Changing the pitch of a sample, mid-sample, using a midi reference track?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've not had any luck googling this, as I'm not sure I'm phrasing the question very well. Here's what I'm hoping to do...

I really like making drones in Paulstretch. It's something I'd like to build tracks around. I'm finding though that they're very fiddly to work with in Melodyne (the basic version that comes bundled with Sonar X3), I guess it's not really the kind of use it's intended for.

What I'd really like to be able to do is import my sound file into something, and change it's pitch via a pianoroll, so I could view it simply along with my midi tracks. Is that possible? I've played around with a couple of VST samplers, but they seem only able to retrigger the file at a chosen pitch, rather than pitch bend the sample currently playing. Is that the case?

Hyoscine wrote:I've played around with a couple of VST samplers, but they seem only able to retrigger the file at a chosen pitch, rather than pitch bend the sample currently playing. Is that the case?
It depends entirely on the sampler, and what you're actually trying to do; pitchbend exists in most synths and samplers, but the range it works across varies, and its generally tied to the control for the pitch bend wheel.

Given the fact that you're working with drones etc, I'd suggest you have a look at a granular sampler, eg Granite

http://www.newsonicarts.com/html/granite.php

Pitch is automatable in Granite, so you could do what you're asking that way.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Given the fact that you're working with drones etc, I'd suggest you have a look at a granular sampler, eg Granite
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Kontakt can do this with its time machine mode set to legato. It will jump to the new pitch and continue from where it was without starting over. This can also be accomplished with most granular synths and additive resynthesis based synths. I know alchemy can do it and so can harmor. Also both of those synths will let you create some pretty amazing drones without using paulstretch as they allow basically infinite time stretching. So does kontakt for that matter.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Cheers, so much of trying to find my way with this kind of thing is learning the right terms for things. I think I'm going to grab DirectWave as a cheap-ish legato capable sampler, and start saving for Kontakt.

Granular synthesis sounds incredibly interesting, if conceptually a little daunting. I think it's probably where I want to be sound-wise though. It's definitely something I'm going to start dabbling with, thanks for pointing it out as an option.

Return to “Effects”