What Freeware AUDIO FX Types are being Neglected for development?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More cross-platform. If the outstanding Windows freeware could have Mac versions and vice versa that would be a good start.

Also, perhaps clear pathways for first-time developers to learn?
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Did you try my Guitar Gadgets ?

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/guitar- ... al-entropy

It is a freeware in 32/64 bits for Windows and Mac OS X, and includes various effects such as a phaser, a delay, a reverb, tube distortion, a simple Leslie, a funny tape simulation with wow and flutter, a bitcrusher etc. I don't want to do advertising for my own stuff in general, but since it is freeware and looks like for something you might want to try...

Tell me if my message isn't appropriate here

Guitar Gadgets is indeed pretty good project...a bit on the goofy side(maybe because of UI) and fun, but very powerful.

I derailed the topic a bit I know, but regarding the golden era of freeware I was trying to point out that all the once very productive devs of freeware or "cheap underground payware" are now gone. Variety of Sounds, Antress, De La Mancha, LePou, Wok, Gsi and others are now pretty much gone :scared: . We still have amazing stuff like Vladg/Tokyo, Klanghelm , SkNote, Sonimus and Ignite Amps though.

Never heard about anything similiar to Ableton Corpus, and this is gamechanger to me. Basically it is physical modelling effect which simulates characteristics of resonant objects. It gives results as nothing else (convolution, shapers etc.), as it's nonlinear and can generate harmonic content out of thin air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO_DMEmcg5U

I use it mostly for bass synthesis for sounds which lack it (FM, granular, sampled instruments). It works as the instrument of your choice was attached to drum membrane, and it's awesome.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

What I would love, and there was one in development for a while, is a VST Lexicon Vortex; weird delays, algorithm morphing and cross-modulation like no other unit or effect yet released. If I had the slightest clue about programming, I'd have built it by now. One of these, fully automatable, would be incredible.
* coffee please, black, no sugar *

Here's one for you... a *real* stereo panner. Most DAWs and panning plugins merely reduce the volume on the side you're panning away from. If you record a stereo signal where the right and left sounds are different, panning (as it is available now) will eliminate half of your sound, merely reducing one side to inaudible silence.

I want a panner that actually moves the audio across the stereo field, from side to side. For example, If I pan hard left, the left channel sound should be audibly moved farther left and the right channel sound should be somewhere closer to the center.

RichieWitch wrote:Here's one for you... a *real* stereo panner. Most DAWs and panning plugins merely reduce the volume on the side you're panning away from. If you record a stereo signal where the right and left sounds are different, panning (as it is available now) will eliminate half of your sound, merely reducing one side to inaudible silence.

I want a panner that actually moves the audio across the stereo field, from side to side. For example, If I pan hard left, the left channel sound should be audibly moved farther left and the right channel sound should be somewhere closer to the center.

Sleepy Time Dual Panner kinda does what you're after. http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1214

mutantdog wrote:
RichieWitch wrote:Here's one for you... a *real* stereo panner. Most DAWs and panning plugins merely reduce the volume on the side you're panning away from. If you record a stereo signal where the right and left sounds are different, panning (as it is available now) will eliminate half of your sound, merely reducing one side to inaudible silence.

Sleepy Time Dual Panner kinda does what you're after. http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1214
Sort of... I have Dual Panner and ran several tests on it when I discovered that Ableton Live does not contain a real panning control. It turns out nearly all DAWs are missing this basic ability.

Unfortunately, Dual Panner just allows you to reverse the two channels, although you can adjust how far. But I can't push the left or right channels, *more* left or right than they are in the original material, and I can't preserve a stereo image that was created during live recording.

What I'm really looking is to be able to take a something that I recorded with a mid/side microphone setup, like a flute, and move the stereo image of that instrument away from center. For example, if I want it to sound like the flute is standing slightly to the left and the acoustic guitar slightly to the right. But a without real panning ability, all it does it remove the right channel information and I lose part of my carefully-recorded stereo effect.

Just split the stereo into dual mono, mix and pan left and right however you want? Instead of strict balance control, you can filter one side or the other, add reflection, etc.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

I think apart from VOS (32bit, win only) there are no other tape sims out there.

RichieWitch wrote:What I'm really looking is to be able to take a something that I recorded with a mid/side microphone setup, like a flute, and move the stereo image of that instrument away from center. For example, if I want it to sound like the flute is standing slightly to the left and the acoustic guitar slightly to the right. But a without real panning ability, all it does it remove the right channel information and I lose part of my carefully-recorded stereo effect.
I see what you mean, I'm not sure if its exactly what you want but A1 Stereo Control is pretty comprehensive and it has a dual pan mode too. http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/index ... reocontrol

Not enough freeware reverbs! Though Valhalla is so cheap and excellent. Would be nice to have some non-lexicon type verbs in general. My rackmount Yamaha SPX Vocal Reverb still gets a lot of love(pretty sparse but no plug-in comes close). Something like the Sony reverbs would be great too - again, everybody is too obsessed with lexicon...or chasing the holy grail of 'natural' reverb, which is nice but not always useful in a mix!

Though, developing reverb takes a whole lot of time and skill, so I can understand why there is little choice available in the freeware arena.

Andrew

A good free spring reverb is definitely missing.

+1 for something like Ableton's Corpus

mutantdog wrote:I see what you mean, I'm not sure if its exactly what you want but A1 Stereo Control is pretty comprehensive and it has a dual pan mode too. http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/index ... reocontrol
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Return to “Effects”