Shattered Glass Audio releases SGA1566 - free, circuit simulation powered preamp plug-in

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SGA1566 SGA1566 MkII

I see that there's a version update, but how do I check what version I'm using? There's no version statement in the UI.
Also, please get rid of the installer, it's not only suspicious but also pretty stupid (not knowing where's my VST folder means that no effort was put there). DLL will surely do.

The plugin is great. I highly recommend to try it out.
No "sheen" there, yes, cause it pretty much cuts out anything above 13kHz, but I was able to "trick" it with lowering speed of my source and then speeding it up back again after processing — don't work well on a full mix (you'll lose some of your LFs), but worked great on a sampled drumloop, it now has a certain overdriven vibe but without losing clarity of a top end it had.

Great for samples.
Very interesting on guitars reamping, both on pre and post stages. By the way, I used Ace emulation here, also by Shattered Glass, as SGA got my attention.
Don't even try to use it running on a full project. It's CPU hungry just as much as they say. It really pays off though, and I don't like low CPU mode sound, so I'd stick to some difficulties.

Considering that it is a donationware, it's an instant must-have.
https://soundcloud.com/vospi
I love music, worked with a number of music/rhythm/dance games like Pump It Up, In The Groove, Cytus and Deemo, and teach music production.

I presume you donated some money, considering it's an instant must have. :D

Can't get it to download here ... gets to 181mb and stops. I get the "file is corrupt, please redownload" message every time.

[EDIT] false alert.
Last edited by Tp3 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

@thecontrolcentre
I have just downloaded all three installers from the website without a problem. Windows installers are about 1Mb each and Mac installer is about 3.5 Mb.

@Tp3
Please, PM me with details.

Massive high freq roll off on previous version and latest downloaded today (approx -3db at 10k) with oversampling on. This is visible in both Budde VST analyser and Reaper (with Voxengo SPAN) so not a host issue. I assume this is not intentional??

Regards,

provoc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In 96kHz operation + tweaking an oversampling rate there's no change in HF performance for me.

In 44.1, there's definitely a difference between 1x and 2x, (1x contains much more HF) but I'm not sure it's not a part of the design. Curious now. :)
https://soundcloud.com/vospi
I love music, worked with a number of music/rhythm/dance games like Pump It Up, In The Groove, Cytus and Deemo, and teach music production.

@provoc
From your graph. The base line is not 0dB but ~-2dB. At 10kHz you get less than 1dB roll off from the base line.
Having said that I have to add that VST Analyzer is not the best tool you can find.
If you want to see the real roll off. Put a 10 kHz signal through. With spectral analyzer, like Voxengo SPAN with block size large enough so it does not affect the reading, find out what are the readings at 10 kHz at no oversampling and oversampling. Difference between those two numbers will give you the attenuation.
When you do that you will see that there is no noticeable roll off at 10 kHz, and about 3dB at 15 kHz for 44.1 kHz and and somewhat less than 3dB for 48 kHz sampling rates.
You will also find out that there is no roll off, in the audible rage, for 96 kHz and 88.2 kHz sampling rates at any oversampling.

Reaper 64-bit version, 64-bit dll Reaper hangs when it detects SGA1566 and says “Plug-in ‘SGA1566.dll’ executed invalid operation during scanning Note: if REAPER crashes as a result of this, simply run it again and it will continue on the next plug-in.”

Sony Vegas 64-bit version gives a similar message and fails likewise.

I’m on a Core i5 Windows 7

Please, try downloading it again? There is a 1.0.6 version on the website. Reaper is one of the DAWs that we test with.
I have just downloaded and installed the 64-bit SGA1566.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

But how do you know which version is which, both at your site and in my daw?

I have same problem too, reaper 64bit with SGA1566.dll 64bit version (downloaded and installed couple minutes ago)
I also have same experience with your ACE.dll plugin too
and I'm on a core i5 windows 7 too
I did clear cache-rescan plugin as u told me in ace's thread and still have same problem.

is there any requirement file or something installed in my system to able run your plug-ins?
I'm not sure about this since i lack of knowledge about programing.

big thanks for your work and sorry for my bad english.
CoMmErCiAlStUfFkIlLmYsOuNd

@fleer
DAW should tell you which version of the plug-in was found.
Only the latest version is on the web site.

@hanzkingz
Ace and SGA1566. :? There is nothing you need to install in addition to dlls. I'll poke around see what I can come up with.

Hi SGA,

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes you are right it was a dodgy graph!

Here is 1x, 2x and 4x in Reaper at 44.1/24 with pink noise and SPAN and it behaves pretty much as you say and indeed 96k shows no such issue. Probably not really noticeable on an individual instrument track but could be on a full mix and definitely audible on the pink noise.

I generally use 44.1 since I have one or two VSTi’s that don’t work well at 96 .. but have not seen this before with other oversampling plugs (e.g. voxengo, vladg etc.).

Cheers,

provoc

Return to “Effects”