whats the best dub delay vst?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
NastyDLA

whats the best dub delay vst out there?

Audio Damage Dubstation is one of the best ones.
Check out the TAL freebies too, they are nice.
:)

I'm pretty partial to ArcDev's ET-301. Modeled after a Boss DM-100, it has plenty of grit, with controllable modulation, and does the whole analog-delay-pitch-shifty-potsmoking-infinite-feedback thing quite nicely. It's deceptive in its strength because there's a hidden "rear" panel too. You can sync to tempo, or go old-school with it instead. If you want clean and pristine, look elsewhere. But if dirty, retro, analog-style is what you need, this tool might be just the thing.

Oh, and it's free! ArcDev's website is no more, but you can still find a download here.

funky lime wrote:there's a hidden "rear" panel too.
Been using it for years but never noticed this.
Found it, thanks for the hint.

I finally settled on AudioDamage's Dubstation. The sound is perfect for dub style delay. It's extremely low on CPU and dead simple to use. One of my only complaint is on the automation side of things in Ableton, which seems to have trouble adjusting the cutoffs which I can't tell if it's an Ableton issue or an AudioDamage issue. Otherwise, I just wish there was a larger interface (but I usually just use Push to adjust, except for the cutoff knobs).

Otherwise I hear that the Roland Space Echo (UAD, not a VST) is the best. I haven't tried it but am only mentioning it here because in my quest for a dub delay, this one kept getting the nod toward being the best.

What makes a good dub delay?
(Genuine question)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:What makes a good dub delay?
(Genuine question)
It's got to have dub in the name :hihi:

A pretty good free dub delay is the Bionic Supa Delay (but it's 32 bit Windows only):

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_donationware.shtml

For those, extra bouncy modulated delays (tape based), you cant beat this.

Created by Roland in 1973, the Space Echo has been adding wonderful tape character and chaos to performances and recordings since its inception. Pink Floyd and David Bowie, countless reggae and dub albums, to more recent bands like Portishead and Radiohead, all offer examples of the warm, highly adjustable tape delays that the Space Echo affords. UA spent over a year developing our RE-201 Space Echo — considered the best of the Space Echo line — to capture the physical behavior of this complex device, “warts and all.” The resulting RE-201 Space Echo plug-in is truly a unique instrument unto itself.

BUT, this one aint so bad either:

The original Echoplex hardware boxes employed an infinite tape loop combined with a sliding record head, allowing the user to set the desired delay length. Of course, as an analog tape-based unit, there were many idiosyncrasies along the way — including distortion, wow and flutter, self-oscillation, squelch effects, and other vintage magic. The EP-34 plug-in emulates all of these attributes, with a record head slider that can be moved in real time and used in conjunction with an Echo Repeats control to create echo and pitch chaos. The distinct, musical input clipping of the original hardware is also captured via a Record Volume control, giving the EP-34 some subtle to not-so-subtle tonal coloring and distortion as desired. Recreating the infinite delay times afforded by a sliding record head — as well as capturing the desirable distortion of the hardware's preamp circuit — were difficult and DSP-intensive tasks, but the experts at UA sweated every last detail, ensuring that the EP-34 plug-in is verifiably the most accurate model for those who want the distinct, chaotic Echoplex sound, "warts and all."

Rhythm Labs 'Twin Delay' is great for dub style stuff: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/twin_de ... ab/details

The P&M 'Echoflex' is worth a look too, nice and responsive when you twiddle the delay knob: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/p-and-m ... ix/details

You may still be able to get it free in return for a FB like...?

Nasty dla for the time being.
Dub it up blacker than dread

I always go with ET-301 or DubStation. Sometimes both.

For me it´s Nasty DLA. Feedback sounds like the real deal to me. Lots of cool routings. A wonderful LP Filter. The saturation makes everything 3d (Ferric TDS Tape Sim). Very analogueish noise. One of the most gentle sounding ducking features I have ever heard on a VST.

I wish THE ECHO from Reason would be available as a VST.

:wheee: :wheee: :wheee: " MUSH UP DA PLACE....BOW....MUSH UP DA PLACE...SELECTA...REWIND IT..." :wheee: :wheee: :wheee:

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

I always end up using Fabfilter Timeless 2 for my dub delays. Also check out Sound Toys Little Primal Tap which is excellent for dub delays.

Mushy Mushy wrote:What makes a good dub delay?
(Genuine question)
I would recommend listening to some good old Dub. I am not an expert but I like stuff from "Studio One" (King Tubby etc) and "Greensleeves" (Capital Letters, Clint Eastwood etc) .

Then some good old 90s Basic Channel, Maurizo and Rhythm and Sound Dub Techno.

Listen to those delays and the combos (eg. spring reverb on snare into delay), the sound of the feedback, how everything evolves and decays.

Recreate it in your DAW: if your delays sound like them -> good dub delay.

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Return to “Effects”