ToneBoosters: New License Transfer Policy

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Given how affordable those plugins are and what great value you get for your money, I understand that they are tired of people reselling their plugins. I see it so often in the market place forum and I just don't understand it...

fluffy_little_something wrote: I see it so often in the market place forum and I just don't understand it...
What exactly you don't understand fluffy? That people offer or that people buying it 2nd hand?

PS.I think the "Problem" is radically solved by Jereon now anyway.. :hihi:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Both, that people offer and buy such cheap plugins.

Limeflavour wrote:Just because the plugin is only worth 20€ doesn't mean that Jeroen's time is worth 0€.
+1

firepile wrote:
Limeflavour wrote:Just because the plugin is only worth 20€ doesn't mean that Jeroen's time is worth 0€.
+1
+1

Kr3eM wrote:
firepile wrote:
+1
+1
+1
(Let's see how many reply layers the board software supports :hihi: )

lnikj wrote:It is only automated if you don't have to pay the $4.
Are you sure, have you tried it? I admit I never have (love the AD products I own :)) but I understood you were activating a one-time transfer on the item which then allowed you to do everything through the site:

?

If I'm wrong then please correct me, just want the truth out there. :)

GaryG wrote:
lnikj wrote:It is only automated if you don't have to pay the $4.
Are you sure, have you tried it? I admit I never have (love the AD products I own :)) but I understood you were activating a one-time transfer on the item which then allowed you to do everything through the site:

?

If I'm wrong then please correct me, just want the truth out there. :)
Not there on my product. If you insist on the detail then here it is.

On the first sale I emailed him to ask how to do the transfer on 16/1/15, 20/1/15 and 1/2/15.

I finally got an email back on 11/2/15 stating " 914 doesn’t have a transfer option because it’s an exchange. I have to transfer it manually. Just let me know the buyer’s AD account email is and I’ll move it."

I had, of course, lost the buyer by this point, but I got a new buyer later and emailed him again on 1/5/15 and 4/5/15. I have yet to receive a reply.

There, the truth is out there ;)

The $4 transfer fee is only for the plugins which are already transferred once in the past - which i find pretty fair btw.
Why he not response to you as original owner then is another story.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

lnikj wrote:
GaryG wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:He could have also adopted a similar policy to that of GForce or Audio Damage and just made the product NFR after the first transfer.
For the record, Audio Damage plugs *do not* become NFR after the first transfer. Only the first transfer by the original buyer is free though, after that subsequent owners have to pay a very reasonable $4 transfer fee.
:lol: I wish! They do become NFR because Chris Randall never replies to emails. I've twice had to remove a plugin for sale despite having 'sold' it because of Chris not replying to the transfer request.
I had a slightly different, but not great, experience. I bought a 2nd hand license for v2 of a plugin (including v1). It crashed frequently for me, so I decided to sell it soon afterwards, and since it was so soon after I'd bought it, I thought asking first was only the polite thing to do, even though I expected a positive response according to what I thought the rules were.

For some reason though, as I found out soon after, I didn't have the option to transfer this with the $4 fee, as I did with my only other AD plugin. He maybe even seemed slightly bitter about the whole thing, and I can't recall the explanation given for why this license was not transferrable. We got into a bit of a "discussion", and it even got a bit argumentative at one point. To be fair, he did finally agree to let me do the transfer, but by then I'd already decided it was not worth it and dropped the sale.
Last edited by maschinelf on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't make me wonder: Chris ranting about KVR marketplace was epic back then. :-D

Hi

I think that the cost of the plug IS very much relative to the transfer policy.

If I was developing and selling plugs this cheap my thought would be that no one is going to bother me with the hassle of having to transfer the ownership of the product ... surely not at this price!

These are budget plugs and I can 100% see why the developer wants to discourage people selling them - I can't really understand why someone wants to sell something at such a cheap price point anyway?

But, you can't win - if the developer stated no transfers due to low price point there would probably be disgruntled folk as well.

lnikj wrote:There, the truth is out there ;)
Good, all is right with the universe again. :)

I guess I'll qualify my statements next time but I think it's fair to say it *should* work as I described unless you have a problem product that their system can't handle (though should of course). I get the impression they're more interested in hardware at the moment, much more exciting. :D

original flipper wrote: But, you can't win - if the developer stated no transfers due to low price point there would probably be disgruntled folk as well.
Yes, we'd have the KVR armchair lawyer team (which is apparently always on retainer) decrying Toneboosters blatant disregard of the EU ruling that no one can ever seem to accurately explain.

Put me in the camp if "it's just $22." Second hand sales for it probably went around here for $12 or so. At first it appears that all this griping is about that $10 differential. So, under the new policy, you sell it second hand for $15 and give Toneboosters $10. In the end, you get $5 back instead of getting $12 under the old policy. That's $7 difference. All of this critique is over the ability to re-sell incredibly good but cheap plugins under a policy that has the potential to cause you to loose the equivalent of the cost of a value meal at McDonald's.

Baffling.

However, what I do hear every so often around KVR is this. Someone tries to sell them second hand for $15 (because of the fee). A poster pipes in with "why not just support the developer directly since it's only $7 more?" And Toneboosters potentially gets another sale.

TL; DR version: 7 is the key. 7 dwarves. 7-11. You know, 7!

original flipper wrote:But, you can't win - if the developer stated no transfers due to low price point there would probably be disgruntled folk as well.
this is a false dichotomy. having either no transfer policy or having transfer cost 50% of the plugin price aren't the only options. which was already brought up in this thread, with examples of developers charging similar prices for plugins, but charging less for transfers.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Return to “Effects”