Need a light compressor for vocals (used in real-time/live onstage)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Maxwell Smart ReaComp Vocalist

rasmusklump wrote:
realmarco wrote:you can't use a compressor plugin inside a DAW for live!
With 48 samples latency on my rme interface I do this dayly and have no problems at all.....
I play my guitar thru my interface, into an amp/effects with no real issues, but guitar may be different. People are more used to playing with a smidge of latency than they realize.

the OP says in his original post that his lappy is slow(is word is shitty) and doesn't take cpu intensive plugs very easily - which is why I think he need an outboard box rather than a different real-time plug
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I have never and will never incorporate a laptop into my live rig.

I want as close to 100% reliability as I can get when there's an audience waiting. Having traveled with laptops for almost 30 years for business, they do not inspire that level of confidence.

An inexpensive second-hand (real, not virtual) compressor would be your best solution. It doesn't need to be studio-grade. Check eBay and Craigslist. I'll bet you can find something for very little outlay.

Blockfish :D

realmarco wrote:
rasmusklump wrote:
With 48 samples latency on my rme interface I do this dayly and have no problems at all.....
Point of hardware compressor is no latency whatsoever

48 samples ? that can't be right

did u do the cable-from-from-out-into-input and measure the recording delay test ?

aha, you know what is right or not here on my side - interesting....
The op did not ask about hardware compressors. I answered to HIS question.
And I don't have to measure anything when I feel comfortable with the sound of my voice I am getting in my headphones

rasmusklump wrote:
izonin wrote: BUT you said that you scream/shout occasionally. That's gonna overload the A/D, and can't be fixed with a DAW plugin. A cheap 1176 clone off of ebay is your only solution.
Of course it is possible: just set the gain right...
To compensate for the shouting he'll have to lower the gain by 18-20dB. That will raise the noise floor. Then the noise is gonna be compressed by the plugin and made even more apparent. It might work for some live situations. I've tried it myself for tracking, and wasn't satisfied with the results.

There's latency... like one tenth of a second or so, hardly enough to worry about.

an-electric-heart wrote:There's latency... like one tenth of a second or so, hardly enough to worry about.
still wont prevent A to D converter Distortion
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

rasmusklump wrote:
realmarco wrote:
rasmusklump wrote:
Point of hardware compressor is no latency whatsoever

48 samples ? that can't be right

did u do the cable-from-from-out-into-input and measure the recording delay test ?

aha, you know what is right or not here on my side - interesting....
The op did not ask about hardware compressors. I answered to HIS question.
And I don't have to measure anything when I feel comfortable with the sound of my voice I am getting in my headphones
I'm very curious - What RME unit do you have? And what computer (specs?)? I'm on a babyface on a top-of-the-line PC and I can't get anywhere close to 48.

Anyway, I made a video a couple of days ago at practice, I use VST's all over my voice, I've never had any problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQcZDhjChjc

Return to “Effects”