE-AT4 reveal their differences in the details. The EVE-AT4 is the stronger ‘character’ equalizer, while the EVE-AT1 is suitable as a ‘go-to’ equalizer for a wide range of instruments and musical applications.
yep. this are the kind of eq styles i prefer. ones without nodes/splines. what are these type of eqs called? im sure that one could create a great mix using these types of eqs. sure, for the more advanced producer, they would create a better mix with a more advanced eq though for the noob, they would just destroy their mix. at1 looks lie another eq i will consider.

AstralExistence wrote:
lesha wrote: You can also use DC8C on master bus, I found it so versatile that you can do whatever you want with it, and I'm talking about easy modes. You just have to spend some time and learn, it's more than worth it.

ok i will stay with dc8c2. thanx for that powerful tip :)
NP. Try punch mode, low ratio, adjust calibration in relation to the input signal to give it enough headroom, and a slow attack (150ms worked for me, as well as 150ms release). Threshold to taste. Gain reduction meter was extremely helpful. Use your own ears, and adjust parameters according to the material you work with, I'm making house/techno music, so these settings might not work for everyone.

so just tried iieq pro. this eq is actually very easy to use. i wasn't expecting that.

AstralExistence wrote:so just tried iieq pro. this eq is actually very easy to use. i wasn't expecting that.
TB Equalizer is not so different, and it has Mid/Side mode which I find great considering the price.
All Pass filter (APF) in IIEQ Pro parallel mode is a great tool when used along other filter types :wink:

AstralExistence wrote:so just tried iieq pro. this eq is actually very easy to use. i wasn't expecting that.
I have IIEQ Pro and DC8C2 on just about every track in Live. Glue on the master. I think they work really well together. Have used the DDMF stuff a lot over the years, so haven't got into EQ8 properly (altho I know I should).

I prefair third party plugins to Abletons but some of Lives effects are done by third parties.

EQ Eight in Ableton Live 9 was re programed by Cytomic. If you already have Live 9 I would stick with that Andy at Cytomic is very highly regarded he also made The Glue compressor in Live 9.
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kaboom75 wrote:EQ Eight in Ableton Live 9 was re programed by Cytomic. If you already have Live 9 I would stick with that Andy at Cytomic is very highly regarded he also made The Glue compressor in Live 9.
so if i stick with eq 8, which compressor do i use in live for tracking and which for mastering?

The glue is best for tracks and master but Live 9 also has a nice multiband compressor. Use the one your ears prefair.

Double click EQ Eight analyser and it transforms it into a better larger GUI with more controls.
Right click EQ Eight to see the enable oversampling option.

Right click the Glue to see the enable oversampling option.
Click the triangle top left of The Glue to open it's EQ and side chain options.

Info about Live 9 EQ Eight and Live's The Glue at Cytomic https://cytomic.com/ableton-and-cytomic
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Effects”