Catanya alternative

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I absolutely love catanya, but lately I was wondering if there's an alternative to it because it can only do three notes of a chord and sometimes I need more for dim or other special chords.

I don't care much about normal ARPs that are just capable of rhythm.

So is there a vst that can do this or is there a way of having catanya do this?

Thanks,

Have you checked out Nora already ? Similar in functionality to Catanya.
Although I own it I can't say off top of my head if it supports more than three notes at a time (haven't done much with it yet).

https://www.squaredheads.com/

KVR thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=425600

Up to 7 notes per octave, 5 octaves maximum, it's an user preference ;)

It's not like that. For harmonising chords you don't need all the notes. Chords are not all the notes in the scale, but sometimes more than just three.:)

Nora is really just a Catanya with seven legs, three humps, five eyes, poison sacks and it can cook soup. Confusing, bloated and unintuitive, but very interesting.

Anything can seem confusing and unintuitive before you learn how it does what it does, and it doesn't take very long to learn Nora if you spend some dedicated time with it. I wouldn't call a lot of great features "bloated," but to each his own...

I consider something bloated when the features get in the way of usability. In the case of Nora, the developers have done a good job of implementing the new features in a way that doesn't get in the way of using the basic features. I think too many people looking at Nora are trying to go straight to advanced even if that is not what they need. (For example, some people find multiple tracks/channels useful, but I have not needed it.) It would be helpful if there were a series of tutorial videos starting with using the basic functionality (which is similar to Cantanya, but there are more notes and it is more flexible) and then introducing more advanced features one by one.

Nora completely destroys Catanya!

I like Nora. As I said, I think it's very interesting. I've got it teamed with Cthulu which makes it even more weird.

But I do think it's a camel. There's a lot of features in there which belong in a sequencer or DAW and seem an odd addition to me. And the fact that you can access certain things in certain areas, and append patterns in other areas (I'm at work or I'd be more specific, sorry) make it pretty clumsy imo. IMO it's not a well thought out design in terms of logical control or usability.

But I don't regret buying it for one moment.

Musical Gym wrote:Anything can seem confusing and unintuitive before you learn how it does what it does, and it doesn't take very long to learn Nora if you spend some dedicated time with it. I wouldn't call a lot of great features "bloated," but to each his own...
Agreed. Nora is great and not hard to learn, like most software. The more time you spend on it the more you get out of it.

Musical Gym wrote:
Anything can seem confusing and unintuitive before you learn how it does what it does, and it doesn't take very long to learn Nora if you spend some dedicated time with it. I wouldn't call a lot of great features "bloated," but to each his own...

Agreed. Nora is great and not hard to learn, like most software. The more time you spend on it the more you get out of it.
That said, It would still be good to have more tutorials. Especially "step by step" tutorials for new users. The promo videos are cool, but I think more tutorials would result in people getting up to speed more quickly and potential buyers understanding the product which would probably result in more people buying Nora.

Return to “Effects”