Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Ozone 6 / Neuron Plugin Scanner ??

Sim.Sky
KVRian

622 posts since 26 Sep, 2014, from Kingshill Valley

Postby Sim.Sky; Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:00 pm Ozone 6 / Neuron Plugin Scanner ??

hey there,

does anyone of you know, what a certain "neuron plugin scanner" has to do with ozone 6? when i used the standalone version, my firewall blocked it several times, since it wanted to connect to the internet. it's obviously included in the ozone software, because it was in the application package (i'm on mac). therefore i don't think it's some malware thing, but i still would like to know what this program does and why it wants to establish an internet connection. maybe a (new) kind of copy protection? any thoughts on that?

-simon
skrap
KVRer

2 posts since 26 Mar, 2015

Postby skrap; Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:42 am Re: Ozone 6 / Neuron Plugin Scanner ??

Hey Simon,
I'm the iZotope engineer who worked on that particular feature. Ozone uses a helper application to scan your host for plugins to use. We do this because some plugins will simply crash the program upon loading, and we'd rather have an invisible background process crash, than Ozone itself go down. "Neuron Plugin Scanner" is the name of that invisible background program. It communicates with the Ozone application via a loopback connection to your own computer (via IP address 127.0.0.1, which always just goes back to your own computer). It never connects to any other computer, iZotope, the internet, or anything else!

It seems to me that your firewall software is using some misleading language — "connect to the internet" is very different from "connect to another program on your own machine".

Anyhow, I hope that clears up some of your concerns! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jonah
Sim.Sky
KVRian

622 posts since 26 Sep, 2014, from Kingshill Valley

Postby Sim.Sky; Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:14 am Re: Ozone 6 / Neuron Plugin Scanner ??

hi jonah,

thank you very much for clarifying the situation :) i'm not sure how exactly the firewall in mac os x works, but if it the program is a legitimate part of ozone and only works as a kind of performance helper, there should be no problems at all i guess!

thanks again and kind regards

-simon
skrap
KVRer

2 posts since 26 Mar, 2015

Postby skrap; Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:33 am Re: Ozone 6 / Neuron Plugin Scanner ??

Hi Simon,

One other thing I thought I should add: it IS possible that a plug-in which is being loaded & tested inside the Plugin Scanner program could be connecting to the internet. That would be the plug-in's code making that connection, and we do not prevent plug-ins under test from making IP connections. So, it might be some 3rd party plugin being scanned which is connecting to some external source and triggering the firewall warning. Just wanted to add that as a possibility.

Have a great day,
Jonah

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects